Sponsored by:

Woohoo, I'm a Pcar owner......

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2002, 10:17 PM
B-Line home
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Woohoo, I'm a Pcar owner......

I want to start by saying thank you to all the members of this board. Without your help, guidance, patience and enthusiasism I never would have been able to find such an incredible car. You guys and gals are the best and I'm glad to finally be a part of the club.

This afternoon I got a call from the car carrier, he was out my house and ready to deliver the car. On that note I shut down for the day and grabbed a ride home.

When I pulled onto my street, there she was. A 1997 Carrera 2S. Silver, aerokit,and so beautiful. I had only seen her in pictures previously and was so nervous about buying a car sight unseen. Fortunatley she was everything I hoped she would be and more.

I looked over the car about 5 times before I even asked the carrier for the key. Amazingly, she was even cleaner than I expected and hoped she would be. I then slipped into her sport seats and immediately felt and knew that I found the right car.

I delicately turned her over and the engine roared to my ears delight. I was (and still am,) in heaven.

After driving her around the block a few times I knew that I had one more task to complete before I could feel totally comfortable with my purchase.

I drove from Miami to Pompano (about 40 miles) to have the car checked out by Foreign Affairs Motorsports. Being the car is 6yrs old, I expected to get some news about the cars condition and what it would cost me to set it right. Amazingly, after a complete inspection the car passed with flying colors. She was in better condition than anyone expected. Not to mention she had a fresh set of shoes (Michelin Pilot Sports..)

That final bill of health was all I needed to know. I found exactly what I was looking for and it was above and beyond what I even expected.

I drove home, picked up my girlfriend, and we drove to a beautiful Italian restaurant we both love (I had the Pollo Limone, she had the fettucine.. )

After diner we drove home, I parked the car in the spot earmarked for my first Pcar, and the rest of this story can be read in the playboy advisory (just kidding.)

All in all, it was a pretty amazing day. The only bad thing, I've had some really bad neck and back pains for the last week and it makes driving a bit uncomfortable (anyone know a good chiropractor in miami?)

It took months of looking and I kissed a lot of frogs (to find the car, not my girlfriend)
but it was worth every second of it. I almost feel bad that my search is over.
wait..who am I kidding..thank god the search is over.
I am now looking forward to sharing lots of Pcar stories with all of you. Sharing any DIY experience I gain. And of course, playing in your draft.
I hope to see some of you at Sebring next week. I'll be the one who looks like this

Well, that's my story for today..
I am going to leave it with a question, hope you don't mind..

I found the option codes under the hood of the car and was hoping someone could interperate them for me. Here's the list.

C02 XD1 XD2 X52 X71
X97 X98 159 235 373
374 408 425 454 490
498 650 688

00051 09981 09991 16981

Hopefully one of these numbers will also show the color. Artic or Polar?

Thanks again so much and
Hope to pass you soon...
B-Line C2S
Old 01-15-2002, 10:24 PM
Michael Elmore
Advanced

B-Line! Congratulations! I am almost there myself! (See my post about needing someone in Columbus to inspect "my" car for me.) It passed the PPI today with flying colors and now waiting for the body shop inspection to be done. However, I cannot break free from the office to fly there to inspect it myself. Enough about my "problem"...again, congratulations!

(Post some photos!)
Old 01-15-2002, 10:36 PM
B-Line C2S
Instructor

The only photo's I have right now are the ones from the dealership that are already posted. I will take some pics tomorrow and will have them up by tomorrow night..

I read your post earlier about your dilema in Columbus. I went to Ohio State University (Go Bucks!) and was trying to think of anyone I might have known. The only place that came to mind was Byers Imports. That is where I got my A4 years ago. They also do Porsche. I can't recommend them though because I really don't know how good they are.

Here's a suggestion though. Go onto PCA website and find a board member of the Ohio or Midwest region. Look for a board member who has the same area code as the person your buying from. Call them and ask them for a referral. That's what I did when I found my car in N. Carolina.

I wish you the best of luck in finding your car and if there's anything else I can do to assist please let me know.

Hope to pass you soon.
B-Line C2S
Old 01-15-2002, 10:41 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
congrats b-line!!
Old 01-15-2002, 10:51 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Talking

Well congrats b-line!!

Isn't that great feeling or what?! Enjoy!

I know the back feeling, I have sport susp. & seats + back problems, but still, I can't wait when I get my car lowered I've been going to one chiropractor in Miami Beach and it has helped though. I'll give you his number if you want to.
Old 01-15-2002, 10:51 PM
B-Line C2S
Instructor

Thanks Phil...
I appreciate it..
OH! and by the way...

(your gonna kill me for this one..)

You were right about the PPI guy. The dual mass fly wheel is fine.
Evidently the guy doing the PPI had a fallout with the dealership some time back. I am guessing that he was trying to hurt their business by giving me a bad PPI. (or, he just made an honest mistake.) who knows!
He also rated the car in average condition. It is far above average for a 6 yr. old car.
It's super clean except for a few barely noticable rock chips.
I now think he really didn't want me to buy the car for some reason..
So, my apoligies. Dealers are sometimes the honest ones and the PPI guys are sometimes not. Lesson learned!!

