Sponsored by:

musing after tacking 993 turbo for 13 years

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 04:26 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Default musing after tacking 993 turbo for 13 years

I've had my turbo for 13 years (bought Spring 2005).
Mods off the top of my head in no specific order: solid suspension components/tilt kit, Oil cooler, hydraulic delete (manual steering rack/clutch), 2 way motons, CAE shifter, heigo roll bar, ccm brakes, weight loss - 3200 lbs with 1/2 tank of fuel and me in seat), 2wd, 40/60 Guard GT Club LSD. Engine I've gone from stock, fvd 440 ecu, UMW stage 2, Andial 3.8. r-comp tires (Nt01, R888(r) mostly).
I track maybe 1-2 days per month during track season (for us April-Sept) and I think I've been in the advanced group the whole time since 2005 ish. I'd say I'm probably high average driver, not sure how to base that.
I think I take less chances the last couple of years and my lap times haven't changed much last few years, if anything perhaps a sec a lap slower slower vs 2 years ago.

With the mods I've done, the 993 turbo has been a very reliable and fast car. I get a kick out of being able to keep up (until recently) to all the new cars and drive to and back home (most of the time) from the track. I don't see many older p-cars anymore, there is the occasional modded 996 turbo. Don't see that many 997GT3's either. There is the occasional well driven 996 gt3.

I would say until about 2-3 years ago, if I started a session in front, it would be rare to have anyone apart from race cars pass me. If I started in the back, I could catch and pass most cars (ok maybe except the odd vett and viper). I used to have lots of fun with friends in 997 gt3's. When the PDK GT3's came out, they became more of a challenge to keep up with. And friends who I used to give tips to and tracked less than me (high intermediate drivers) were running lap times similar to mine. The newer cars that were perhaps a little faster in the corners, I could catch in the straights - I can't make up ground on a PDK GT3, especially the 991 versions.

The 991 gt3's are fast, especially the PKD versions, and I don't see them drenched in sweat like me when they get out of their cars.

I don't think I can do much more to my car to make it faster. Not bad though for a now 21 year old car.

Anyone have thoughts? Who else is tracking regularly? (Overboosted?) Or have most moved on to newer cars?

Last edited by Basal Skull; 05-13-2018 at 01:12 AM.
Old 05-13-2018, 02:09 PM
sfbanchs
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 52 Posts

Thanks for sharing. I too am approaching 13 years of ownership, bought in 12/05. We got lucky in that we got in before the prices went way up, we are the original enthusiasts unlike all the other bandwagon fans that got in over the past three years to be part of the in/air cooled crowd. Never tracked mine but i do still drive it regularly, (once or twice a week), This forum used to be so active that post like this would have garnered many replies unfortunately now just crickets. I am glad you are enjoying your car as it was meant to, instead of keeping in the garage and stressing over mileage and condition. I am about to hit 99k on mine and still enjoy it as i did in 2005. Again appreciate the post.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:43 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Thx. Yeah, crickets...
I guess things have changed and I've been ignoring it.
I see no point in keeping my cars nice for the next person, I'm using them as much as I can, life's short! For me it's kind of frustrating to drive at non arrest me speeds on the street, so I take it to the track. The car is still quite fast and I don't think many cars (even the new gt cars) can in-gear out accelerate it.

Hopefully there's people who still don't mind my posts...

I actually can do one rather simple thing that should get me a couple of seconds and perhaps get back to keeping up with the new cars again. I just need figure out how to get a set a slicks to the track! hmm.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:34 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

I love your posts and taking on projects to move the car's performance forward. It is amazing that a 20 yr old car can still keep up with the new GT3s. Challenge with these cars is that it is fairly reliable and they have become collector items hence no issue is new and cars are not driven.

I have a high miler but only put on 2K miles per season at best due to family commitments and having to move two other cars, multiple bikes and scooters out of the way before firing it up deters motivation as well. Every time I take it out though, I tell myself that I should drive it more while my 6 yr old and wife all still fit together. It is truly a great car and new ones just don't feel like this.

Will never get rid of it.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:23 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes Ryojo, it’s very rewarding to make 21 yr younger cars, work for it. Not running past absolutely everyone out there, but I am NOT impeding anyone. Regularly get fast cars/drivers coming up and saying, “it’s not stock is it”? It’s always fun chasing really fast cars. My brother bought the car in early ‘05, and when he passed (late ‘06), it fell into my hands. I will never sell my car, am not abusing her, and when my meals come through straws, I’ll pass her on to my son. I also driver to, and from the track. It’s about 120 miles each way. And I’d also love to have great slicks to run on. Not gonna tow a tire dolly, or put a platform on the roof. Maybe I can convince my wife that following me in the truck (full of wheels/track stuff), is cheaper than buying a good trailer. :-0
Old 05-15-2018, 02:04 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chsu74
It is truly a great car and new ones just don't feel like this.
Will never get rid of it.
Agee!

