Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cross post: 993TT vs F355

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2003 | 09:36 AM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Default Cross post: 993TT vs F355

I posted on the turbo forum but there are more people on the 993 board so I will ask here as well.
My brother is thinking of buying a 993TT or F355 GTB. Has anyone owned or driven both and what is your opinion. What are the good and bad points for each car?

Thanks.

Harry
Old 11-08-2003 | 10:07 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

one of the big car magazines pitted these two cars against each other when they came out. The 993tt out accelerated, out braked and out cornered the Ferrari. I seem to remember that it was a lot cheaper too (not to mention cheaper to run!). Then again, some people are more concerned with image/looks. I'll see if I can find a link to the article somewhere.
Old 11-08-2003 | 10:12 AM
RS man
Rennlist Member

That will be great Graham. You have to admit that 355 does look dramatic.

Harry
Old 11-08-2003 | 01:05 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Two guys in LA used to have a website about their efforts to keep two F355s on the road as daily drivers. It was kind of a diary. I can't find the site, does anyone have the link? It was pretty amazing how much time their cars spent in the shop. As I recall, they were pretty jazzed when when one of the cars actually ran for 30 days without needing a visit to the dealer.

Greg H.
Old 11-08-2003 | 01:20 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

F355 is more fun to drive, listen to, and to look at (IMHO), but I would never buy one based on the high cost of maintenance. IMHO, the only way to buy a Ferrari is to get on the waiting list for a brand new one (they don't charge more than MSRP that way) and then you have a 3yr warranty. At the end of the 3 yrs, you'll most likely get alomost the entire purchase price back when you sell it (like the F360). So, your only cost of ownership is tax, insurance, and routine maintenance (don't think this is covered by the warranty).

Porsches are much more reliable and reasonable to maintain (and usually faster at the track too), but I love the F-cars for all the intangibles!
Old 11-08-2003 | 04:06 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Greg H.
Two guys in LA used to have a website about their efforts to keep two F355s on the road as daily drivers. It was kind of a diary. I can't find the site, does anyone have the link? It was pretty amazing how much time their cars spent in the shop. As I recall, they were pretty jazzed when when one of the cars actually ran for 30 days without needing a visit to the dealer.
http://www.nsxfiles.com/stories.htm
Old 11-08-2003 | 05:06 PM
James Herne
Instructor

Harry, please don't forget - Porsche and Ferrari are absolutely different cars and they are not comparable (OK I know they are compared very often, but...).
Porsche is a everyday car for serious people, Ferrari is a weekend car for show-offs.
Porsche is a quality car. Ferrari's name is much higher than the quality and performance. I mean Ferrari's performance is OK, but there is nothing so special.

And... from 993TT you get quite easily the power of Carrera GT or Enzo if you wish so.
Old 11-08-2003 | 05:07 PM
James Herne
Instructor

Harry, please tell your brother to taste both cars. Which he likes best, is best for him.
Old 11-08-2003 | 05:11 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Harry,

I'd advise your brother to drive both. Before buying the 993TT, I test drove a Ferrari 456GT, 355, and a 360 F1. I was planning to put down a deposit on the 360 (and wait two years to take possession) until I drove the 993TT.

The 993TT was not only faster and more fun, but as many have suggested, much more practical in the short and long run. Plus, it's just as beautiful, to my eyes, at least. The 355 interior, in particular, looks a bit kit-car-ish to me.

One last point: There were at least two items broken or not working on every Ferrari I drove, even though they were brand new models - or used examples - for sale at Miller Motorcars in CT (David Letterman's dealership) and Ferrari of Atlanta. Examples included malfunctioning electronics, a delaminating rear window, peeling engine paint, and leaking shocks on the 456, and a broken driver's seat on the 360 that kept coming loose and flying backwards on acceleration. The salesman said that the dealer had tried to fix the seat four times without success. Some of you may have read about a new Enzo that broke down in the middle of New York City during a recent Autocar test. Pretty confidence inspiring, aye?

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE Ferraris, but I'd only get one if I had more money than I knew what to do with.

Good luck.

Last edited by Anir; 11-08-2003 at 06:21 PM.
Old 11-08-2003 | 05:44 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the feedback guys!
My thoughts exactly regarding Ferrari and reliabitiy. My brother has been obtaining lots of info on 355 and it has been said that they are reliable (I guess by Ferrari standards) motors but then he went on to say that there appears to be a weak spot somewhere where the roof buttress (if that is what it is called) meets the rear deck develops a stress fracture!!! (does anyone know more about this?) I know what I would buy for my hard-earned cash.

Harry
Old 11-08-2003 | 06:15 PM
James Herne
Instructor

Originally posted by RS man
by Ferrari standards
;-)))
Old 11-08-2003 | 10:41 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Originally posted by Greg H.

Greg H.

This is a great link:

http://www.nsxfiles.com/f355_update.htm
Old 11-09-2003 | 06:32 AM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I read that article and I have to say I would be p***ed off with the car being so unreliable. I have to say they are a very tolerant bunch with lots of money to burn.

Harry
Old 11-09-2003 | 06:52 AM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Decision has been made and since the 993TT was sold it made the decision somewhat easier. My brother is an owner of a Yellow F355.

Cheers guys.

Harry
Old 11-09-2003 | 08:50 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Harry, I know I'm late for this post, but just to qoute the master mechanic at the local shop here in VA Beach, "We've seen all the Ferraris in town for major problems that are too early for their mileage".

Quick Reply: Cross post: 993TT vs F355