Sponsored by:

oil inside intake manifold?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2003, 10:36 AM
sandman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil inside intake manifold?????

Sent my car in for a oil change and to change the valve cover gaskets. We found oil collected on top of the engine under the air intake. On removing the air intake pipes (mine is a 1995 so no varioram) we found oil inside the intake manifold???? How can oil get there?? I do have a cut out airbox with a K&N filter could oil be sucked in through there??

I am seriously concerned can anyone advice me if they have faced this problem before or with any information on where the leak could come from...

Thanks in advance guys

Sandman
Old 11-11-2003, 11:21 PM
deltajetfixer
Advanced

I noticed this when I first bought my car and had the intake manifolds off for my wiring harness change. I think there might've been around a tablespoon or two present?

I'm guessing it gets there through the breather vent plumbing.

I had the manifold off again for an oil pressure sender change and didn't notice nearly as much present which leads me to believe the previous owner was running the oil level a bit high.

Make sure you don't overfill your engine with oil. I normally run about at the halfway mark on the dipstick which coincides with about a 4:00 position on my oil level gauge.
Old 11-12-2003, 02:14 AM
sandman
Advanced

Hi Deltajetfixer

Thanks so much for your advice. We dont have an official Porsche centre here and issues like this leave me stumped. I am really glad that we have this board.

The car was overfilled the last oil change so I suppose this was the cause. However there is quite alot of oil in the manifold pipes. Is this a problem??

Thanks again

Sandman
Old 11-12-2003, 02:50 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Check out this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...threadid=90662
Old 11-12-2003, 11:39 AM
pjc
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like the engine has been over filled with oil.

PJC
Old 11-13-2003, 03:06 AM
sandman
Advanced

Thanks a lot guys. Looks like the problem will be solved. My Car is in for an oil change and they are also replacing the gaskets on the valve covers. By the way I did receive the gaskets from FVD but my mechanic tells me that there is a cork sheet and gasket also???? What are the gaskets supposed to be made off??
Old 11-13-2003, 12:16 PM
deltajetfixer
Advanced

Originally posted by sandman
Thanks a lot guys. Looks like the problem will be solved. My Car is in for an oil change and they are also replacing the gaskets on the valve covers. By the way I did receive the gaskets from FVD but my mechanic tells me that there is a cork sheet and gasket also???? What are the gaskets supposed to be made off??
On a 993 which I'm assuming you have since you said '95, the valve cover gaskets are rubber.

You should have 8 separate pieces: 2 large (one each for each lower) and 6 smaller gaskets (3 each for each upper). They are pretty substantial looking and definitely not cork sheet.
Old 11-13-2003, 03:01 PM
sandman
Advanced

Yes the gaskets are rubber but they have a thin cork sheet on top of them. Has anyone seen this. My car is a 1995 993.

Thanks

Sandman

Quick Reply: oil inside intake manifold?????