993 Forum 1995-1998

on-board computer light

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 03:49 PM
blkblkblk
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default on-board computer light

I dropped off my car at a body shop to fix the door check strap/clicking problem. I picked up the car today and the clicking has been fixed, but I notice my on-board computer display is very very dim and barely visible. I know for sure prior to dropping off the car, the display was bright orange.

I can't locate a dimmer switch, is there one? I called up the body shop and they said they didn't touch anything that has to do with the on-board computer, they just did repairs to the door.

What might be the problem? Thank you.
Old 11-20-2003, 04:19 PM
ksimpson
Racer

Looks like the bulb blew. This is a common problem and there's lots of stuff in the archives. I had the same problem with my C4S.

To replace the bulbs you need to remove the rev counter and access the bulbs at the back. The part nos. for the bulbs should also be in the archives. I remember some debate as to whether you need to take off the steering wheel when taking out the rev counter. I know for a fact that my OPC removed the steering wheel when doing the job.
Old 11-20-2003, 04:25 PM
Blizzard
Instructor

There is no dimmer specifically for that light. The bulb is behind the tach. In order to remove the tach you must remove the streering wheel which is a pain because of the airbag. See archives for issues regarding airbag light.

BUT, I think you can remove either of the guages to the left or right of the tach and possibly reach in and remove the socket and bulb.

Paul
Old 11-20-2003, 06:04 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

The very same thing happened to me after I took my Porsche in for the wiring harness recall. It came back with a burned-out bulb. Michael Schatz removed the wheel and replaced the bulb. It must have taken him all of 15 minutes, but he knows what he is doing.
Old 11-20-2003, 06:13 PM
blkblkblk
Track Day

Thanks guys. I guess it must be a coincidence that the bulb went out while it was at the body shop. I thought maybe they accidentally pulled a wire or somethng when they fixed my door clicking problem. Right now, I can still see the readout, it's just very very dim.

I'll do a search for the part number, but if anyone has it handy, please let me know.

BTW, I got the door clicking fixed for $400. PM me if you need the name of the shop.

Thanks again.
Old 11-27-2003, 06:03 AM
forest
Advanced

my 993 c2 and my pal's 964 c2 have the same problem.

but strangely, for both of us, the light would come on normally for like a few months, before going back to "hibernation" for a few months.

maybe weather and contact could be the culprits in some cases.
Old 11-28-2003, 05:40 PM
hughfi
AutoX

You should check your fuse panel. I just got my car back with this problem also, and one of the fuses was out. I replaced it and the light was back on.

H.
Old 11-28-2003, 06:26 PM
seege
Addict
Rennlist Member

That tach will come out w/out pulling the steering wheel.
Take a large slot head driver and cover it with a towel-gently pry the gauge from one side and then the other it should slide out with just hand strength once you can get your fingertips behind the rim of the bezel.It will then be resting on the column. Then you need to unplug the wiring behind the tach. The easiest way is to pull the speedo and unplug it to reach behind the tach. Once the tach is unplugged you can rotate it until you find a recess on the rear of the tach housing that allows it to shoehorn out of there. This is easier than it sounds.If you have full leather they might be really snug.
-Good Luck
Old 11-29-2003, 03:35 AM
sandman
Advanced

I too had the same problem but could not remove the Tach without pulling the steering wheel. I replaced the bulbs but this did not solve the problem. Eventually I had to send the gauge to FVD in Germany and it sems that the PCB was short. THey recomended a new gauge which was very expensive so I am still dealing with a dim OBC till I find a solution.

Hope yours is just a blown bulb.

Sandman

Quick Reply: on-board computer light