993 Forum 1995-1998

TRG vs. RS sway bars for Pss9's

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 10:11 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

I have the TRG bars as well... Two club racing weekends and a few DE's no movement so far.. .. if I can find cheap RS links I will change the TRG ones as I do not really like the angle they seat at full stiff.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:34 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greg,

Here are the drop links I use on my car with the TRG bar. The great thing is they are ADJUSTABLE. So instead of taking half the suspension apart to set zero preload on the sway bar, just adjust the link...

Here is the current one that I use as I have the TRG sway bar mount on my Motons. These use incredibly strong 3 piece rod ends with teflon liners so they won't rust and are permanently lubricated. I am comparing it to the drop link from a PSS9 kit.

Here is another link that I will be using for PSS9s. The rod ends here have a kevlar / teflon liner with even a stronger burst rate. The rod that I was prototyping came in with the wrong left hand thread, but you get the idea.

The biggest issue is getting the proper spacers / bushing so that you don't have interference and binding between the mount and sway bar with the rodends. I have all of these pieces made for me now and use them with my installs.
Old 11-10-2003, 11:24 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Bob,
Nice stuff.
Send me a PM with a price for a set, when you get a chance.
Thanks
Greg
Old 11-11-2003, 12:23 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally posted by Greg Fishman
Bob,
Nice stuff.
Send me a PM with a price for a set, when you get a chance.
Thanks
Greg
I will second that request if you please...

TIA
Old 11-11-2003, 12:38 AM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Viperbob: Those are nice pieces.

TRG vs. OEM RS - My experience mirrors that of Steve W. and David T. If it is a track only car, who cares. Fixing the collars is just part of the nut and bolt routine. If it a street car, TRG bars will make you think the front end of the car is about to fall off and drive you crazy.

Regarding welding anything to a sway bar, you can't. Welding the bar will weaken the surface of it and that is where all the actual work is done. It's not that it will break, but it won't act like a 25 mm bar once you heat it up with a welder.

Hank
Old 11-11-2003, 12:43 AM
poorb0yw
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Bob: If you wouldn't mind, could I get the measurements/specs for those drop links constructed from rod ends? I was considering doing this.
Old 11-11-2003, 01:02 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Ok, it just hit me. Hank, when did you get your front TRG bar? They recently redesigned the front bushings so that the collar does not interfere with the frame which could potentially cause some noise. This seemed to be the biggest issue they had with them.

I have not had to tighten or re-adjust the collars or sway bars since February when I installed them on the car. The only problem I had with the suspension was that the stupid PSS9 sway bar mounts kept twisting until I put a lock ring on the bottom.
Old 11-11-2003, 01:29 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

I had the problem with the collars on TRG bars until I got the new bushings for the front. Attached is a picture of what they look like.

I haven't had any problems with the new set up. I've done 2 DE's and a couple of private sessions and they are still as tight as the day I installed them. I almost gave up on the bars. This is going to keep them on my car. I prefer them to the RS bars because they are thicker.

George
Old 11-11-2003, 01:39 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 346 Posts

Where do these bushings come from????
Old 11-11-2003, 02:24 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Martin,

They are now the standard TRG bushings that come with all their new front bars. Call Ryan at TRG and he will probably send you a set.
Old 11-11-2003, 03:05 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Bob,

Are the new sway bars different? If so, how?

I've had mine for four years (more or less). I use to tighten the collars after every track outing. I got sick of doing it. I inquired about getting the collars welded, but no one wanted to do it. Just as I was about to replace them with the RS bars, I ordered some stuff from TRG and complained about the bar and learned about the new bushings. Now, if I could just keep my rear bushings from getting dry and squeaking.

George
Old 11-11-2003, 03:06 PM
os993
Rennlist Member

Received 394 Likes on 242 Posts

Is the concern with the front bar only, and not the rear?
Old 11-11-2003, 03:18 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

I only had an issue with the front bar. There are no lateral (side to side) forces applied to the rear bar, plus the collar gets an equal distribution of force. With the old bushings, only one-third of each collar on the front bar was in contact with anything (part of the subframe).

George
Old 11-11-2003, 03:22 PM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As an FYI, H&R has been working on bars for the 993 and I believe they should be released within the next month or so. Last time I spoke to them they were still testing them.
Old 11-11-2003, 03:36 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

George,

I have not had an issue with the front or rear bar in my car. Also, you might try some of the teflon lube from performance products. It will keep you bushings lubricated, and it is pretty impervious to water so it lasts a LONG time. This is all that I ever use for plastic bushings and I have never had one squeek or creak... It costs like $5 for a lifetime supply....

Quick Reply: TRG vs. RS sway bars for Pss9's