Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice on where to buy new wheels...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 04:17 PM
JMc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need advice on where to buy new wheels...

I guess I've stared at Poncho's car too long and have now decided to give in to some 18" wheels, MY02 Carrera 5-spokes. The question is where to get them. Need tires of course, since I'm running 17" Cups.

There are currently 3 eBay auctions for new sets - here (with P0 Rossos), here (with Contis), and here (P0 Rossos again). I've also looked at wheelenhancement.com and know of Ernie's Alloys but not their prices or reputations.

My local Porsche dealer sells just the rims for $3500 (not an option!) so I'm just trying to find the sweet spot of good price and perfect product.

I'm sure many of you have been the same situation so any advice, pro or con, will be greatly appreciated.

Rennlist - what a resource!
Attached Images  
Old 11-20-2003, 05:01 PM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought through ebay and was very happy with the transaction. If you look at the sellers feedback, it will give you security as to waht they tell you. Also, most on ebay like Ernie's will give you a trade for your current wheels and tires. I've spoken to Ernie as well as emailed him. he is easy to deal with.
Old 11-20-2003, 05:12 PM
Randy M '96 Silver 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

I purchased mine at Wheel Enhancement and was very happy with the service and price. I am local though. If I needed to buy them and get them shipped I probably would have gone with Sunset Imports www.sunsetimports.com, as their prices were a little lower. But I did not want to deal with shipping, and I liked the fact that if I had a problem, I could just go back and deal with them direct.

Also, I was told that Porsche just raised the price, so ask if they will honor the old price. It is always worth a try. I think the difference was about $100 for the set.

Good luck. They look sweet on Silver.
Old 11-20-2003, 05:42 PM
Jason R
Addict
Rennlist Member

Agree with Sinfulsteve. . .

I bought through ebay with good results. I emailed one of the sellers with a question and found that he was a tire/wheel shop down in FL near a Porsche dealer. He said he had a bunch of take offs since customers would drive off the Porsche lot and into his store to buy aftermarket wheels.

I did a check to make sure it was a legit business, and when he checked out, I bought C.O.D.

I don't remember who I bought from (it was last year), but if you go the ebay route, don't be afraid of asking the seller lots of questions. . .

Hope this helps.

Jason
Old 11-20-2003, 07:17 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by Randy M '96 Silver 993
I purchased mine at Wheel Enhancement and was very happy with the service and price. I am local though. If I needed to buy them and get them shipped I probably would have gone with Sunset Imports www.sunsetimports.com, as their prices were a little lower. But I did not want to deal with shipping, and I liked the fact that if I had a problem, I could just go back and deal with them direct.

Also, I was told that Porsche just raised the price, so ask if they will honor the old price. It is always worth a try. I think the difference was about $100 for the set.

Good luck. They look sweet on Silver.
I think Randy meant WWW.sunsetporsche.com
I watched ebay for a few months and couldn't find one that sell cheaper than they do. I bought the tires from Tirerack though.
Old 11-20-2003, 08:42 PM
Dan in Florida
Addict
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Randy M '96 Silver 993
[B]I purchased mine at Wheel Enhancement and was very happy with the service and price. I am local though.

I'm with Randy. I purchased wheels at wheelenhancement.com and I was very happy with the product, quality and the tire mounting [Michelin Sport Cups]. You get what you pay for.

Dan
Old 11-20-2003, 09:33 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

JMc,

I was trying to get exact same wheels you want, and the good deal I found is from wheelenhancement(NA), $1700, "new car take off" condition. I have been talking to them for over a month, BUT when I was ready to order early this week, they wanted $100 more. I was upset 'cause I was just talking to them 2 days before that, so, I didn't go for it. I'm thinking its the Christmas fever. Maybe I'll hold up and find a better deal

Last edited by Carrera Mike; 11-21-2003 at 07:57 AM.
Old 11-20-2003, 09:43 PM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Wheel Enhancement sent me a set with the balanceing weights stuck to the side of the tire itself! And they charge over $100 to balance the set.
Pretty poor considering all they do is mount and balance tires.
Next time I'll look elsewhere.......
Old 11-20-2003, 10:30 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just received a new set of Kinesis Supercups with tires and center caps from Wheelenhancement, and I'm pleased with the deal. They did a great job in packaging the items, and delivery was as scheduled. This is a far cry from problems I had with their predecessor, Robert Woods Wheels.
Old 11-20-2003, 11:11 PM
okindao
Addict
Rennlist Member

just received new Fiske FM 5's with Michelin Pilot Sportcups from wheel enhancement, one of the wheels had the stem improperly aligned in that you could not get the air pressure or add air without using an extender...called wheel enhancement back they contacted Fiske who paid for the return shipping of the one wheel they are fisxing and reshipping back to me, so far they have been responsive ( both wheel enhancement and fiske) but kind of disappointed the problem occured

Wheel enhancement was knowledgeable on the phone re sizing and spent alot of time with me over 2 to 3 weeks prior to purchasing.......
Old 11-21-2003, 10:19 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Dennis(Okindao),

How much do the Fiske FM5 weighs? Just curious.
tHanks ~Mike
Old 11-21-2003, 10:39 AM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I purchased a used 18" hollow spoke from wheel enhancement. The rated the wheel to me as a 7-8 out 10 cosmetically. Wow i would hate to see a 10! It was in much better shape than any wheel I had on the car and I thought they were in great shape. My experience was excellent service and good prices.
Old 11-21-2003, 10:57 AM
Jason R
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've also had good experience with Wheelenhancement, although it was a couple of years ago. They were very knowledgeble about fitment, and advised me well.

A buddy and I ordered two sets of Kinesis K-20's from them, shipped to the same location. Wheels came as promised, packaged well, etc. The best part was they gave us a slight price break for ordering two sets.

Jason
Old 11-21-2003, 10:58 AM
JMc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Silver Bullet
Just make sure they're the correct offset.
Just to be thorough, I did check the offsets.

My owner's manual states for "alternative tires, rims (coupe only)" rim offsets for the 18" wheels of 52mm front and 65mm rear.

The 5-Spokes i want to buy are 50mm front and 65 mm rear (Porsche spec.). Is this a problem? Every place that sells these wheels says they fit the 993, although they rarely state the offsets.

Sooo, a bit more help requested...

Also, has anyone traded-in their old wheel set to one of the above mentioned dealers? If so, how'd that go?

Thanks much...
Old 11-21-2003, 11:05 AM
Jason R
Addict
Rennlist Member

JMc,

I've got the 5 spokes on my car with street tires. I'm lowered to RS ride height, and have no problems. I do run 265's in the back though, whereas if you're looking to buy take offs, they run 275 or 285 (I think). Incidentally, I could probably run 275's without a problem.

No experience with trade ins, but I'd consider it with Wheelenhancement.

Jason

Quick Reply: Need advice on where to buy new wheels...