Front ride height diff.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 03:44 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Front ride height diff.

For some reason my driver's side front is 1/4" lower than my passenger side. I've measured both at the control arm and the fender. The spring perch on the passenger side is all the way down, and adjusting the driver side doesn't seem to have any effect.

Are springs typically slightly off like that? Any other ideas?

Also, there is a big difference in ride and handling between gas empty and gas full. I've been told there shouldn't be any real noticeable difference, but there definitely is. My alignment was done (RS specs) at only 1/4 full, so I'm thinking this is the cause. As the suspension compresses, does toe-out and increased camber result?

Thanks!
Old 11-10-2003, 12:40 AM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Troy,

The only way to know is to have a corner balance done at a reputable shop. There is enough tolerance so that 1/4 inch is not outside of reason... but the corner balance is the true check.

As far as empty vs. full differences... I can tell the difference. When on the track 3/4 full is the best for me and my car. I need more weight in the front (and less in the rear) so having some weight due to fuel load works. I haven't addressed less weight in the rear yet.
Old 11-10-2003, 08:27 AM
maurice97C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Front ride height diff.

Originally posted by TroyN
The spring perch on the passenger side is all the way down, and adjusting the driver side doesn't seem to have any effect.
Troy, it must be having some effect, assuming you are screwing in the right direction (up) - but beware, every time you move this you are altering your corner weights and alignment settings - not something to do blind IMHO.

Cheers, Maurice
Old 11-10-2003, 03:13 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had corner weights checked previously and they would correspond to the driver's side front being low, it was showing a difference just on the outside of the tolerable difference (I forget what that was, 40 or 50 pounds maybe?).

Can you verify which way to screw the perches to alter the height? I thought screwing them upwards would raise the car and vice versa. I do plan on having corner weight and alignment checked after I get the ride height evened out, assuming I can.

As to alignments, I'd heard different opinions on whether to do them with the gas tank full or not, but I am coming to the conclusion that doing it full or 3/4 is better. I had my alignment at 1/4 tank and that's where it does best. When 3/4 or full, the car tends to oversteer and the steering becomes harder (more effort). I suspect it's because as the suspension compresses, the negative camber increases; anyone know whether this is true? Anyone know what happens to toe as suspension compresses?

Thanks for the help!
Old 11-10-2003, 04:04 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally posted by TroyN
...as the suspension compresses, the negative camber increases; anyone know whether this is true? Anyone know what happens to toe as suspension compresses?
Yes to the first question.

The car will increase toe setting as the suspension compresses.
Old 11-10-2003, 05:29 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Greg. Forgive my ignorance if that is standard usage, but when you say toe increases, do you mean toe-in or toe-out?
Old 11-10-2003, 07:08 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I guess it depends on where you start! It should increase the toe in or decrease the amount of toe out, depending on the static measurement.
Old 11-10-2003, 08:44 PM
porscheralph
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

Here's my input - had my 993 converted to M030 with Bilstein's and ROW sway bars - then corner balanced and aligned. Had the same issue - front ride height was 1/4 inch different then the other - done with full tank. The driver side was higher. Unless you are an expert and have the tools I'd suggest you leave it to the pro's to get the corner balance, ride height and allignment done.
Old 11-10-2003, 08:47 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drivers side is typically higher when parked due to the lack of weight from a driver. When you sit down, the two sides should be fairly close.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:58 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 352 Posts
Talking Ride Height

You live in San Diego, take the car over to the boys at Mind Over Motorsports in Mira Mesa and have them put the car on the scales as well as and measure the ride height. They have set up my car....I am very satisfied as a a number of other San Diego folks.
Old 11-11-2003, 12:42 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Martin, I've been using them regularly for the past several months, I wanted to know what to ask for before I brought it in again. They actually didn't want to do a corner balance because I don't have adjustable shocks all around, just the normal, small adjustment on the M030s, so I was wanting to do that myself (ride height at least) before bringing it in for an alignment check.
Old 11-24-2003, 03:13 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 352 Posts

Troy,

You are in good hands at Mind Over Motorsports. Their shop is 15 minutes from my house, this is good.

Quick Reply: Front ride height diff.