993 Forum 1995-1998

cab roof tear

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 12:20 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Fluid - that second pic looks like normal wear, very similar to mine as well. I have a grey top as well and I even have the white horizontal lines you pic shows.

The pins make a puncture further forward.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:22 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by fbfisher

To avoid this - when lowering your top simply push the bar back manually to make sure the top folds properly.

Hope this is clear.
Hey Fred, thanks for the tip. I usually get out of my car to push the canvas out of the way of the pins on both sides before lowering the top all the way down. I'll try your way next time, didn't know about the bar until you told me.
Old 12-03-2003, 03:08 PM
salty1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This happened to my top as well. The previous thread does say the elastic strips can fail/break/rip lose etc which stops the tops material from folding down properly and eventually gets in the way of the pins. If you guys are diy'ers you can with a heavy duty sewing needle and some thread reattach a new piece of similar elastic material purchased most anywhere back where the old one was located. Or while still seated in the drivers seat, and just before the top completes its retraction, about a foot, you can reach around without getting out of the car and just push the mostly folded material out of the way. Then finnish putting the top down once both sides of the top material are pushed out the way. It really is easy to do it while seated in the drivers seat. Hope this helps!! and might just save $1,400 or more. Anyway who rides with the top up!! Just kidding!!

Quick Reply: cab roof tear