Sponsored by:

Moton Installed

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003 | 02:05 PM
PramTT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Moton Installed

Finally got done with installing the Moton clubsport on the 993TT. Mark at Hergesheimer did the install, alignment, corner balancing and whatever custom fabrications needed for the install.

My suspension set-up was ROW spring with stock shocks. Mileage of the car was close to 30k. Shocks are getting loose so the ride was firm but getting harsher and harsher as the shocks looses its damping ability.

The Motons on my car uses 400lb fr and 600lb rr springs (plus tender springs) with smart racing bearings on the front spring to minimize potential spring noise.

Below are some pics.

Note that the Moton were installed not with the top rear spring hat as supplied with the kit but using using custom spring adapter similar to the ones used by the current PSS9. Mark (Hergesheimer) supplied those.

Notice on the picture that the unloaded front suspension (with Moton installed) have very small amount of droop. It actually look like my car as it was delivered originally under load (US stock height). I cannot mantain my previous ROW height (about 26.5inch: ground to inner fender). Currently with the Moton they are about 25.5inch.

Front cans are mounted on the strut bar while the rear cans are mounted on the rear suspension subframe (instead of inside the engine compartment) for ease of access.

So far on the way to work which include hwy, surface street and bumpy roads, the ride is definitely firmer but not harsh. My previous set-up was less firm but harsher (most probably due to worn shocks). Cornering is flat . flat . flat. Cars is going fast speedometer wise but does not feel fast from the driver seat. Note: Moton are currently set to position 4 (1 being soft and 7 hard) on the rebound and position 3 on the compression (both fr and rr).

I'll try with more info as I get more seat time in the car
Attached Images  

Last edited by PramTT; 11-08-2003 at 08:28 PM.
Old 11-07-2003 | 02:35 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Looks great Pram....

I just got my pss-9's too. The car has been is a lot better. I can only imagine how the motons feel.

.... Must resist... must resist....
Old 11-07-2003 | 02:38 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

You beat me by a day on the pics. I just installed them also on my TT. I went with 800 lb front springs and 1000 lb rears. I elected to install the rear reservoirs in the interior connected to my roll bar. I also installed the Smart Racing thrust wahers on the front. One concern I would have with your setup is the lack of collar now on your front spring perch.

This lip is designed to keep the spring in place and is rather short. Adding these to the perch and all of a sudden your spring has no lip left to keep it centered around the strut. So I acquired some perches (also from Smart Racing) that have a longer lip so this does not happen.

So here is a standard perch (Moton Orange of course)

Now here is a picture with the thrust washers and the bearing installed. Notice how there is NO room left to hold the spring centered.

Now with the new perch. This will work very nicely.

I'll be testing mine out at Infineon on Sunday and Thunderhill on Monday.. Take care..
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Pram, I saw your car on the lift at Hergies the other day, while I was getting my car aligned. What a car you have!!

Enjoy the ride..
PramTT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default More pics

Here are the pics:
Attached Images  
Old 11-07-2003 | 02:47 PM
PramTT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Moton Installed

"Must resist. . . must resist"

Jeff, may the power be with you

Mark, thanks.

Bob, I do not think the spring is going anywhere with even the smaller lip and the pressure of the tender spring but hey that perch looks good. Be careful Bob, you are adding unsprung weight
Old 11-07-2003 | 02:50 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Nice set up Pram.
Old 11-07-2003 | 02:54 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

It is just something I wanted to mention Pram as I went through the same issues.

I also could not get my suspension that high. At 25 1/4", I only had a 1/4" of suspension travel in the front. I had to go with 25" front and 24 5/8" rear. I spoke to Lex at Moton as he was traveling to a Viper event. There may be a rebound block built into the shock that may need to be removed to give proper suspension travel. These shocks were built more for track cars with an anticipated lowering of 2-3"s from stock. We'll see how they do on the track, and go from there....

your car looks great...
Old 11-07-2003 | 02:58 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Pram, What are those stripes I see on your wheels? I've never seen this before.
Old 11-07-2003 | 02:58 PM
Randy M '96 Silver 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Car looks great.

What are you going to do with the ROW Springs? I would be interested if you are going to part with them !
Old 11-07-2003 | 03:48 PM
PramTT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Phil, thanks. Saw you car also at Hergie. Nice.

Randy M and Randy M

The stripes are just stickers I got from somebody.

I have not decided yet on what to do with the springs. I'l let you know if I decide to sell them.

Bob, keep us informed wrt the "rebound block", if there is any truth in that

Last edited by PramTT; 11-07-2003 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-07-2003 | 05:48 PM
Randy M '96 Silver 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Pram, let me know when you decide. I am planning on the M030 upgrade early next year, and if I could get a head start, that would be great!!

BTW, Since you were at Hergesheimer, that means you are probably down south. A couple of us are going to caravan to the Malibu Run from Mission Viejo if you were interested in going!!
Old 11-07-2003 | 07:02 PM
PramTT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Randy, I allready planned to ride to Lake Castaic on Sunday
Old 11-07-2003 | 07:31 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Geez, it just never stops at this place, does it?

Nice set up.

Resistance comes from my wallet.
Old 11-07-2003 | 08:50 PM
KRA993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pramm

The car looks great. Look forward to hearing more of your driving impressions.

Bob

Any pictures of your install? I'm just looking for options. Good luck at the track.

Quick Reply: Moton Installed