$ value of a complete 3.8 motor

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2003, 11:03 AM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Default $ value of a complete 3.8 motor

There is a factory 3.8 RS motor complete for sale in Europe. This motor has 17000 street Kilometers and is represented "as new". Unfortunately the exchange rate stinks but that is not the sellers fault. What would be a "fair" price for this motor? The 3.8 kit from Gert is about $14,000. and you need a varioram 3.6 to build up.

Thanks for any input.
Old 11-28-2003, 02:00 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 352 Posts

If it's the one I looked at the price is fair but there was no harness or chip for it.

I bought a regular M64/21(euro OBD1) v-ram engine and some assorted bits and pieces, non slip fit p/c(RS uses slip fits I believe) are more desireable for a race motor, valves/guide(there are quite a few choices here), valve train(you want to back date to 964 sprockets and mech. lifters, update the valve springs/keepers if thats legal for you), update the rod bolts etc.

All of these pieces, including the v-ram if so desired, can also be adapted to your stock '95

If some TLC is exercised in the assembly of the engine you will have a more durable and likely powerful engine. Something along the lines of Glen's Andial built 3.6.

ps I love to follow your on track adventures, keep the reports coming. It's great reading.
Old 11-28-2003, 03:10 PM
chas911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Bill, try the rennwerks web-site. They have a 3.8L motor for sale. A bit pricey, but it has been for sale for awhile. Besides it is the season of giving.

Charlie
Old 11-28-2003, 03:20 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the tips Bill. Plenty of track "adventures" thats for sure.

Charlie, The Rennwerks motor is a RSR motor around 380hp. I am not interested in GT racing. Stock is tough enough. How is your car?
Old 11-28-2003, 08:25 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

Bill, a great price is 20-22k with DME and harness(You will need both with a Euro motor).You may still need to make some pin changes even with both of those items, will need to check on that for You. The RS motor if real will use the bore in cylinders(more reliable for race apps) with the rubber O ring groove in the case spigot. 3.8 kit you buy will have slip fit. I have never seen a slip fit fail but there are stories that they do due to the thinner base and sideload at that point on the upstroke. i dont believe You will see a failure in Club Race type apps but if You can go bore in, do it. Make sure to machine the groove into the spigot in the case if you go that route to accept the o ring.
Old 11-29-2003, 09:06 AM
chas911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Bill, you thought I would have known!

Car is fine, just waiting for the new season to begin. Unfortunately can't make the Roebling race but guess I will see you in Feb.

Charlie
Old 11-29-2003, 10:38 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 352 Posts

Glen, thanks for the clarification on the RS cylinders being the bore in variety, I had seen that the kits were slip in and extrapolated(guessed) from there. I wish I could justify buying you motor it sounds like a gem.

Another advantage of the bore in kits is the nice light tapered wristpins that are available w/them, every little bit helps.

To clarify the cyl. base seals need a groove in both the cyl. spiggot and the case wall.

Quick Reply: $ value of a complete 3.8 motor