993 Forum 1995-1998

993 sales seem to have dramatically slowed

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 02:38 AM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by pieter97
As an ex 993 owner, I am constantly looking to get back into one, and I am following the market just like many other Rennlisters.

My thoughts on all previous pages and discussions is that the market was overvalued, and it is normal that it is going down after an 'up'.

Paying $50k- $60k- $70k for a higher mileage normal 993 is simply a lot of money for a lot of people and unsustainable.

When the market gets back to $30k-$35k for a regular 993, is where I think a lot of people can write a check, and enjoy a 993.
Appetite may have softened a bit but I doubt it will crash to $30k levels. On the other hand you may look back and say I could have bought a higher miles one for $60k-$70k in 2017.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:11 AM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by pieter97
As an ex 993 owner, I am constantly looking to get back into one, and I am following the market just like many other Rennlisters.

My thoughts on all previous pages and discussions is that the market was overvalued, and it is normal that it is going down after an 'up'.

Paying $50k- $60k- $70k for a higher mileage normal 993 is simply a lot of money for a lot of people and unsustainable.

When the market gets back to $30k-$35k for a regular 993, is where I think a lot of people can write a check, and enjoy a 993.
When the market is back to 30-35k? Well that will happen when we have the next major downturn in the global economy and then "people" will find them more expensive than today even if they cost less!
Old 07-23-2017, 11:21 AM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

You can still find a good 993 with higher miles for low 40s and I've seen one or two go for high 30s. They are out there if you search hard and do your due diligence.

Once you buy you'll probably spend at least 10k to get it where you want it though. I think 50k is the lower limit (regardless of miles) for a 993 driver in great shape. Either you pay up front or you buy low and pay to get it exactly where you want it.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:30 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

The problem with the $40ish priced cars is whether you are buying a well kept corrosion free no stories car or something that has been neglected and becomes a $50ish car really quickly. I did not look at a ton of 993s, but the "deals" I did look at were not really deals because they had issues. Also, that the market prices coupes over cabs inured to my benefit when I was looking, but worked against me because I really wanted a cab and there were a lot fewer of them around. The only sacrifice I made was I got a C4 rather than a C2 (I was looking for a C2 and, in fact, it was the only C4 I looked at), but now that I have it, I am actually happier I got the C4. Without the nannies of the newer cars, the AWD should make it safer especially if it ever gets caught in rain. By no means to I think I got a great price or anything like that, but I got a great car at a fair price which IMHO is much better than a great deal on a not so great car.

It is funny to me that the extra cost of a cab and C4 actually made the car cost less used.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:17 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by evilfij
The problem with the $40ish priced cars is whether you are buying a well kept corrosion free no stories car or something that has been neglected and becomes a $50ish car really quickly. I did not look at a ton of 993s, but the "deals" I did look at were not really deals because they had issues. Also, that the market prices coupes over cabs inured to my benefit when I was looking, but worked against me because I really wanted a cab and there were a lot fewer of them around. The only sacrifice I made was I got a C4 rather than a C2 (I was looking for a C2 and, in fact, it was the only C4 I looked at), but now that I have it, I am actually happier I got the C4. Without the nannies of the newer cars, the AWD should make it safer especially if it ever gets caught in rain. By no means to I think I got a great price or anything like that, but I got a great car at a fair price which IMHO is much better than a great deal on a not so great car.

It is funny to me that the extra cost of a cab and C4 actually made the car cost less used.
Nothing wrong with a C4, they are great cars. Retains all the 993 charm with a little extra stability. Cabs are fun too! The biggest downside of C4 cab is the added weight. But having just looked it up, I learned the C4 cab is about the same weight as a C4S. So instead of wide bodywork you get the joys of open air driving .

Enjoy the car and happy motoring.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:54 PM
ace10
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Mesaros
I think the 993 is and always will be in a class of it's own, the last of the air-cooled with beautiful lines that will always have a following.
I have a speed yellow 98 C4S with 90k miles and wouldn't sell it for less than $80k

In the spirit of a post from yesterday....