At the very least, I got a $300 certification from Porsche out of it.
Old 01-15-2002, 10:52 PM
dcpmark
Racer

Congrats! I hope to have the PPI on mine done within a week, and have it shortly thereafter......first step completed.....a clean Carfax!
Old 01-15-2002, 10:52 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts
Congratulations. Here are the codes I come up with:

Code Option Description
159 Motor Sound Pkg
235 Porsche approved tyres Bridgestone N2 or Pirelli N2
373 Left Sport Seat w/ Power Height Adjuster
374 Right Sport Seat w/ Power Height Adjuster
408 18" Technology Design Wheels [1996]
425 Rear wiper
454 Automatic speed control
490 Hi-Fi sound system
498 Without rear model designation
650 Sunroof
688 Radio cd CDR210
C02 Equipped with catalytic converter
X52 Console CD Storage for 5 Discs
X71 Aluminum Instrument Dials
X97 Aluminium/leather shift know
X98 Aluminium/leather parking break handle
09991 manufacture from the exclusive-programme

On color, there is a code somewhere in there that starts with a bold letter "L"...followed by 3 letters/numbers. If you see 92T or 92U it's Arctic.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 01-15-2002, 10:53 PM
B-Line C2S
Instructor

Finn....

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give me the number for your chiropractor. I have been in constant pain since last thursday. Nothing helps..
I've tried Ice, heat, massage, etc..
It's a recurring problem that I have but this time I got it bad....
So yes, I would really appreciate the referral.
Old 01-15-2002, 10:54 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Congratulations!!!!!!!! Sounds like a beauty!
Old 01-15-2002, 11:00 PM
B-Line C2S
Instructor

Hey Eric..

It's L92U --- So it's arctic...

Thanks for all the research..
I appreciate it a ton..

btw:
code 498 without rear designation...
That puts a light on a topic..
I was thinking the previous owner debadged the car. Now I realize it's from the factory like that.
Thanks again..
Old 01-15-2002, 11:07 PM
B-Line C2S
Instructor

Hey Eric,

Two more things if you don't mind.

I didn't see a code/description for the Aero kit. I was told it was a factory aero kit but maybe it was put on after..
Any ideas?

Second question:
The wheels are technology according to the codes. That means that they are the hollow turbo wheels (the lighter ones)
Right??

Thanks again..
Old 01-15-2002, 11:44 PM
Ran
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by B-Line C2S:
<STRONG>..
I didn't see a code/description for the Aero kit. I was told it was a factory aero kit but maybe it was put on after..
Any ideas?
Second question:
The wheels are technology according to the codes. That means that they are the hollow turbo wheels (the lighter ones)
Right??
Thanks again..</STRONG>
To the best of my knowledge, you have
-- the factory aero kit (my guess is that the XD1 and XD2 in combination with some other codes or by themselves.... (I recall seeing those codes on two aero kit porsches about a year back but I may have forgotten OR may be totally mistaken in my assumptions) AND
-- the hollow spoke wheels since that is the 18 inch option on C2S cars - again, AFAIK and you can check with part numbers for hollow spoke which are 993.362.136.00 front and 993.362.140.00 rear

Hope I am right and hope that further contributes to making your day. CONGRATS AND ENJOY your new car in good health.

PS: If someone has a factory aerokit on a 993C2S perhaps they can chime in (not that it would be conclusive unless we know ALL other codes on those cars but I just went back to check if my recollection was backed up by Robin's site or the other kindel decoder but could not come up with any confirmation so it is a guess at this point)
Old 01-16-2002, 01:07 AM
B-Line C2S
Instructor

Thanks for the added info Ran.
It's nice to know there so many knowledgeable people here.
I will double check it tomorrow on Robins. I haven't been on Robins yet so that should be a new experience for me.

It's midnight here. Just came back from another drive...What a car!!!

I still don't think she's as fast as a modded Audi S4 (off the line) but sure is a whole lot more fun to drive. I'm also confident that I'll see some nice improvements on my lap times at the track..

I noticed something funny tonight when I went out for my drive, the carrera (I'm assuming the motorsound) has a habit of setting off nearby car alarms. I set off 3 in my 1hr drive. I wasn't blantly reving the engine either. Just under normal acceleration, it set off the car alarms..
I thought that was kinda interesting.
I also thought it was interesting to see how many people stopped in their tracks to take notice of the car. Other motorists and pedestrians we're checking out the car all day and night. (guess I have to stop picking my nose ) just kidding!
Old 01-16-2002, 01:17 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

(guess I have to stop picking my nose ) just kidding!....nah just tint windows!!!

Quick Reply: Woohoo, I'm a Pcar owner......