Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

993 (RS) manual steering discussion

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 08:11 PM
RS3.6
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spyder_Man
I'm no expert but to get a similar steering feel as a '72 S won't you need both the manual steering rack and comparably wide front tires?
I'm no expert either, and that will come across through my slightly naïve comments.
However I'm not referring to make a 993 into a '72 s.. that can obviously never happen. Just in terms of that raw feel and connection coming through the steering wheel, that power steering can never fully satisfy.

Cheers!
Old 07-03-2017, 08:30 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Here's a few thoughts - had manual steering in mid-year Carrera's (not even 2300 lb early light cars with very narrow tires).

It's 'charming', I liked it, it worked until mid 80's with still manageable front tires around 205, a car well under 3,000 lbs., and the large 'bus' steering wheel. The last point is not to be underestimated.

My 993 is heavier, runs 235's, has a smaller wheel - I can't imagine how that would be a good time, even on track, ditching the PS which is nicely weighted too.

If I had a line on a manual rack for cheap, and wanted to try it with 'free' labor - why not, I suppose. Can always reverse.

YMMV.

Cheers

Matt
Old 07-04-2017, 01:05 AM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

As I mentioned to the OP via PM, there's an easy way to find out what a manual steering 993 feels like. Going downhill in a parking garage at low speed, switch the key the accessory position so the engine stops but the steering wheel doesn't lock. Now drive around some turns without power steering. That's what your car will feel like every day with a manual rack. If it's road feel you're after, you're going in the wrong direction -- because you have to muscle the car through every turn, what you actually feel is your shoulder muscles working, not the road. Many years ago I put a manual rack in my 993 and drove it like that until I couldn't take it anymore. It is all downside. But OP, your heart is set on this, so go for it.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:11 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,088 Posts

Manual steering sucks. I deal with it on my 89
But I think the feel on the 964 and 993 is quite good and it definitely saves your arms big time especially in track or canyon runs.
If weight or parasitic losses are a concern get the cup setup from the 997 or one of those Mercedes a1 pumps.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:21 AM
RS3.6
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Churchill
As I mentioned to the OP via PM, there's an easy way to find out what a manual steering 993 feels like. Going downhill in a parking garage at low speed, switch the key the accessory position so the engine stops but the steering wheel doesn't lock. Now drive around some turns without power steering. That's what your car will feel like every day with a manual rack. If it's road feel you're after, you're going in the wrong direction -- because you have to muscle the car through every turn, what you actually feel is your shoulder muscles working, not the road. Many years ago I put a manual rack in my 993 and drove it like that until I couldn't take it anymore. It is all downside. But OP, your heart is set on this, so go for it.
I always thought a deactivated power system was more difficult to steer than proper manual steering?
I may be wrong?

Cheers!
Old 07-04-2017, 02:15 PM
Talat
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not a 993, but I have a 964 widebody, 235 section Michelin Pilot Cup 2 front tyres and a manual rack. Recently had it on the scales and it's 1272kg with 1/2 tank of fuel. I run -3.4 camber, and not sure if this has any bearing on steering weight. For me, the steering weight is ok once on the move, can sometimes be a PITA when parking but it's a minor irritation. If you track the car on a circuit with a lot of hairpins you'll certainly feel it the next day. I've never regretted the decision but if I could turn back the clock, I'm not sure I'd do it again purely from a cost/benefit point of view.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:11 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by RS3.6
I always thought a deactivated power system was more difficult to steer than proper manual steering?
I may be wrong?
There's only one way to find out, and that's to install a manual rack.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:30 AM
RS3.6
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Talat
Not a 993, but I have a 964 widebody, 235 section Michelin Pilot Cup 2 front tyres and a manual rack. Recently had it on the scales and it's 1272kg with 1/2 tank of fuel. I run -3.4 camber, and not sure if this has any bearing on steering weight. For me, the steering weight is ok once on the move, can sometimes be a PITA when parking but it's a minor irritation. If you track the car on a circuit with a lot of hairpins you'll certainly feel it the next day. I've never regretted the decision but if I could turn back the clock, I'm not sure I'd do it again purely from a cost/benefit point of view.
Thanks for the response!
Glad to hear there are people who aren't bothered by it.

Cheers!
Old 07-05-2017, 10:57 AM
myfisch
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think, no one here is driven a original 964RS or 993 Racecar with a Manual rack. It feels so direct and tight to the street thats a really gap.

One of the best changes on a sporty car.

Regards
Old 07-05-2017, 01:35 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 450 Likes on 281 Posts

You will regret it on a street car with wide tires up front, especially when you're in slow traffic or parking. Better get to the gym now...your arms and shoulders are going to get a work-out!
Old 07-05-2017, 03:40 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by myfisch
I think, no one here is driven a original 964RS or 993 Racecar with a Manual rack. It feels so direct and tight to the street thats a really gap.

One of the best changes on a sporty car.
It is an absolute joy on the street with 205/55-R17 up front. But if you are trying to win 1st place at your DE by putting on the widest tires possible then this might not be the mod for you.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:30 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 571 Posts

I know this has been discussed before, but I wanted to ask how it's working out for anyone that has done this conversion to any 993, and ideally below which weight would manual steering be preferred (mostly as dd but also for track)

Would the RS be light enough or does more weight need to be shredded off (if so, where)?

Thanks in advance.
conventional wisdom in san diego area race prep shops =
why would you want to remove the power steering
?
Old 07-05-2017, 05:47 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 396 Posts

I never really gave much thought to the 993 power steering until I started driving a 964. The 993's steering is quicker and easier, but strangely I prefer the weightier feel of the 964 steering. I simply feel more connected to the road with the manual steering. It's a lot more work in parking lots, but worth the extra effort for the road feel when at speed.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:50 PM
Mr.Woolery
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 74 Posts

I may be wrong?

Cheers!
That is correct. A manual rack is MUCH easier to turn the wheel than a de-powered power steering rack. With a deactivated power steering system, when you turn the wheel you're not only feeling resistance from the road/tires, but you're also fighting the hydraulics & PS pump. Ratios are likely higher in a PS car, too, so you'd also be fighting that extra load.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:02 PM
Mr.Woolery
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 74 Posts

It most definitely is something I want to experience, whatever the outcome...
Never driven a post 1972 manual steering car...
Tangent based on that specific statement: I have a modded Miata running a manual rack and 225 width R-compound tires up front for daily driving. The general consensus from the Miata community was similar to what I've seen here, stating that it'd be a nightmare to drive, especially as a daily driver. I love it for its direct feel and simplicity, and it's been a daily driver in this configuration for almost 20 years. It IS hard to turn at parking lot speeds (and wide tires/caster/camber settings are factors), but anything over 5mph and it's just as easy to drive as a power steering car.

I suspect the same would be true in a 993. It'd be a bear in parking lots, and you wouldn't be able to drive it with one hand on the wheel and the other with a cup of coffee...but I suspect that if you're considering the mod it's likely that you're not looking for a cushy super civilized 993 anyway.

BTW, if anyone happens to have a 993RS manual rack they don't want anymore, I'll be happy to take it off your hands.

Quick Reply: 993 (RS) manual steering discussion