Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a 97 TT...

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2003, 08:26 AM
srt10viper
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I knew the Turbo S was in 1998, but I was strictly talking about the 993TT. The some the prices I have seen on the S are outrageous.

ROB
Old 12-02-2003, 05:40 PM
Dick in TN
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My understanding (correct me if I'm wrong on this) is for the US market the Turbo S were all '97's, made at the end of the '97 model run. There were no '98 turbos, either TT's or TTS's, for US, only normally aspirated 911's.
Old 12-02-2003, 06:31 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 777 Likes on 359 Posts

Premier now has a couple of black/black cars that look nice. Why not contact them and see if you can do a deal?
Old 12-02-2003, 08:53 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

One of the problems with someone like Premier is
they get top dollar. I looked at a car that I had
done a deal for 65K. The people freaked out about the
PPI so I backed out. Premier bought the car and sold
it for close to 89K. So its almost better to look for yourself.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:38 PM
FineProperty
Instructor

Wink

I've been lurking for awhile, and reading/sifting through the volumes of information on Rennlist. There's not much meat to my first post, just a subtle Thank You, to all those that contribute, and fuel the fire.

I've also come to the conclusion that the correct upgrade/replacement of my 968 Cab is going to be a 1997 993TT. Those of you reading Rennlist know all of the reasons (and likely more) why I would come to this conclusion.

I'd have to say that the replaceable ecu is my main reason for the 97 over 96. If the right 96 comes along, I likely would be quite pleased with my purchase though. Is there such a thing as "living with" 400 hp?

Rich

ps...for those that are curious, pic of my current ride located at
http://www.richfine.com/v70r/porsche968.jpg

or the stable (Volvo R and Kart with P-car)
http://www.richfine.com/v70r/stable.jpg
Old 12-02-2003, 10:30 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always tell people looking to buy Porsches that if something doesn't feel right then walk away. The right car is out there for you, but you just need to be careful. Pre-sale inspection my friend is your best option. Best wishes - Jay Gratton
Old 12-02-2003, 11:09 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Rich,

As I mentioned in a previous post on this thread, the 1997 factory ECU is $1500... a mere pittance when weighed against all the other factors. Don't pass up a good 1996 because of a $1500 issue.
Old 12-03-2003, 12:37 AM
FineProperty
Instructor

Thanks Steve! That $ number didn't quite register for me, but I see the point clearly now. BTW, your Arena Red is Awesome. I have watched the one on Ebay in St Louis, but haven't taken the plunge on having a PPI done. My wife accuses me of 'over' shopping...I call it building anticipation. There is a local Red '96 TT with about 40k miles, at a P-car dealer. I do like the wet look you can get on bright red, does the metallic Arena Red do that?
Old 12-03-2003, 12:46 AM
midwest
Instructor

Rich,

Be VERY careful of that dealer in St Louis. There have been many stories on this board, and in the local paper, regarding him. Including requiring a deposit for a PPI and then not returning it if the customer doesn't buy the car. Read other posts.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:22 AM
FineProperty
Instructor

Thanks for the info...I will do more research on them. I have read some of the Ebay negative feedback, I have been somewhat skeptical of Ebay sellers that do volumes of business and discounted high end goods.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:23 AM
srt10viper
Intermediate

I was watching the one in St Louis also, if you look at the side view of the car the rear sits A LOT lower than the front. The rear almost looks lowered where the front looks stock.

ROB
Old 12-03-2003, 01:38 AM
midwest
Instructor

Check a post I put on another thread where I had a URL to the newspaper story.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:40 AM
FineProperty
Instructor

Link for others following this:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...threadid=98134

I'm new to Rennlist, I'm hoping it works to link threads and is PC.
Old 12-04-2003, 11:17 PM
LT1
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: looking for a 97 TT...

Regarding the 11k mile Black/Black 97 TT for $70k, you mentioned that you spoke to "someone on the board" who said that the car was a total repaint. How did he know it had been repainted? Did the seller tell him that? Did the paintwork show up on the PPI? How does one know for sure?
Old 12-05-2003, 10:11 AM
srt10viper
Intermediate

Default Re: Re: looking for a 97 TT...

Originally posted by LT1
Regarding the 11k mile Black/Black 97 TT for $70k, you mentioned that you spoke to "someone on the board" who said that the car was a total repaint. How did he know it had been repainted? Did the seller tell him that? Did the paintwork show up on the PPI? How does one know for sure?
The other party had a 2 page work order faxed to him from the seller from a Eveland collision shop in Missouri. I asked the seller about this and he denided it. So I asked him to give me the codes of the options on the car, he said that he would, I told him to look under the bonnet and they are all listed on the white sticker. At that time he bacame VERY angry and said that he can tell me what options came with the car. I repeatedly told him I WANT THE CODES, he then said OK bye and hung up in my ear .

This was Monday morning and I NEVER received the codes. This tells me that the hood was most likely replaced and no sticker for the codes is on the new hood.

He also said that he has had a lot of people call him and want to steal the car for a low price. He said that he would just keep it. The car looks great in the pictures. I would have bought the car if I had the codes and if the guy wasn't such a D Head when I asked him about the paint issue. Before I questioned that he was as nice as he could be, but it was like someone flipped a switch and he became a real D Head.

I also think if the car is "so perfect" why didn't the Porsche dealer who did the PPI buy the car for $70K. The seller told me that he just had the PPI done about 2 weeks ago. That is a fair price for the car and they dealership could sell if for at least 5 grand more. I think its not so clean.

I know if you are trying to sell a car DO NOT hang up on a potental buyer that is rule #1. There are plenty more out there.

ROB

Quick Reply: Looking for a 97 TT...