Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! - Any Swiss Porsche Owners out there?...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2002, 02:46 PM
Mike in Switzerland
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help! - Any Swiss Porsche Owners out there?...

Dear all

My 993 has lived between UK and Switzerland for the last 2 years. I brought it back two weeks ago to finally import it into Switzerland.

However I had an "interesting" visit to the MFK (car-testing people) today. A 40 minute appointment turned into 2.5 hours as a very officious guy with a clipboard absolutely crawled over my car looking for problems.

One example was "surface rust" on the inside of the rear brake discs - this is despite the car passing the brake test with a 100% rating. When I returned to my local garage they "removed" the "rust" with their finger, whilst offering a few choice words in the officials direction.

He finally got me by deciding that the tinted security glass on my cars side windows (fitted by approved UK dealer) is below the accepted Swiss standard of 70% light transmission. I therefore have two choices if I want to import the car.

(ii) Remove the film (Not possible since it was baked on in an oven).

(iii) Change both driver & passenger window glass as cheaply as possible

Can you recommend any companies that dismantle Porsches in Switzerland or Southern Germany? I would like to buy some (intact!) windows from a broken or salvage car and have them fitted by a local company. Since the car is 6 years old I don't want to go down the route of main dealer prices.

Before I go to either of the above measures I have been "invited" to visit the main Laboratory in Bern & pay CHF 230 for a test which will probably confirm that less than 70% light is transmitted. (Therefore it isn't probably worth doing the test).

Despite my protestations about the ridiculous number of questionably-legal cars over here with the blackest window-film on driver and passenger windows, the official didn't seem to care. He just kept stating that it was obviously Swiss film so it should be ok.

Any numbers or web pages for Swiss Porsche dismantlers (or Southern Germany) would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

Mike
Old 01-14-2002, 02:54 PM
993RS
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Mike,
At the risk of repeating myself, my experience is that if you have an official Porsche dealer present your car, you always get through OK. Sounds like you had bad luck with a nit-picking inspector...
Regards, Phil
PS: Did you look at the RS?
Old 01-15-2002, 07:52 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Dear Mike,
Welcome to Switzerland. If you check out web site www.carweb.ch you will find on the top left a banner for a company ABW. This is a wreckers. I know they have a 993 being dismantled.
HOWEVER, ensure you have the correct paperwork with the windows. They may ask you to prove that they are genuine Porsche parts. Be there done that bought that T-shirt.
Often here it is better to purchase new items.
Porsche dealers are hard to find and if you did not purchase from them, normally they are not interested in helping. If they do they charge like wounded bulls. Besides it also depends on the MFK centre. Where I live "NOTHING" gets through with or without a dealer present if it doesn´t meet the law.
10 years of living here you learn these things the hard way.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4

PS: Wreckers here in Switzerland are tough to find. One that will actually sell parts to you is even tougher.
Old 01-15-2002, 11:52 AM
Andreas.
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face

Hello Mike
I advice you to go thru :Amag AG. they are expensive but the work is well done..

This inspection (MFK) is very hard, and it's not only because you have a 993, it's about all the vehicules...
bye.

Bilstein
looking for a 993 C4S
Old 01-15-2002, 01:22 PM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 128 Posts
After 2 visits with my SSR GT3 wheels made in Japan, bought in the US, no Swiss importer, not approved by Porsche, with non
Porsche Cargraphic spacers I finally got through but much documentation was needed.

Quick Reply: Help! - Any Swiss Porsche Owners out there?...