Sponsored by:

How safe is a 993? and how about baby seats

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2003, 05:00 PM
Mackenzie
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts
Default How safe is a 993? and how about baby seats

I am a beginner, but love the 993s so i Just bought a '95 993 coupe. I have a few questions -
wondering how safe this car is i.e. crash test results etc.

also i have a 10 month old....what about baby seats...any recommendations?

finally any archive magazine reviews of the 993?

receiving my car next wk...looking forward to it.

thx
Old 11-18-2003, 05:05 PM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Couple of very good sources...First, check out www.p-car.com. The DIY section has a baby seat retrofit. Second, there is a lot of info on this subject in the archives. My children are older (6 and 4) and fit perfectly in the back using a Britax Starriser booster. In fact, the six-year old is tall enough so that she doesn't need the booster anymore. The kids love riding in the car.

I don't know of any crash test results, but my impression is that the car (for its size) is fairly safe.

As for reviews, go to cars.com where you can find archived reviews of the 993 dating back to the model's release.
Old 11-18-2003, 05:09 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

There was a long long thread on this very topic about a month or so ago. Do a search, probably on "safe" and "crash test"
Old 11-18-2003, 05:10 PM
Mackenzie
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

thx you Jason. i will look into it.

i wish the car had side airbags...i am assuming there is a crash cage around teh body of the car.
Old 11-18-2003, 05:16 PM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I posted a fairly lengthy response on this topic at this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...highlight=hldi
Old 11-18-2003, 05:27 PM
johnt53
Advanced

Congratulations on your new 993--be sure to post pictures. As far as articles are concerned, there are a couple that cover 993s to some extent in recent issues of Excellence, that may be interesting to you--not available via web to my knowledge, but you can purchase back copies from Excellence:

August 2003--Tech Forum: Buying a 993 by Jim Pasha
November 2003--Forty Years of the 911 [including the 993]

I feel quite safe in my 993, but I would also be interested in any objective data on the subject, if others have seen it.
Old 11-18-2003, 07:25 PM
ksimpson
Racer

I have the Porsche Prince which is part of the Tequipment range. It's a reasonable seat but only really suitable for short journies. However, you do need a longer seatbelt fitted to the 993 to fit the Porsche Prince or I guess any child seat that requires the seatbelt to anchor it.

Your OPC should be familiar with the seatbelt part number - it's also not too expensive (only €40 here in Ireland). The replacement is not that much longer, only 20mm, but it's enough to fit the Prince seat as the original seatbelt is only slightly too short to get around the seat.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:03 PM
User 4621
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 326 Posts

Your '95 does not have an airbag disable switch, so children must ride in the rear seats only. This is an issue with rear facing seats, but you can get an aftermarket disable switch installed.

Once the kid is old enough to ride front-facing, it's much easier. My kids are 4 and 6 and ride in the car all the time. The 4yo still uses a car seat, the Britax Starriser Comfy. It is exactly the same as the Porsche Zoom Comfy except it has a demin cover instead of fabric. IMO, the demin is much nicer looking and more durable than the Porsche fabric. It's also less than half the price. The seat has adjustable width, you have to make sure it's at minimum width to fit properly in the rear seat.

Old 11-19-2003, 08:34 AM
deleonl1
Racer

I'm thinking about diving into the 993 fun and have a little 5 month old boy of my own.

My big question: is there any room in the trunk to carry baby things...stroller, diaper bags, etc?

What do you all carry in the trunk?
Old 11-19-2003, 09:16 AM
ksimpson
Racer

The trunk is not that big. You can certainly fit the necessary bags, however, a stroller is a realy challenge. Mine certainly doesn't fit hence the 993 is only used for short point to point journies when I have my 9 month old son on board.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:28 AM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

Second what ksimpson said. Unless you find a stroller that can really collapse, you're out of luck. We had to bring our small umbrella stroller for a trip a week or two ago, and it shared the front seat with my wife. She remarked that next time I would sit with the stroller and she would drive!
Old 11-19-2003, 12:13 PM
Tim993
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have been looking into putting a car seat in the backseat of my 96. I have checked out the DIY on p-car.com and think I will do the install of the tether anchor on the rear deck. My new car seat has the LATCH system strap that seems much easier/safer than using the seat belt. I would like to install hooks where each side of the seat belt is attached to the car and use the LATCH strap to secure the seat. Does anybody see any problems with this approach outside of the "cosmetic" problem of having the two hooks exposed at the seat belt points? Thanks
Old 11-19-2003, 01:00 PM
deleonl1
Racer

Will you be able to retrofit hooks for the LATCH system? I didn't think this could be done. Where would you get the hooks?
Old 11-19-2003, 01:21 PM
Tim993
Addict
Rennlist Member

My thought on the hooks would be to use the type of hook that is used for the tether anchor as show on the p-car.com DIY. I believe that it is an anchor hook for a Ford truck. I have not taken the rear seat belt out yet to look at the size of the bolt that anchors them in place but was hoping that it would be long enough to add the hook. My goal is to eliminate the need for replacing the shoulder harness belt with a lap only belt which is much more difficult get really snug compared to the LATCH system belt.
Old 11-20-2003, 06:07 PM
ploglet
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I put our small stroller in the TT all the time. It is pretty small, the stroller that is, so it fits well but if you have a stroller that has all the bells and whistles then I would be surprised if you got it to fit.
I drive the TT up to Vail all the time for the weekend with my wife and little 2 year old, Bjorn, and it is perfect. Fun for the whole family....

Quick Reply: How safe is a 993? and how about baby seats