Sponsored by:

Exhaust upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 10:12 PM
ronnie930
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust upgrades

Just got back into my TT after nearly 6 weeks and with the addition of new H&R coilover suspension and stainless steel brakelines. Dont know if its a combination of the old suspension being absolutely knackered and driving a woefully underpowered car for 6 weeks, but the TT feels like a new car. The ride sure is firmer than stock but in a good way. Was originally going to get PSS9`s but got a great deal on s/hand set of unused H&Rs, so went for them.
Just come back from a wonderful drive in the Scottish highlands(has to be some of the best roads anywhere) and the car just handles perfectly. Anyway, I now want to upgrade the exhaust. I want a more throatier noise and extra HP(albeit small). Looking through previous posts there appears to be many options available. I was intially thinking about the fabspeed mufflers but what about cat bypass pipes, or both? What do you guys have and what do you recommend?

Thanks
ronnie
Old 12-14-2003, 11:48 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

There should be lots in the Archives but I want to know
too. I dont care too much about HP gains since they
are subjective but I would like a deeper throatier sound too.
Dont want to scare the nieghbors but I would like to hear my
motor! I have heard the RSR's are great for NA cars but a bit
too mild for the TT's.
Old 12-14-2003, 11:53 PM
CS2CC6
Instructor

Hi Ronnie,
Just installed the FVD Cat Bypass, and it is absolutely wonderful. The Turbos kick in much faster. You'd definitely feel the difference! Not much sound increase though... But power for sure!!
Old 12-14-2003, 11:55 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

I had the catbypasses and the Fabspeed mufflers (good thing too as I am now a distributor). For my taste, it was still lacking some NOISE. I installed the Fabspeed muffler bypasses. These are really nice, you save 70 lbs, you have less exhaust travel so you gain horsepower. What's not to like....

Ahhh, Scotland. Think I will retire to the other room with a nice 25 year old single malt Scotch...
Old 12-15-2003, 01:54 AM
mkhn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone seems to recommend the fabspeeds in one config or another. I too, want a more forceful exhaust note, but I also want to avoid my car sounding like its powered by a boat motor. Is this boat motor sound only on the turbo's because I heard an NA 993 with fabspeeds and they sounded really great.

Mike
Old 12-15-2003, 05:44 AM
CS2CC6
Instructor

The FVD doesn't fit too well. You might have to muscle its way in during install. But it certainly works well though... I know Fabspeed fits better and is very well made! Heard lots of good things about it.
Unless you go with the Muffler Bypass, don't think you'll ever get much sound out of your TT... Can check out the Fabspeed website to listen to the tune!

BTW, ViperBob, where are you located exactly? I'll be in the San Jose area tomorrow (Monday), wondering if it is ok to drop by to see your car and for a small chat? Will be in the Bay Area till Thursday. it would be awsome!
Old 12-15-2003, 10:27 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

CS2CC6,

I'm 5 minutes from San Jose. Send me a PM and maybe you can drop by the house after work thise week....
Old 12-15-2003, 10:13 PM
mkhn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob, I don't think LAH is 5 mins from San Jose....actually, in your car it is.
Old 12-15-2003, 10:14 PM
ronnie930
Intermediate

Cheers guys, will probably go with the fabspeed muffler bypass for now and may consider the cat bypass later.

ronnie
Old 12-16-2003, 10:49 AM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

You might want to consider the GHL (Rennlist sponsor). They are fairly cheap with Rennlist discount (under $400) and they allow you to keep your own exhaust tips. Very well made piece. I am quite happy with them. MIke W
Old 12-16-2003, 11:51 AM
ScottMellor
Drifting

I have the FVD cat bypass and TechEFX mufflers. (I'm told these are equivalent to RSRs) The sound is aggressive and the car runs quite nicely. When I use the Fabspeed muffler bypasses in conjunction with the cat bypasses, there is a little too much drone for driving around town and it does sound a little boat-like.
Old 12-16-2003, 12:06 PM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Running the cat bypass in conjunction with the muffler bypass creates a much louder sound. While the muffler bypass is loud on its own, I find the sound produced more of what I would expect from a 400hp car. Mike W

Quick Reply: Exhaust upgrades