Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

11' rear wheels

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2003, 03:11 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the the right offset 9" rims will fit fine, and if you're are planning on rolling the rear fenders than you can roll the front ones as well. I think a 9" rim is better suited for a 235 or 245 front tire, which I think is a better match with 285/295 rears to get a more neutral feel. My Gemballas are 8.5/11 and tires are 225/285 on my narrowbody - I regret not getting the 9" in the front. The car understeers quite a bit (which I can dial out with the RS sway bars) and I will go with 235 or 245 next time for the fronts.

Besides, if you are after the deep lip look then the 9" is a big difference visually from the 8.5". The only issue is that 9" rims are less common - if you decide to go with say, Fikse or Kinesis then they can make a custom offset for you to maximize your rim width...I would think a TT could fit 11.5" or even 12" in the rear if you wanted to go all out.

Good luck with your choices...I think picking new rims for a car is the hardest decision to make!
Old 12-18-2003, 03:22 PM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

David, your right about wheel choices. There are so many nice ones it is hard to decide. I had Fikse's on my 993 but wanted a change with the TT. I have discovered what I think is a really nice wheel for the money - Iforged Aero's. They look like HRE's but at 40% less $. I think I will go with 11" in the rear with 295 tires. If I can go with 9" front without rolling the fenders Iforged offers that size.
Old 12-18-2003, 04:36 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Mike - you may want to do a search on iForged as I think there are mixed opinions...IIRC there were some quality and delivery issues early on. To be honest, given how expensive these cars are there are certain areas where I personally would not skimp on - brakes, tires, motor oil and wheels. Not to say that I would throw money away like water but you have to wonder how one company can charge 40% less than another for supposedly similar quality and R&D. Just my $0.02...

(btw if I owned your car I would lean towards Kinesis K58R anodized in either gunmetal grey or black...these are my favorite wheels)
Old 12-18-2003, 05:03 PM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

The company like most had some problems early, but apparently things have improved. The wheels appear to be well made and look terriffic. They are still not cheap (north of $3000), but seem to be a good value. While I agree there are car mods you don't skimp on,price isn't always the determining factor as to quality. FWIW although they are beautiful wheels HRE are flat out expensive. Iforged is a full 3 piece aluminum alloy wheel also. Anyway I went with 8.5 front, 11 rear. can't wait to get em'. thanks guys for your help. (seems like I can't do anything for this car without asking the permission of you guys on Rennlist).
Old 12-18-2003, 10:18 PM
Doug Driver
Rennlist Member

Default Wheel sizes and all wheel drive

I was reading Paul Frere's book, and he mentioned that the 993TT AWD system functioning was dependent on the minor size difference (I'm assuming diameter) between the front and rear wheels. Has this been an issue for anybody running non-stock wheel/tire combinations? Is this anything to worry about when selecting the wheel/tire setup?
Old 12-18-2003, 10:40 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Doug - yes this is an issue...search and you'll find tons of threads here about keeping the difference in rolling diameters btn front and rear tires withing a certain range.

Mike - congrats on the wheels...which iForged ones did you get?
Old 12-19-2003, 10:39 AM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

David, I ordered the Aero, a look I like very much plus the fact that they allow for good brake cooling. I am having them clearcoated and the price was quite reasonable considering the 3 piece forged construction. Mike W

Quick Reply: 11' rear wheels