Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 05:56 PM
John H. in DC Area
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DC/MD/NoVA Rennlist gathering today w/pics

The gathering this morning was fantastic, it was simply amazing to see so many well kept P-cars. Hats off to Steve for a very well organized and attended event. Unfortunately, I couldn't make the subsequent drive to Annapolis and lunch because of prior family commitments. I felt like a sick child with nose pressed firmly to window watching all my buddies go off to play football or something. I even said, "have fun and be safe," to the departing drivers for goodness sakes.

Looking forward to the recap of the events from later in the day.

Below are some pics, but first here are a couple of highlights for me:

1) Putting faces to screen names and meeting some folks for the first time: Skip (whose father looks younger than he does), Mark in Baltimore, Mike, Peter, Bobby, Chris, Rezal, and others.

2) The sound of Mark's exhaust with supercups. Spine-tingling.

3) For the first time ever, getting my butt kicked on the street by any car under safe and fair conditions, in this case Mike Sobota's nearly identical black/black 993TT. I say nearly identical, because his car's packing 500 dyno-proven horses. After watching the rest of the group head off to Annapolis, I was trundling slowly down Wisconsin Ave just after White Flint Mall in the right lane (shows you how depressed I was that I was in the right lane), and came up to a stoplight. There was one car stopped ahead of me in my lane, and to the left I noticed the first car in the middle lane was Mike's black 993TT. My depression lifted immediately. I could see that Wisconsin Ave. was clear for a quarter mile all the way down to the Beltway junction ahead and figured Mike didn't see me. As soon as Mike briskly headed off the line at the green light, I jumped into his lane behind him and floored it, thinking that I would catch him off guard and pass him on the left. No such luck, he hit the throttle hard at the same time and immediately put two, three, four car lengths on me, while I banged my rev limiter in third and fourth. His car is damn impressive, even emitting some loud backfiring and popping on shifting. Man, does power ever corrupt. I'm now planning not only my next stage of mods, but also precisely what groveling technique will mostly likely succeed in prying money out of the home remodeling bank account my wife and I set up. Oh boy, thanks Mike, that'll be two spankings this month, and none of the enjoyable kind But I'm damn proud that it was a fellow 993TT'er that gave me a spanking. It's good to be humble. You sure didn't seem worried about your tires rubbing today, eh Mike.

Looking forward to the next gathering!

Last edited by John H. in DC Area; 11-09-2003 at 09:25 PM.
Old 11-09-2003, 08:15 PM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Excellent get together!!! The only down side to this is that there wasn't enough time to really get to know each person. It was great getting to put a face with a name. It was a good spirited run to Annapolis and no tickets (of course we all managed to go the speed limit ).

So many variations of our beloved 993 and even a few 944's and a Boxster. A great day for a P-car gathering. Looking forward to the next one!!

Thanks to Steve for pulling this together -

John - great job at capturing the flavor of the events!!
Old 11-09-2003, 09:37 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

John, just like I told the guy from CA with their fun run pix, thanks for sharing pictures to envy(at least for me). I like doing fun runs the best. What time did they call it the day?

I never seen so many 993s
Old 11-09-2003, 09:39 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

John - Nice write up! We're sorry you couldn't make the run, either, on this brisk, clear day. The drive to Annapolis was clogged with Redskins/SOP-for-DC traffic so there was limited opportunity for speed shenanigans, although the police(?) chopper that did a U-turn in the sky as we caravaned on US 50 gave us, um, pause.

A big thanks to Steve for his time, organization (I was impressed with the direction hand-outs he made for us), and for choosing a superb restaurant with a diet-busting buffet. I think I had the equivalent of seven eggs this afternoon.

Also, as John said, it was great to put faces to names. Rezal made the trek all the way from Philly in his guards red coupe, IMVHO, probably the most eye-catching of the group and the most likely reason the chopper did a 180. He and I had fun poring over a 964 he was looking at for a friend. PeterF showed up in his recently acquired silver 993. Skip/swftiii and his dad looked like they were having a great time talking nothing but cars.

Cherner had an interesting array of vehicles, from a blue Viper to a red Ferrari Mondial cab (think Madonna video in the '80's) to a red 911 slant nose cab (think Miami Vice in the 80's) to a cool blue GT350 Mustang. Other notable cars were a black 356 coupe, a red "1962" Shelby 427 Cobra, a super sleek silver "1968" (cost? $83,000) Ford GT40 and a light blue Mercedes convertible from the '50's. I might want to swing by when they're open to really check out the cars that were behind the glass.

