Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top mounts

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017 | 04:01 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SpeedyS2
Thanks. I think I will have to go in and take it all apart again - not sure I can live with it probably being installed incorrectly.

The engine mounts need replacing, regardless, so here's to hoping all of the above sets things right.
I've got the RS mounts and think they are great. I think you'll like the feel of new mounts.
Old 02-28-2017 | 04:27 PM
cluskera
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tlaloc75
I've got the RS mounts and think they are great. I think you'll like the feel of new mounts.
ive just one question now I think - once you know what direction to put the top mount how do you know what way to put the spacer and cushioning piece below. It seems to me that could be even more important as they aren't symmetrical at all.

The teeth on the spacer get smaller then disappear is best way to describe. You could put that any way you like.....

Is there anything in manual to dictate where you align the bottom two pieces?
Old 02-28-2017 | 04:50 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cluskera
ive just one question now I think - once you know what direction to put the top mount how do you know what way to put the spacer and cushioning piece below. It seems to me that could be even more important as they aren't symmetrical at all.

The teeth on the spacer get smaller then disappear is best way to describe. You could put that any way you like.....

Is there anything in manual to dictate where you align the bottom two pieces?
Send me your email in PM and I'll send you the instructions I have in PDF form.
Old 03-01-2017 | 04:39 AM
cluskera
Instructor

Hi folks, to align the bottom pieces (the support and spacer) underneath the top mount, it seems from these pics you'd want the thin "lip" pointing forward and inwards.

This does make sense looking at the shock angles and the angle of the 'tower ceiling' that everything sits against.

Looking from front of car you'd see the above.

Looking from rear of car you'd see this.
Old 03-06-2017 | 02:56 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

I talked to SteveW about rear shock mount orientation and he let me know that he doesn't think it matters. If they are installed the wrong way it doesn't effect anything important and can be left as is. He says it was more important on the 964 but in a 993 with PSS10 its not an issue.
Old 03-07-2017 | 08:18 AM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

I talked to SteveW about rear shock mount orientation and he let me know that he doesn't think it matters. If they are installed the wrong way it doesn't effect anything important and can be left as is. He says it was more important on the 964 but in a 993 with PSS10 its not an issue.
This is good to hear, though in my case I installed Bilsteins B6XT's and not PSS10's.

My motor mounts need replacing regardless, so they are on order from Carnewal now. Once they are in, I'll see how the handling reacts and go from there.

Last edited by SpeedyC2; 03-09-2017 at 08:51 AM.
Old 03-09-2017 | 03:00 AM
cluskera
Instructor

Originally Posted by cluskera
Hi folks, to align the bottom pieces (the support and spacer) underneath the top mount, it seems from these pics you'd want the thin "lip" pointing forward and inwards.

This does make sense looking at the shock angles and the angle of the 'tower ceiling' that everything sits against.

Looking from front of car you'd see the above.

Looking from rear of car you'd see this.
hi folks, I thought I should come back having put these back in. The two parts below the top mounts (spacer and support) are not symmetrically opposite. Therefore you can't have an equal and opposite position for those. In the drawing above I'm suggesting you can or that it would appear to be the case. You can only do this roughly as the pieces are identical not symmetrically opposite.

The manual is also silent in this so it seems it can't be critical. I put mine as close to equal and opposite as I could.

it didn't make a difference as far as I could tell. Making sure the springs we're home and adding marks was a more tangible benefit.
Old 03-11-2017 | 04:55 PM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

FWIW, I replaced my motor mounts with the RS units yesterday and my concerns with handling are gone. The car now easily handles as well as my Cayman S.

Either we got the orientation of the top mounts correct when we replaced them a few weeks ago, or it makes little difference as has been suggested.
Old 03-11-2017 | 05:04 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SpeedyS2
FWIW, I replaced my motor mounts with the RS units yesterday and my concerns with handling are gone. The car now easily handles as well as my Cayman S.

Either we got the orientation of the top mounts correct when we replaced them a few weeks ago, or it makes little difference as has been suggested.
Good to hear! I don't think it makes much, if any, difference but I'm going to check mine before my next alignment. I'll let you know what I find.

Do you notice any additional noise or vibration with the rs mounts?
Old 03-11-2017 | 07:00 PM
SpeedyC2
Rennlist Member

I would say additional NVH, if any, is very minor.
Old 03-18-2017 | 12:51 AM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Good to hear! I don't think it makes much, if any, difference but I'm going to check mine before my next alignment. I'll let you know what I find.

Do you notice any additional noise or vibration with the rs mounts?
I've got more information to add on the shock mount orientation. At my last (interim) corner balance I noticed that one of the rear spring perches was adjusted 10mm different and yet ride height was equal on both sides. I dug into it with my mechanic and as part of the investigation he dropped both rear shocks and check mount orientation. Turns out they were both backwards, so that was corrected and they were bolted back up again. Corner balance again correctly and with no side to side differences in spring perch this time.

My conclusion is that the orientation does indeed matter, the shape is not completely symmetrical and it must have hung up a little in the mounting hole on one side. Mine is all set now, but if you are unsure about your orientation and especially if you notice anything odd when setting ride height or corner balance, its worth checking.

Quick Reply: Top mounts