Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Engine Light is coming on every single day now after resetting-Anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 08:25 PM
ecobb993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick update on Greff Motors. I called twice today but Randy must have been busy scrubbing out clogged Porsche pipes and wasn't able to call back.

Be sure I'll work on him tomorrow.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:41 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Before spending the big bucks, would try the following:

- Stop driving it every day. This is commuting, right? Thought is you never get the 9+ quarts of oil heated so you aggravate the crud buildup.
- On a couple of successive weekends, dump in a LARGE bottle of Techron (one for 20 gallons) , and give the car a nice 2-4 hour "Italian tune-up" on an interstate and/or lightly used back road.

If it doesn't work, at least you had some fun!

(79K miles on my 993; CEL has never come on while engine was running. Then again, this is a '95!)

All you CEL folks have me wondering about the wisdom of buying a '96 or newer 993 to replace my present one in another couple of years.
Old 11-13-2003, 12:43 PM
ecobb993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, I just got off the phone with Greff's Porsche guy, Randy. He said it's a PIA job that takes 10+/- hours, but it's the only way to deal with the clogged SAI ports on cars not needing valves/guides.

They pour carbon cleaner - "anything will do; Gumout, etc" down the SAI port pipes on top of the cam towers and let it sit over night. Then, drop the exhaust and, working from the bottom, use a combination of various sizes, lengths and shapes of wires through the port openings just outside the exhaust valves, manually cleaning out the buildup.

They have been doing this procedure for a year and have not seen any recurrence.

Looks like anyone within driving distance of New Orleans ought to look them up.
Old 11-13-2003, 06:39 PM
Jeff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like you guys found a fix (scraping out the ports) -- congratulations. Truly a great forum.

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light is coming on every single day now after resetting-Anyone else?