Sponsored by:

musing after tacking 993 turbo for 13 years

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 12:48 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

Hey Ryojo,
You did well at Area 27 as a first timer there.
Like at Ridge, I think you are around 2 seconds per lap faster than me due to your better skill and higher hp.
I made a mistake test driving the manual 991.2 GT3. It is so easy to drive fast. My car is now too slow to keep up...
Old 06-05-2018, 01:44 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Doug I agree our cars aren’t disposable, I think it’s still ok to track as long as you drive with the right groups and are careful. Lots of cars that are worth more being tracked. I try to run with people I sort of know in similar value cars.

Tim I think we can be quite a bit quicker with some more seat time at area 27. It’s a fun track, lots of corners. I haven’t figured out the lines or the best gear for parts. Actually we need a race car driver teach us the best lines. It was cool seeing Gilles Villeneuve on Saturday, maybe the video of him on the track they were taking will be made public for us to study! Nice drive to and from with nice scenery but it was a little long, even for me. The new gt3’s May be quicker but our cars are better looking and has way more character imho
Old 06-05-2018, 02:08 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Oh yeah and the new manual gt3’s, with the auto blipping and upsifting without lifting -what’s the fun in that, might as wall just use the paddles on the a pdk car
Old 06-05-2018, 12:17 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Agree completely about NOT being abusive, tracking my car. Especially when I’m usually running a bit under 10/10ths. I am not able to replace my car, so I keep her within range, of hopefully being able to reign her in if needed. And won’t put up with, or congregate with poor/obnoxious/immature drivers. I don’t like being in “traffic” anywhere, and especially on the track. It’s really fun though, to be with fast, competent drivers, who you can trust, and have gotten to know. Guys that feel the same about their cars, their ability to self preserve, and have made their own mistakes. Nothing worse than watching some moron, put himself and countless others at risk, lap after lap. Then they’re standing around their crumpled heap in the paddock, and I have to stop myself from explaining why they’re risking way more than metal, if their stupidity ruins my car.

Last edited by OverBoosted28; 06-10-2018 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-09-2018, 01:32 PM
aventino68
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Wondering how the 4wd system in the 993tt holds up to the mods that you've all done? Pardon my ignorance if you've done some sort of GT2 mod.
Old 06-09-2018, 02:19 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by aventino68
Wondering how the 4wd system in the 993tt holds up to the mods that you've all done? Pardon my ignorance if you've done some sort of GT2 mod.
I believe Ryojo has pulled his front diff/half-shafts. I’m still on all 4s, and actually enjoy some of the pull, in a few of the turns. It just squats, and goes. :-)
Old 06-09-2018, 05:59 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

yup, have been 2wd for a while now with guard gt 40/60 lsd.
Old 06-09-2018, 06:21 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

The new cars are very fast and very fast in moderate skilled hands. Which is a little scary. I have friends that have stopped instructing as a result. The old ones. Including my 997.1rs are just too fun to stop driving. So i just drive for me.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:18 PM
Bass993
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The drive is worth it....

i too have had my car since 2004 and while i haven't tracked it yet, it remains a joy to drive, especially quickly. You must be alert when you drive it but that is the reward. I think the owners who haven't flipped their cars yet still drive them are the real enthusiasts here. While I have mods on mine identical to the WLS II option in Europe, and euro springs / bilstein shocks, it is maybe not the fastest but rare and appreciated by other car enthusiasts. I hope the drive makes the road that much better for all! Love the 993T !!!
Old 06-22-2018, 02:58 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 172 Posts

The latest off the showroom floor will get attention for awhile... but then fade as the next new thing comes down the Zuffenhausen factory line. GT3, GT2, GT3 RS, ...

But a 993 (TT or NA) based track car is a rare bird indeed and still garners attention and Instagram posting. Fits like a Piloti driving shoe not an Ugg boot. More satisfaction (for this drover) in driving a modest car fast, then a fast car moderately. Don't engage the ABS and you know who is piloting the car. There is a reason some platforms now use up rear pads/rotors 2 to1 to front pads/rotors, the nannies are extrapolating/clamping/normalizing the rough digital inputs and thus doing the real piloting... until they can't. Then the track goes cold when the digital input realizes it is still an analog world, then modest talent runs out in spectacular fashion.

Make friends with some one with a trailer to haul tires, grip is your friend ;-)

Take satisfaction in pushing a +20yr old platform farther then the Weissach engineers could have dreamt of, while confirming their brilliance in Teutonic engineering.

So you do you, chase the HP or weight savings to buy some 10ths if you can, keep us informed of the advancements . But enjoy the ride regardless!
Old 06-22-2018, 04:20 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kein_Ersatz
but then fade as the next new thing comes down the Zuffenhausen factory line. GT3, GT2, GT3 RS, ...

So you do you, chase the HP or weight savings to buy some 10ths if you can, keep us informed of the advancements . But enjoy the ride regardless!
I agree, I don't get the constantly upgrading to a new car, it only lasts till the new models come out ..
Old 07-03-2018, 11:59 PM
SSTAR
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ryojo — happy to see you are still enjoying the 993. Are you still running the GT2 RS intercoolers? Curious if you think I could get them under the stock wing.

I’ve been gone a while and happy to be back. Been through a few of these and still loving every minute with my current driver. The 993s are perfect — small proportions (not saying much given how huge all new cars are), original 911 greenhouse shape, the unique smell of the heat warming up, air cooled noise, just enough modern touches to make ‘em more useful today (litronic lights, remote locks) and the street drive ability of the twin turbo torque and awd drivetrain. Been in and out of 993 turbos since 2001 and will probably never be without one again.
Old 07-06-2018, 04:55 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Hey Stepen, nice to hear from you and see you posting!

I'm actually using the Andial unit I got from you as I wanted use what was designed for the engine. And when I did my data logging, the Andial worked as well as the the GT2RS intercoolers. Not sure if there has been any changes to the Porsche intercooler cores recently. I'm not sure mine that I fabbed would fit as under a stock wing as I made them with the gt2 wing in place. I think Tacker made them to fit under the stock wing but he has a NA throttle body (and got 3 GT2RS cores to fit!) as you probably know. I might put the stock wing back on at some point but won't be able to check until I do.

Is the 993 turbo s or the andial 3.8 the 'driver'? good to have options! I've driven the nsx to work the last couple of days, drove the 928 for a few days before, next week I'm driving the 993T! (CTT when it rains!).
Old 07-12-2018, 06:53 PM
SSTAR
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Awesome. I'll stick with the Andial IC. Andial and older M5 are my drivers. TTS is nicely tucked away How's the 928 -- feel modern?
Old 07-14-2018, 01:09 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

^ nice! The 928 is a cool car, has a lot of modern features for an old car. I like the old style feel if the porsche synchromesh trans, quite quirky. Looks good/modern to me. I just put in the porsche classic radio - now it’s the most modern feeling of my cars (except the cayenne). It also has the most comfortable seats!

Quick Reply: musing after tacking 993 turbo for 13 years