Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I can't find an oxygen sensor DIY replacement. Anyone???

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 04:13 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I can't find an oxygen sensor DIY replacement. Anyone???

I am looking to change my 2 pre-cat O2 sensors. I checked the archives and p-car.com I can't find a DIY on this. Are both pre cat O2 sensors under the AC compressor? I'm am trying to get rid of a lumpy idle. Did the ISV, new plugs and wires. It seems like I idle around 750, with the defrost on its closer to 800 and very smooth. My AC compressor seized so if I have to remove that to get to the O2 sensors how do I go about leaving the compressor out and not reinstall? Do I have to plug any hoses or anything. The belt has already been removed on it. TIA

Chris Desrochers
Old 06-27-2010, 10:05 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

C'mon 42 views, no one knows hot to change the pre cat oxygen sensors?? I just need to know where they are, I'll figure out the rest.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:22 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just get under the rear of the car, they're the pre-cat O2 sensors -- they're, uh, plugged in upstream of the cat. On each side of the engine bay there are electrical plugs for the cats (two on each side). Unbolt the sensors, trace the wires up through the grommets in the engine tin, loosen the grommets, unplug the connectors in the engine bay, and remove O2 sensors. Very, very easy job.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:39 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 560 Likes on 353 Posts

I guess I'm wondering why you think the O2 sensor is the culprit...Do you have any information/codes indicating they are faulty? Or are you just "hanging parts" in hope of finding a cure?

With regard to your defrost function evening out the idle, it may be that the defrost function is calling for the AC (does defrost automatically activate AC in these cars?) which in turn calls for the ignition to be advanced slightly to increase idle speed in order to compensate for the extra load the AC compressor puts on the engine. Even if your AC isn't working, it would still advance the ignition and speed up the idle slightly.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:45 PM
cpdjfd107
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TMc993
I guess I'm wondering why you think the O2 sensor is the culprit...Do you have any information/codes indicating they are faulty? Or are you just "hanging parts" in hope of finding a cure?

With regard to your defrost function evening out the idle, it may be that the defrost function is calling for the AC (does defrost automatically activate AC in these cars?) which in turn calls for the ignition to be advanced slightly to increase idle speed in order to compensate for the extra load the AC compressor puts on the engine. Even if your AC isn't working, it would still advance the ignition and speed up the idle slightly.
Yes this is what is happening , the ecu realizes the AC is on and compensates by bringing up the idle a little. I was throwing some misfire codes, p car dealer showed me a frayed plug wire. I replaced the wires (they were the original) and still have lumpy or low idle. Right now Im just chasing. I figure the O2 sensors are 16 years old anyways can't hurt to change them.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:59 PM
johnsjmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should have the AC professionally emptied . If it is still filled with gas it is illegal to just vent it into the atmospere and can be dangerous if done by an amateur. The O2 sensors are easy .They may be tight so be sure you use a good fitting box wrench or socket. If you round them off you have a bigger problem

Quick Reply: I can't find an oxygen sensor DIY replacement. Anyone???