Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 04:31 AM
Andreas.
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Hello Mike,
Hard choice you have there,
I would say that the prices of some 993TT here are very low, you can find one for half of the price of a brand new GT3!!

Personally i would go directly with the GT3 or a sweet 996TT

if you get the 550, you can try to repair and service your car as a friend does, he go to Modena Italy..just to save some$$$ !

good luck with your choice.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:17 AM
Jet993tt
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a huge Porsche fan and have owned six different examples over the years, and currently drive a 993TT. Though I love Porsches, I am open to give credit where it is deserved. In a recent Car & Driver test, the Ford GT was pitted against the Ferrari Stradale and Porsche GT3 in a series of tests including track testing at Gingerman. The Ford GT whipped the Stradale and the Porsche GT3 rather soundly by over 2 seconds a lap. The GT3 was a little faster on the course than the Stradale.

The Ford is 21% faster 0-60 and 25% faster 0-100, but it's power to weight ratio is only 8.3% better. The Porsche power to weight is 24% less than the Ford and it is 21-25% slower than the Ford, which is what you would expect. The Porsche has a 14% lower power to weight than the ferrari, but it tied or just beat the Ferrari in acceleration.

Ferrari and Porsches are great cars with great reputations and brand image, but don't let that blind you to the fact that this Ford and numerous other lesser brands are catching up and will forced the "big" guys to constantly improve.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:12 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Ford GT question is moot. The chances of him being able to get one into Switzerland without paying an outrageous premium is about zero.
Old 01-09-2004, 11:31 AM
J-McDonald
Pro

One more consideration - if you decide you want to sell in a year, the 550 will be harder to flip for a decent price than the 993TT or GT3 (at least in the US, this may be less true in Switzerland).
Old 01-09-2004, 11:55 AM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by J-McDonald
One more consideration - if you decide you want to sell in a year, the 550 will be harder to flip for a decent price than the 993TT or GT3 (at least in the US, this may be less true in Switzerland).
It's all relative. The lower you buy, the lower you sell. I think all three cars are desirable enough but none is an investment.
Old 01-09-2004, 07:04 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The C&D "test" was little more than an elaborate advertising article for the GT. Nevertheless, I've played with (but not yet driven) the GT and it's impressive. And not just because it's coming from such a low expectation of Fords.

I've enjoyed reading this thread despite the "Porsche vs. Ferrari" debate being a well worn topic, it's interesting to read new first-hand reports from people working on the cars.

My well-healed Ferrari friends say the Maranello and the Modena are revolutionary Ferraris for their daily-driver capabilities and relatively low operating costs. Even so, at least one friend thought it was too hot in the kitchen and got out after keeping a Modena a little too long and ending up with a major service bill.

I drove a 456 and found it a little ho-hum even though it sounded delightful and I didn't want to give it back. Just the thrill of the thing was a novel and exciting time, but it doesn't have the range or versatility of a 993 Turbo and the insurance alone would be prohibitive in the California.

I don't see the three cars as directly comparable (perhaps other than market prices in your country) so the decision is a bit easier for me. A nice 993 Turbo is about US$75K, a GT3 is only available as an '04 on the road, $100K+ and the Maranello is a tad over $100K except maybe for weary 456's. If all three happened to be about the same dollars, I'd get the GT3 and know that one day I'd end up with a 993 Turbo and possibly never buy another street car. Also, if you can live without the prestige and "look at me" of the Ferrari, I'd also suggest you consider driving a 993 Carrera 2S, not much cheaper than a Turbo in California, the normally aspirated cars appeal to me.

Of course, being in Switzerland, you're probably attracted to the neutral handling of the GT3 -- ha! get it? neutral? Switzerland? ha!

Cheers,
Old 01-11-2004, 07:57 AM
Mike in Switzerland
Instructor

Nice one Carrera GT! Î`ve been offline whilst travelling in Italy (Rome) and whilst I could view the forums on my smartphone I couldn`t reply - frustrating!

I managed to view a couple of 550`s whilst on this "work" trip and the passion (religious fervour?) that the dealers have for all things Italian is unbelieveable - I wish i could translate 10% of it into my sales teams!

Francesco (who works as our sales manager) knew it would interest me so we got to look at a `98 in titanium with red leather and a black (nero) with creme leather.

Both were awsome, and a slightly sexist side effect of both visits was the fact that lunch was offered in both cases (accepted in one) and the dealer had some stunning girls "join" us for lunch. Francesco later referred to them as "asthetics" which all companies in a public-facing business employ.

Needless to say the Ferrari salesman did a great job of building this emotional picture that life is beautiful with a Ferrari and even though no deal was done I walked away feeling that i`d just been to a great party (lunch ended after 4:00pm).

Of course anybody selling a big-ticket product in a relatively flat market (1st week of January) may want to make a bit more of an effort but it made me reflect on the culture differences that exist between both cars.

Certainly Porsches are my first love, and having been to Stuttgart on three separate occassions that view is confirmed, but on this visit something else stirred (easy boys!).

It was probably the efficiency of Porsche`s sales and servicing organisation that has always impressed on the quality level but never excited on the emotional one.

I suppose the fairest comparison would be to visit an Italian Porsche dealer and see the reaction they provide.

Certainly my love of Ferraris is with the 60`s to late 90`s models (I`m 38). The F355 & F550 were to my mind the pinnacle of a great range. The 456 and 360 (except in convertible form - awesome) haven`t seemed so attractive (to my mind) and the new GT for next summer seems to perpetuate that feeling.

The advice re the TT is true. Whilst I only live at 200 metres in Switzerland the odd mountain blast in the summer is fun, although the very essence of that sort of driving is to be up early before the lorries get onto the mountain and enjoy the curves and the view - not to try and break speed records.

I trialled the idea of a TT as a daily-driver AND a 550M for the weekend and my wife`s look made me park that suggestion quite quickly.

Whilst I do not want to slavishly buy one just "because it has to be done", I am at an unusual position car and timing-wise where I can make one work as a personal car for about the next 18 months.

Anyway I`ve now heard of a 993 Turbo S at a great price so the whole thing is turned back on it`s head! I`ll know more on that one on wednesday.

Best wishes

Mike
Thank you all for your advice. I spent yesterday
Old 01-15-2004, 01:31 AM
Meeyatch1
Instructor

Location: Fishers, Indiana (USA) and Barrie, Ontario (Canada)

Just thought I would chime in...while I am a huge fan of Porsche cars (during the summer I usually drive around in either a 993 C4 Cab, 944 Turbo S, or 914-6), the appeal of a Ferrari is undeniable. Not only from the standpoint of being unique, but the 550 Maranello is an amazing car just to hear run. Ferrari sounds are amazing, and intoxicating. Sure, you can add an exhaust to the others, but the natural nature of the car is a big advantage. That and the car has daily drivability as well as long distance touring comfort. No matter what you choose you win...I would just go for it and get the 550 Maranello.

Quick Reply: 993 TT, GT3 or 550 Marenello?