Sponsored by:

RSR mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 04:41 PM
Sutton
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RSR mufflers

I've seen the clips on youtube and the mufflers do add a different dimension to the 993's soundtrack. I like it as the standard exhaust note is a little tame.

Is anyone able to shed some light on:

1. Whether there is any benefit to engine response from the more free-flowing boxes.

2. The weight difference between the RSR and standard muffflers.

Thanks
Old 02-22-2017, 04:52 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Sutton
I've seen the clips on youtube and the mufflers do add a different dimension to the 993's soundtrack. I like it as the standard exhaust note is a little tame.

Is anyone able to shed some light on:

1. Whether there is any benefit to engine response from the more free-flowing boxes.

2. The weight difference between the RSR and standard muffflers.

Thanks
1. In general, yes.
2. search, there are documented weights for all types of 993 muffler variants.
FWIW I think the lightest muffler is Fister III. the difference isn't significant for most of us to tell, and on a street car, it won't make any discernible difference, so I wouldn't worry too much about the weight of the mufflers, and get the sound that meets your (and your neighbors) desire/tolerance

I can only speak for my personal experiences, which is with OEM and 200cell cats. I have factory motor sound mufflers. There is a noticeable difference between OEM cats (100K miles) and 200 cell cats (new) particularly at the higher RPMS, 5500 and up. Where my car would gradually climb to redline, with free flow exhaust, it gets there quickly.

Note, I also have RS cams and a flashed ECU, however I did swapping with all that in place, and only changing the cats.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:22 PM
Holytin
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

I had RSR's for a couple of years and liked the sound as an improvement over stock exhaust. But - after I found out that there are Fister's available I was hooked. Sold the RSR's and got some Fister II's and to me, that's the best exhaust sound ever utilizing stock cats. Tested a Fabspeed X-pipe with sport cats over the weekend and the exhaust note sound was getting just obnoxious. Lots of opinions out there concerning this subject...

Best thing to do is find somebody with an upgraded exhaust system and listen, then buy. Lot's of videos on YouTube but you really need to hear it person.

Best!
Old 02-22-2017, 08:01 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 408 Posts

Here's a video comparing RSR's to the Fister III's. I liked the RSR's, but the Fister III's take it all to another dimension, and without the drone that the RSR's displayed at high revs.

P.S., I don't think there is any increase in HP (buy the Fabspeed Sportcats if that's your goal). As for weight, stock mufflers weigh about 18 lbs., RSR's weight about 12 lbs., and Fister III's weigh about 10 lbs. each.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:50 PM
phoneyman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

^and I just fell in love with my Fister III's all over again. You almost get used to them until you hear stock or other mufflers.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:08 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

get fister II's.

you can drive them quiet and be civilized so you dont sound like an a******, or you can open it up and listen to them.

Last edited by EMBPilot; 02-23-2017 at 08:22 AM.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:23 PM
rrc715
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 84 Posts

I went from RSRs to Fister IIIs. I think Fister IIs or IIIs are definitely worth the money. It just depends on what you like as far as sound. As stated above there are lots of opinions so I would also suggest finding someone with the set up so you can hear them to make an educated decision.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:24 PM
David993S
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 103 Posts

I had RSR's on my 993 for several years.......until I switched to Fister II's. RSR's are just "OK" in my opinion. They are a slight improvement, sound-wise, over stock but not worth the $ or effort when compared to FD's. There is a much improved sound with the Fisters, and you can't beat Darin's customer service and support. You can't go wrong with II's, and if you then decide you want louder, Darin will accommodate you.

Regarding performance, I would question those who say there is a performance improvement with RSR's (or Fister's, for that matter). Granted they are more free-flowing, but it's not sufficient to increase HP or throttle response when running stock intakes. stock headers and cats. They just make a 993 sound like it should.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:25 PM
EMBPilot
Banned

you really have to hear them locally, youtube is completely useless
Old 02-23-2017, 01:45 AM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxman
Here's a video comparing RSR's to the Fister III's. I liked the RSR's, but the Fister III's take it all to another dimension, and without the drone that the RSR's displayed at high revs. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JmC7qdOuZOI

P.S., I don't think there is any increase in HP (buy the Fabspeed Sportcats if that's your goal). As for weight, stock mufflers weigh about 18 lbs., RSR's weight about 12 lbs., and Fister III's weigh about 10 lbs. each.
Holy smoke! The white smoke is really something! My 993 never ever smoke!
Old 02-23-2017, 02:54 AM
Greg Bell
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

I've had the RSR's on for over 10 years, couldn't be happier, not too loud so as to annoy the neighbours but sound good at high revs. Also a nice rumble idle with a good crackle and pop on over run when cold. And I might add I've never had a problem with resonance. I guess it is a personal thing, I like to travel under the radar.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:38 AM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Railmaster.
Holy smoke! The white smoke is really something! My 993 never ever smoke!
Most likely that was condensation due to cold air temp, not smoke.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:06 AM
Sutton
Advanced

Thanks Guys.

There's a significant sound difference between the RSR and Fisters. I'm already running 200 cell cats which sound wonderful but also increase the volume somewhat, so I want to keep the neighbours on side! I'll let you know what I decide to do.

I was also trying to understand if there were any other benefits or downsides. I wasn’t chasing hp as that's not usually a benefit from a muffler mod. Taking 10+lb out from the extreme rear of the car does appeal.
Kika - I like your RS camshaft mod. My engine is totally stock.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:24 AM
EMBPilot
Banned

Did you read my sport cat thread? I talked to Darin at FD about this as well as several other sport cat users. The consensus seemed to be that if you have sport cats + stage II will sound like stage III. RSR and stage I seem to be the sweet spot, sounding more like stage II when paired with sport cats.

Last edited by EMBPilot; 02-23-2017 at 08:52 AM.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:49 AM
Sutton
Advanced

Hi EMB,

I must have missed your post about the comparison between various setups so thanks for the heads up. I did see your other conversations and preference for the Fister 2. I think some UK guys now have Fisters so I'll try to hook up with them.

Regards

Quick Reply: RSR mufflers