Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Engine Light is coming on every single day now after resetting-Anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2003, 08:00 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question how many miles???

just to get a feel for the "cel" thing... i have a little over 20k on my p-car & absolutely no light-up yet. (knock on wood) i use chevron/91+ & techron additive every 3k & do the italian tune-up weekly.

!!!! but i tell ya... if this issue does arise, i'll be one to pull the blasted bulb!!!!

steve & others, @ what point did your "cel" light up?

Old 11-11-2003, 09:02 PM
Don't lift
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

24FPS
Clogged SAI passages seems to surface on engines with 50K+ miles.......stay on course with chevron/techron/italian and you might never see the CEL !?

--------------------
'97 blk/blk C2S
Old 11-11-2003, 09:34 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

37K on mine! But I can't vouch for how the previous owner drove the car.

I would add that I was very concerned about this issue since I was in the market for a 40K mile car. I got very lucky and found a car that had had the "valve job". But if I hadn't I was counting on the circuit I referred to above becoming available (which would fool the OBD into thinking the air pump was working correctly). Unless you are burning oil, I see no reason to fix the SAI, since the cars in Europe don't even have it to begin with.

It seems like the circuit was posted on here before, but I can't find it on my computer at work. Maybe I saved it at home. Not likely since I don't check Rennlist at home but I'll look.

Greg H.
Old 11-11-2003, 10:20 PM
914und993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WRT the 'simulate the proper functioning SAI' circuit, I've got it in JPG format for the curious. I haven't tried to build it, hoping someone would design a pc board to make it easy. I haven't heard anything from the original designer lately, but his prototype was working well on his 993.

See:
http://www.thistleracers.net/993/993airpumpbypass.jpg

Chip
Old 11-11-2003, 11:38 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

I've been at work all day and have read all your messages. I feel like I'm a member of a support group... "My name's Steve and I'm a victim of CEL trauma" To answer some questions: Ok - my car burns practically NO oil at it's current 62k miles. After reading through all these posts, I need to find a way to disengage that freakin' CEL. I really don't care what the consequences of doing it are. I'll use my code reader once a month to check for nasty, scary codes, like " # 666 - Your engine's fried dude - stick a crowbar in your wallet and let me see you bleed". That's the kind of code I'd find useful. The dumb secondary air injection code is a worthless piece of information to me and I don't ever want to see it again! There's no way in heck I'm going to spend $5k to fix something that isn't broke! My car runs great.

Done. Time to call Autotherapy and see if he will disconnect my CEL bulb! So, do I need to reattach the bulb before I go in for Md. inspection every two years or so? That's no big deal, I guess.

Such a simple solution - disconnecting the bulb! Sometimes, the simplest, cheapest fixes work best.

Steve
Old 11-11-2003, 11:41 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

See - I told you to remove the bulb on the top of the first page of this thread. Now you just need to get the checkbook back so she doesn't know what you are up to.
Old 11-11-2003, 11:52 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

DC from Cape Cod - yes, you're right. But it was sooooo convenient having her pay all the bills this past year. This must have saved me tons of time and energy. Hmmm - is it worth it to re-complicate my life by me doing all that work again? I WOULD have the power to "cook our books" a bit and finagle some dough out of the accounts for secret mods and fixes to the car if I took control.

What to do...

Steve
Old 11-12-2003, 12:45 AM
Bill 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve,

Would you share your mileage and oil consumption with us? Many of us may be interested to learn if this problem is happening to low mileage, low oil burning 993s.

Thanks
Bill
Old 11-12-2003, 01:09 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What is really meant by "my car consumes no oil." I am 2,200 miles into my last oil change on my daily driver and I am half way on the twisted part of the dip stick when the engine temp is @ 9:00. I assume it was to the top immediately after the change. I would be concerned if this is considered high oil consumption since I had new valves, pistons, rings, etc replaced about 12,000 miles ago - shortly after the CEL preceeded a massive problem that may have concluded with a broken ring.
Old 11-12-2003, 02:10 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Hi Greg,

I am still working on bulding a plug in kit (very slowly...I have started another company and its been busy) and are still snagged on the connectors. I wanted to plug in at the O2 sensor connectors in the engine bay. The AMP connectors (8 in total) required are from Germany and cannot be ordered in quanities in less than 3000pcs, running about $3 connector. It turns out that the mininum AMP order would be around $12K, a little high for such a low quanity product!

Anways I have working together with another rennlister to make our own custom connectors...and that is proceeding nicely but its not prefect yet. Its coming together. Really sorry about the delays...
Old 11-12-2003, 06:36 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Steve,

I had a couple of those "misfires" codes come up. CEL went on after I stalled the engine on reverse(backing up in my inclined drive way. Just my thought, maybe a chamber fired while engine is right at the stalling moment??

97C2, mileage currently 33,795.

Last edited by Carrera Mike; 11-13-2003 at 09:12 AM.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:23 AM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am 1500 miles after my last change and I am still on the top of the twisted part of the dipstick.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:43 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

When I say it burns no oil at 62k miles, I mean't to say that it burn very little oil. Whenever I go to check it, which I'm ashamed to say is very, very infrequently, it is almost the whole way to the top of the dipstick. I've only added a little oil now and then between oil changes.

I just called my independent and he said he can't turn the CEL off permanently, that it may cause a problem in the computer as the circuit runs through the bulb? "Lots of different sensors go through the bulb and I may not be able to start the car!?" In the end, he said he'd take out the bulb for me and see... He said I should simply have the work done that Tischer recommended, which was to replace the "one way valve" and the "on/off valve" for $1200 and hopefully this should fix the problem.

That's back to square one! When I told him that it MAY need a valve job which is more like $5k, he said "you don't need that". He added - "why do you need that?" and I told him that I probably have the Carbon Buildup problem. He said he'd have to ask someone else and to get back to him tomorrow.

I just wish someone could tell me FOR SURE what problem I have so I could decide to either fix it (if it would truly solve the problem) or not fix it (by removing the bulb for the CEL).

I can't believe this is the highly lauded Porsche I got here... lately I feel like I'm driving a ... lemon!

Steve
Old 11-12-2003, 09:56 AM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Don't go overboard - this problem is an annoyance, nothing more. Worst case scenario is a $5K outlay somewhere down the road and that can be planned for over time. The fix will also correct a number of other problems caused by wear in a higher mileage engine....some of which you would do anyway even without the CEL.

You didn't expect to buy a used car with high miles and have no issues at all, did you? You saved the money upfront on your car - it might require some down the road.
Old 11-12-2003, 10:04 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Thanks DC for your tough but realistic reply...

Alright - maybe I live in Fantasyland, but since I replaced the clutch, the windshield, the lower cam cover gasket (?), the tires, and some other little stuff when I bought my car, no, I didn't think I'd need to put an additional $5k into the car within the first year - despite the "high" miles. I had the initial dealer do a very thorough PPI and they specifically said that NO codes came up indicating that my car had the carbon buildup problem. That's why I bought the car with the higher miles - to save some money!

Aarghhhh. Throwing $5k at this problem isn't in the cards right now. Driving with the CEL light on is starting to look like a marvelous alternative! What's the proof that I have the a real problem? This is the part I don't understand....

Steve

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light is coming on every single day now after resetting-Anyone else?