Richard, I can't see a tow dolly or roof rack either - although I've thought of both. My wife has no interest in going to the tack with me unfortunately and doesn't like driving long distances so there's no way she'll drive another vehicle. Guys in GTR's can carry a full set of tires in their car. I have a friend in a vett who drives to the track with hoosiers in the front and carries his rear wheels in the car. I don't think that would work unless I remove the passenger seat, which wouldn't be all that bad actually - I wonder what I can fit then - hmm. I also might be able to get some storage at the track for wheels/tires.
I haven't seen your ?brother in law ?Bill recently at the Ridge. I would love to drive down to try the California tracks one day.
Old 05-18-2018, 05:03 PM
Vince964T
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same experience here. Mine is a 964t with TT engine and 440 FVD tune. Owned it since 2002. 16 years of track time. 16 years of fighting off GT3s mostly with success.
But the 991 GTs PDKs are really hard to keep up with and the Turbo S is like a fighter plane.. Accelerates like nothing else out of corners.
The 991RS gen 1 well driven is just a little bit behind my laps times with my 996CUP (on crappy slicks and I am an average driver but still impressive).

You need GT track width, may be 265s front and 325+ rears and more power to keep up I think... Or a sequential Gbox. From an economic perspective it makes no sense to try ;-)

I read all your posts more or less !
Old 05-18-2018, 06:22 PM
Vince964T
Racer

Just to illustrate the point - A few laps with some more modern equipement to contend with
The blue 991 is the MK2 GT3 touring (manual) driven by a friend. He will receive his MK2 RS soonish then it's
The Gen1 RS at the end was catching up on us lap after lap

Old 05-20-2018, 02:04 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

nice video!
I have videos of me and one of my friends in a 997.2 where we're playing around and I thought I was a bit faster, but the same friend just got a 991.2 gt3 (actually drove it off the lot and took it to the track the next day). After he spent the first couple of sessions 'breaking the car in', I didn't see him for the rest of the day, too fast for me to keep up!

Sequential transmission... hmm
Old 05-24-2018, 05:20 PM
Vince964T
Racer

Originally Posted by Basal Skull
nice video!
I have videos of me and one of my friends in a 997.2 where we're playing around and I thought I was a bit faster, but the same friend just got a 991.2 gt3 (actually drove it off the lot and took it to the track the next day). After he spent the first couple of sessions 'breaking the car in', I didn't see him for the rest of the day, too fast for me to keep up!

Sequential transmission... hmm

How about the one they have for cup cars...
I am completly ignorant, could it work for us ? I guess the electronics will be a hassle...
http://holinger.de/showroom/mft-porsche-997-996
Old 05-29-2018, 12:26 AM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you tried Pirelli slicks?
Old 05-29-2018, 02:15 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

QUOTE=Vince964T;15032315]How about the one they have for cup cars...
I am completly ignorant, could it work for us ? I guess the electronics will be a hassle...
http://holinger.de/showroom/mft-porsche-997-996[/QUOTE]

Not sure you can fit a newer box into our cars, I'm sure it would be pricey even if you could. You must be able to still get a 993 sequential, I recall 'lister Jean posting about an expensive gt3 evo sequential gbox a number of years ago. Wonder what happened to him and his car, don't see any posts from him since I believe his car caught fire at one point.

Originally Posted by DRPM
Have you tried Pirelli slicks?
No, mainly as I drive 3.5 hours to the track. I was able to keep up with gt cars on slicks until 2-3 years ago on R-comps. Once they start to get worn, even R-comps can get scary with any rain.

Off to Area 27 this Sat, never been there before, supposed to be a good track. Just a little far for me, 4-5 hour drive!
Old 05-29-2018, 03:21 AM
Vince964T
Racer

It rings a bell. Wasn't it GTGear that was supporting or building these transmissions for the 993 ? Must be pretty rare, the GT Evo videos out there all have Hbox, don't think I have seen any with a sequential.
May be I ll do some detective work and see if a newer box could fit and the electronics made to work. Would be a huge performance improvement. Keep the car "competitive" another 4/5 years
Old 05-30-2018, 03:35 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

^ let us know if you come up with anything, I do shift pretty deliberately, and a faster transmission would likely make me faster. The maintenance on them must be quite high (frequent and costly) though.
Old 06-02-2018, 04:48 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

I had forgotten that a number of us bought at about the same time. I got mine in spring 2005 w 23k and am up to 104k only tracked it once but I raced for a long time in disposable cars (spec racer, showroom stock Renault Cup etc) and the TT is not disposable in my mind. I just find the twisty country roads to wring it out a bit these days. May be buried in it

Quick Reply: musing after tacking 993 turbo for 13 years