Convertable Top hinge marks-Need feedback

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 10:17 AM
Rockit
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Convertable Top hinge marks-Need feedback

You guys with Cabs...

My top is new Porsche, I've had it for just over a year. I always get deep hinge impressions, 2 on each side on the edge about to the rear of the door glass.

Yesterday I just noticed a small tear starting.

Does your tops also do this? Not the tear but deep hinge marks.

I'm thinking the top was not installed right or the hinges were bent.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:27 PM
Rockit
Racer

Name:  993%20120_zps658kr3jz.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  436.3 KB
Old 05-29-2017, 01:31 PM
Holytin
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

So that is a new top canvas ay around 1 year of age?? Mine was replaced in 2006 not OEM but GAAH. Looks still fine - no issues. Who installed?
Old 05-29-2017, 01:39 PM
Disraeli
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure what is going on there, Rockit. Here are a couple of shots of my now 19 1/2 year old top.

You can see the an impression on the passenger's side because I've been driving around top down this weekend but if I leave it up for a day or two and use some cab conditioner on it it goes away.
Attached Images   
Old 05-29-2017, 08:45 PM
Holytin
Pro

Originally Posted by Disraeli
Not sure what is going on there, Rockit. Here are a couple of shots of my now 19 1/2 year old top.

You can see the an impression on the passenger's side because I've been driving around top down this weekend but if I leave it up for a day or two and use some cab conditioner on it it goes away.
Those marks look like indentations caused by the pins (left/right) when the canvas does not fold correctly and get's pinched. Happened to me once and I always stop the top 3/4 down to ensure the top is folded correctly. Most likely that's what happened and not hinge marks. See a similar mark on the pictures provided with the previous post, especially on the passenger side.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:10 PM
Rockit
Racer

Thanks for the help.....I'll try and stop the roof 3/4 and keep it away for the hinges. Sucks..brand new roof and headliner.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:34 AM
Disraeli
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Holytin
Those marks look like indentations caused by the pins (left/right) when the canvas does not fold correctly and get's pinched. Happened to me once and I always stop the top 3/4 down to ensure the top is folded correctly. Most likely that's what happened and not hinge marks. See a similar mark on the pictures provided with the previous post, especially on the passenger side.
Good to know, I'll try it the next couple of times to see what that looks like.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:30 PM
2RedPorsche
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Holytin
If these are from the pins as Holytin is suggesting it has nothing to do with hinges.
The pins are nasty big spikes sticking up just waiting for your roof so that they can puncture it, argh!
There is a bar that is pulled back by elastic straps that in turn pulls the canvas back out of the way of the pins. However it doesn't always happen that way due to the loss of elasticity in those straps with time.
It is the bar that Holytin is saying to watch and make sure it's doing its job properly.
I know because I have matching holes through the canvas on both sides of my roof!
Old 05-30-2017, 06:15 PM
Rockit
Racer

Originally Posted by 2RedPorsche
If these are from the pins as Holytin is suggesting it has nothing to do with hinges.
The pins are nasty big spikes sticking up just waiting for your roof so that they can puncture it, argh!
There is a bar that is pulled back by elastic straps that in turn pulls the canvas back out of the way of the pins. However it doesn't always happen that way due to the loss of elasticity in those straps with time.
It is the bar that Holytin is saying to watch and make sure it's doing its job properly.
I know because I have matching holes through the canvas on both sides of my roof!
Thanks...did you happen to take any pictures ??? not of the hole but the strape...my roof is new and I guarantee its not there if it not part of the roof.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:15 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Root cause are the elastic straps that are broken or do not provide the correct tension to pull the canvas away from the poles while the top closes. I would expect that a professional installer gets this right and than it lasts for more than just 1 year.

Would be interested to see more pics of the strap in several positions of roof opening.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:55 AM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Another reason why manual operation is my preferred option. If you have to be out of the car to make sure it folds correctly, no reason to use a switch. You can't reach the switch and fold the top properly at the same time.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:48 AM
Holytin
Pro

Originally Posted by vincer77
Another reason why manual operation is my preferred option. If you have to be out of the car to make sure it folds correctly, no reason to use a switch. You can't reach the switch and fold the top properly at the same time.
Switching to manual is not a valid option for everyone including myself, and won't remedy the situation. Just a "patch" the way I look at it, maybe even less. You still have to get out of the car, manual or automatic, to lay down the top and to make sure everything is where it should be. Another good practice (while you are out sorting everything) is to lay a large towel on the rear window before it is completely folded to prevent a scratched and 'hazy" looking rear window. This way you avoid contact "clear plastic-clear plastic" and your window will look like new even after years of operation. Mine still does after 11 years of operation.

However, best thing to do is to pay attention to detail regardless. Happy hump-day!
Old 05-31-2017, 09:32 AM
quakerJacket
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any chance someone could post a picture that helps show how to make sure the top is folding properly?

Thanks,
Joe
Old 05-31-2017, 10:03 AM
Rockit
Racer

Originally Posted by quakerJacket
Any chance someone could post a picture that helps show how to make sure the top is folding properly?

Thanks,
Joe
Yes that would be a HUGE help.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:32 PM
2RedPorsche
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockit
Thanks...did you happen to take any pictures ??? not of the hole but the strape...my roof is new and I guarantee its not there if it not part of the roof.
It's hard to capture a good pic because everything is black but I've attached the best I could get.
You can see the bracket for the bar (piece with long part number on it) and it's in the correct position. You can see the large pin to the right that will puncture your roof if the bar isn't pushing the roof back. The wavy elastic under the part number on the bracket is the elastic on the passenger side and you have the same on the drivers side. Mine doesn't seem to have much tension to it anymore but lately my roof has been behaving and the bar has been pushing the canvas back.
You can also see a patch that was glued on from the inside by an upolstery shop to strengthen the roof on both sides where it's been punctured.
Hope this helps.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Convertable Top hinge marks-Need feedback