Windscreen Squeak

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2002, 12:28 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Rohan Nath:
<strong>Can you provide information on how/where to get Pedro's ice wax? Do you know if it is more or less intrusive than the silicone rope solution?

After many years of ownership my windshield has started creaking over the last couple of months and it is driving me nuts. Between the ice wax and the silicone rope I want to resolve it ASAP.</strong><hr></blockquote>

here's the link to <a href="http://www.pedros.com/producticewax.html" target="_blank">Pedro's Ice Wax</a>

I ordered it on-line (the spray is easier), it took few days. Like I said, application takes only about 5-10 minutes!

I don't know how it compares to the rope but I'd quess the rope 'lasts' longer, although it should be lubricated also.

This ice wax is basically just a bicycle chain lube (should be something special though), so I think any chaing lube (or any lube) would work.

I think best would be motocross bike chain lube, they last really long.

Another good thing is that these prevent rust too.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:45 PM
Don Magee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am off to pick up the rope and I think I'll try the 3M Silicone spray. Where do you get the 3M spray?
Old 05-24-2010, 03:08 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got mine at a motorcycle shop; it was a synthetic chain oil. sprayed it under the rubber "seal" about 2 years ago and it has not squeaked since. I did not do the rope thing.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:15 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 791 Likes on 426 Posts

Holy ancient thread Batman!

The funny thing is that I am thinking of doing the rope treatment too. I've used Ice Wax in the past but it only worked for a few months and I'm willing to give this a shot.

Thanks for the resurrection!
Old 05-25-2010, 12:10 PM
Don Magee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just to add an additional data point, I did the rope fix last night. I decided to hold off adding the silicone spray so I could judge the effectiveness of the rope alone. It worked great. No creaking. In the past, Pedros worked for about 2 weeks then the noise would return. Perhaps the rope trick will last longer. I'll try to remember to report back if it returns.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:00 PM
jhubs
Racer

My new windshield started squeaking the week after it was installed last July.
Does anyone have information regarding how the rope or sprays affect the installation of a new windshield? Any known problems!
I am going on my 3rd windshield in 3 years and IF all this silicone, rope and wax prevents a proper seal of a new new windshield I would like to know before I call for the third windshield to be installed next month.
Thanks!
Old 05-26-2010, 06:51 PM
Don Magee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jerry, to my limited knowledge, the rope has no adverse effect on the windshield or the seal. The sprays can leak out and cause a bit of a mess if too much is applied, but it is a minor mess.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:54 AM
PaulWood
Advanced

Did the cell "rope" thing this morning and took my 993 for a quick spin. So far, no noise from the dash area (windshield). I used some silicone spray to lubricate the space under the rubber weather stripping and the rope slid in quite easily. Added two extra lengths under the windshield and one extra at the top. The weather stripping still made tight contact with the body - no gaps or bumps. Project, including clean up and quick spin, took no more than an hour. Thanks to all the contributors of this thread for such helpful advice.

The rope (996 541 903 00) cost me $22 at my friendly Porsche dealer. They had to order it in, but it only took a couple of days.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:02 PM
diet97993
Rennlist Member

Just did the rope & silicone trick Friday. Job was fast and clean and no more windshield squeak.....Thank God.

Cheers!
Old 06-27-2010, 07:41 PM
user 70801213
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my windshield/dash is making a noise just right of the wiper mounts, above the dash vents. Started this week in hot weather. Only had the car a week. Is this the noise that is so common? sounds like a "creak" not so much of a squeek, but I only hear at slower speeds. 15-30mph. my car has a newer windshield with about 3000 miles since and no rope.

can some one show a picture of this "rope" and how it gets installed?

is there a DIY?

thanks
Old 06-27-2010, 08:22 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

perhaps reading this thread will make things clear.

really not much to it.

locate windshield weatherstripping. Lift weatherstripping off body, insert rope in gap, drop weatherstripping.

Quick Reply: Windscreen Squeak