Sponsored by:

993 Turbo look conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2002, 09:52 PM
medici78
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Post 993 Turbo look conversion

I was wondering if anyone knew of a widebody conversion for the 993s. I know that you can update a previous gen 911 to 993 look, but can you make a '95 993 into a Turbo look? It seems that a Turbo, C2S or C4S is out of my price range currently, but if I was to purchase a regular 993, is it feasible to do a widebody conversion in the future? Has anyone here done it?
Old 01-15-2002, 10:15 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you're going to get an answer that a) sure, anybody'll take your money to do anything, b) you'd be better off selling the '95, investing the money, waiting for a year or two, then buying the version you really want.

Just calculate the loss of resale value on the chopped-up '95 - that alone would probably pay for the more expensive factory model!!
Old 01-16-2002, 03:00 AM
medici78
Rennlist Member

Robert, you're missing the point. While "anybody'll take your money to do anything", I'm not really concerned about that. My question is more along the lines of whether or not someone here has been successful in a conversion of this type and who makes the parts to do it. As for "selling the '95, investing the money, waiting for a year or two, then buying the version you really want" you're REALLY missing the point, I don't want to go without a car for that long, meaning I'd prefer to do a widebody later on as opposed to going without a car for too long. A conversion would take a couple of months, tops, at a good body shop, which is much better than waiting for "investments" to yield gains. Also, I don't want the car "chopped up", this is why I asked the question in the first place to point me in the direction of a kit and a good bodyshop to install it in the Southwest.
Old 01-16-2002, 03:02 AM
medici78
Rennlist Member

Oh yes, Silver Bullet, you get the idea. I saw that car on eBay also. But you're right about the high cost. If they used the parts, does this mean it can be a "bolt-on" type of situation as well?
Old 01-16-2002, 03:05 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Medici, I understand your point, and Roberts point. I am also sure you can get the"conversion" done. however, you might look into just trading up! It may or may not be more $$$ and probabley a lot less time consuming? just my .02
Old 01-16-2002, 03:35 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

damn silver bullet you stay up late! I am gonna be in paso robles, not this weekend, but the weekend after. How far is paso, from montery?......May be you can take a jaunt down, I am having a huge tent sale event at the mid state fair grounds. Heck I will even buy you lunch!!
Old 01-16-2002, 04:16 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

If you can show up, I would like to meet you,and any other members of this board from the particlar regioin!!!!!!
Old 01-16-2002, 06:44 AM
medici78
Rennlist Member

Can't sleep...dammit. Oh well. Anyway, I just wanted to clarify something. From what I've been reading, it seems it is only the rear fenders that are different between regular C2/4 and C2/4S and Turbo. Am I correct in this assumption? Meaning, all models share the same front fenders?
Old 01-16-2002, 10:07 AM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts
The conversion is not that expensive. I looked into this option when my car had a incident at the track. Gert quoted me around 6K for all the factory body parts needed for the conversion.
Front fender joining plate
TT/C4S front fender
TT/C4S rear quarter
Door step TT/C4S
TT/C4S Euro rear bumper
TT/C4S Euro front bumper
Of course you will need to have these parts painted and installed. I did not do the conversion, instead I bought Fiskes and Hoosiers.
Old 01-16-2002, 11:13 AM
brandon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kim & Phil, I'd definitely like to do the drive. I haven't committed to anything else that weekend, but not sure what the "boss" may have in mind - she's got the "Master Schedule" with all the kids stuff on it as well. E-mail me offline when you have the details of times etc.

Medici, If you grab a copy of Excellence magazine, there are a couple of ads as I recall for folks that do these conversions. You could call them & at least get some idea what's involved.

BTW GO MINERS!!!

Quick Reply: 993 Turbo look conversion