At the parking lot to Carrol's Creek, there was a cool car from the '60's that caught everyone's eye. Can anyone guess what brand and model it is?

I consider myself incredibly lucky to have a Porsche, let alone a 993, and to have met some very cool and enthusiastic people! We need to do it again in the spring.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 11-10-2003 at 02:36 AM.
Old 11-09-2003, 09:44 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Skip and daddy-o with Rezal behind them.
Attached Images  
Old 11-09-2003, 09:45 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

At Carroll's Creek restaurant
Attached Images  
Old 11-09-2003, 09:48 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Mark, Looks like you guys did have fun!! Now I really feel bad not making it specially when you mentioned that guy who drove all the way from Phily. Maybe next run, I'll do my darm best to be there.

I know you guys started at 10, what time did you call it the day?
Is John refering to your 993's exhaust "spine tingling" sound? what do you have?
Old 11-09-2003, 10:17 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Mike,

Yeah, you missed a good time. Maybe you can make the next one?

I believe we finished up at around 2:30-3:00.

I currently have Supercups with no baffling. They sound kick-***! I'm really surprised at how streetable they are, at least in the car. Yes, there's a resonance from 2800-3000 rpms but I've learned to up or down shift around it. I can't attest to how loud they are outside of the car, although Skip said, absent his own engine sound, he forgot to shift while he was following me.
Old 11-09-2003, 11:04 PM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool pics. Mark, I concur with your thoughts on the Supercups. That sounds is oh sooo sweet; I hate rolling up the windows.
Old 11-09-2003, 11:10 PM
Luis A.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts

What!! Not *one* Speed Yellow car?!?!

Old 11-09-2003, 11:24 PM
Lawn Gnome
Racer

The emblem on the front of the car in the parking lot said astin martin. I checked!!
Old 11-09-2003, 11:46 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

Thanks for the pics everyone! Great memories of a gorgeous fall day. I think at the end of the day we'd all admit that the highlights of the day weren't the cars, but the relationships we make BECAUSE of our cars... (Ok - the cars themselves come in a very close 2nd!)

Not only was it cool putting a face with a name from Rennlist, but the things you learn about each other's lives, the places we respectively live, the commonalities and differences in our career paths and leisure activities - this for me makes it all the more compelling. If Dr Porsche could have seen us out there gawking over each other's P-cars - he would have had a good laugh

The car highlight of the day for me was that light blue Mercedes convertible at Cherner Classics with the blue interior. I'm always a sucker for a perfectly restored classic old MB ragtop from late 50's - just superb, and only $31k. Oh - if I ONLY had a 4 car garage.

Thanks Tony for the ride to and from Annapolis in your awesome Cobalt Blue 944 S-2. For some reason at the last moment I had the desire this morning to simply be a passenger in someone elses car rather than trudge out to Annapolis "solo" in my own car, and it turned out to be a unique experience. Great company, plus I learned alot about a rare car I wasn't too familiar with before today.

Like I was telling Tony - when I first bought a 911 6 years ago (my 88 Carrera), I never had an interest in going to any PCA or other Porsche events as I figured I wouldn't have anything to talk about with all those Porsche millionaires! It wasn't till I went to my first Driver's Ed that I realized that there were plenty of guy's just like me out there that kind of scraped by enough to afford our cars, but we weren't exactly "rolling in it". You certainly don't have to be "rich" to own a Porsche these day! That you can buy a pristine 95 993 for around $30-33k (same price as a Maxima) is proof that they are definitely the affordable and fun extra car.

Can't wait till next Spring for our next Meet and Drive.
Thanks everyone for turning out, and I too wished I had more time to talk to some of you guys one on one.

Steve
Old 11-09-2003, 11:54 PM
wht993cabrio
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Guys,

Many thanks to Steve for putting together the event. I really enjoyed meeting all the folks and putting faces to the names on the board. I had my 12yr old son (Damani) with me and he got a real charge out of seeing all the p-cars. On the drive over to Annapolis...as I was trying to keep up with Mark (who was only doing 70 )...Damani looked over at the speedometer, smiled and said "Mom doesn't have to know about this." Damn skippy...I'm basically dead if she does.

John & Mike...loved those TTs.

I look forward to the next get together!
Old 11-09-2003, 11:55 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Ok i got a few pictures for ya...

Old 11-09-2003, 11:57 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

With so many 993s in a line, you would think they are common!

Quick Reply: DC/MD/NoVA Rennlist gathering today w/pics