You should come to terms with the fact that you might never sell your 993.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:17 PM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Coming from an Elise and then an Exige S (where I used an Elise softtop -- no mods necessary just swaps right in) open air motoring was key for me. I can't see spending an extra $7k for a C4 or extra $12k for a cab on a new 991, but when it is a used 993 I was happy to have both and save a few dollars.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:25 PM
Tony.CO
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the market for another 993 S, 4S or Turbo. Glacier white only, high end driver or garage queen.

When the market is falling or soft like it is now, there isn't an urgency to buy. There aren't multiple buyers for same car, cars sit longer, you don't have to settle for less than what you're looking for. Many sellers who bought recently, and got in too high are in panic mode trying to sell for inflated prices to recoup $$ they couldn't afford it in the first place.

I've owned many of these, now spend my time buying horses. I look forward to buying a 993 again whenever the dust settles.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:30 PM
nxfedlt1
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

for the record, I recently paid over 85, white c2s with 75k miles. tired of looking for a car, and wanted one.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:34 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Tlaloc75
You can still find a good 993 with higher miles for low 40s and I've seen one or two go for high 30s. They are out there if you search hard and do your due diligence.

Once you buy you'll probably spend at least 10k to get it where you want it though. I think 50k is the lower limit (regardless of miles) for a 993 driver in great shape. Either you pay up front or you buy low and pay to get it exactly where you want it.
Yep +993^
...And thats it in a nutshell
Old 07-26-2017, 04:13 AM
Disraeli
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tlaloc75

Bingo. I bought one w/ 38k miles on it and it still cost me almost $10k to get it right.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:35 AM
Bmartin
AutoX

Received 25 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by johnireland
Its the end of gasoline that will kill the 993 and all the other cars we admire. Young people today will opt for a self driving electric appliance. Everything in their lives will be bought online and delivered by Amazon. The individual freedom that came with a car is no longer the trend in a collective group think society. Enjoy them while we've got them.
This msg has IQ of 180. Shame but good cars will be garage queens. I am 74 and looking for 17th Porsche. Have 3 mid engine cars in garage. Just sold beautiful '04 Guards Red Turbo x50 Cab. Want a 993 C2 coupe in red, yellow, or black. Maybe settle for C4S. Must be top quality car with 50k miles or less from owner **** as I.
(First post - too old to learn proper RL etiquette.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:13 AM
Grapeape
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Hello, and welcome back John.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:24 AM
Enso
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Bmartin
This msg has IQ of 180. Shame but good cars will be garage queens. I am 74 and looking for 17th Porsche. Have 3 mid engine cars in garage. Just sold beautiful '04 Guards Red Turbo x50 Cab. Want a 993 C2 coupe in red, yellow, or black. Maybe settle for C4S. Must be top quality car with 50k miles or less from owner **** as I.
(First post - too old to learn proper RL etiquette.
62 and only on my 5th ...no garage queens here
Keep driving !
Old 08-01-2017, 03:24 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 738 Likes on 523 Posts

Hell I paid $97K +tax with 28,700 miles a year ago from Porsche Classic (currently at 30,350) and still sunk another $20K YTD to get mine right. I am a bit OCD though ..... and did cosmetics, exhaust tips wide ovals FabSpeed, OEM Turbo S Front Lip, OEM Turbo S Spoiler, 30K major service, misc replacement items, New Sunroof Motor, New Sunroof Stitched Leather Panel, Driver's side check strap, New Bilstein Suspension & bits, Corner Balance / Geometry Set Up, New Tires, RS Red Seat Belts, RS Motor Mounds, RS Golden Shift Rod, Fluid Flushes and some other stuff..... I would say it's 9.5 out of 10 with zero engine oil sweat or leaks. Car and engine is so clean you eat off of it. Zero oil consumption. Runs 100%. Next up Porsche Classic Radio, Rennline Drilled Aluminum Floorboard & Aluminum Pedals, Front Strut Brace. I am of the mindset... buy the best 993 you can find and afford as a solid base.

Quick Reply: 993 sales seem to have dramatically slowed