993s at Silverstone

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2003, 05:38 PM
SkipSauls
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 993s at Silverstone

I recently returned from a business trip to Europe, also spending some time with friends in England. They know that I'm a car nut, so they arranged for us to go to a race at Silverstone, which they thought was for Formula Fords. It turned out that several different clubs/makes/classes were running, including Porsche Club GB. Needless to say this may the event that much more exciting to me!

There were two 993s in the race, one a Cup Car that may well have raced against Jay's car at some point:

The second was a sweet "RS", but I really didn't know enough to be able to verify whether or not it was the real thing:

These cars were pretty close most of the race and were behind the 996s but ahead of the 944s and older 911s. My camera's zoom isn't so hot, but here's a shot of the two on the track:

Most 996s don't do much for me given their bland shapes and I'm no fan of sliver Porsches as there are too many of them, but this "GT-2R" was amazing to behold:

This car was very fast, and if you read any of the UK Porsche magazines you'll recognize it as Rupert Lewin's, which is said to be around 700 HP. The GT-3 Supercups could do as well or better in the corners, but were absolutely smoked down the straights. Funnily enough, he almost ran out of gas near the end of the 1 hour event, having to slow way down for the last few laps to conserve fuel. His 60+ second lead had dropped to 20 seconds due to the slowdown.

In all a great event, and it was nice to be able to see it at such a famous track. They appeared to observe rules similar to PCA, with no car contact and most drivers behaving in a reasonably civilizd manner. The other classes weren't always as polite, but it was fun watching a pack of original Minis zooming around and trading a bit of paint.

There are more pictures in the link on my web page in the "Fun Stuff" section. I'm the one in the brown jacket checking out the cars, asking questions, and with a big grin on my face.

Last edited by SkipSauls; 11-22-2003 at 09:52 PM.
Old 11-22-2003, 12:09 PM
Cuppie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Skip -this looks like the Bill Taylor Memorial Trophy -an annual event for two driver teams in memory of, well, Bill Taylor!!

The white 993 Cup Car is owned by Paul Howells, 993RS Register Secretary for Porsche Club GB.

Rgds
Mel
Old 11-24-2003, 01:46 PM
SkipSauls
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Melvin,

Thanks for the info. If I had known that I was going to a race (it was a surprise), and certainly if I'd known it was a Porsche Club GB event, I'd have posted here. It would have been great to meet some folks face-to-face. As it was, the drivers and others I spoke with in the paddock were very nice, with one guy from Gruppe M trying very hard to sell me a Cup Car.

Silverstone is an amazing track. Most of the tracks here in Colorado are quite "rough" by comparison, and certainly have less in the way of facilities. I am going to try to do a few UK track days over the next couple of years to experience them first hand.

Quick Reply: 993s at Silverstone