Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LWF on a '95: yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003 | 03:43 PM
Nol, 95 993 C4
Racer

Cool LWF on a '95: yes or no?

I am considering the Factory RS Lightweight flywheel and clutch package for my '95 C4. I have read most threads on it in the last 3 years and browsed the archive just now. On the up-side there's the glowing reviews, and how lucky I am to have the G64/21 gears. The main down-side is the stalling problems on the earlier cars, I think I can handle the rattle, so here goes:

Has anyone with a '95 done the conversion and after trying all the fixes regretted it because of the stalling issue? There's probably a small minority of P-car owners interested in an RS LWF in the first place and I wonder if any of them would advise not to with the benefit of hindsight.

TIA, and enjoy

Nol

PS Interestingly the complete RS package is less expensive compared to the stock set-up. Mostly because the MSRP for The DMF is a cool 1000$. There it is, my first mod to save $$.

PS2 I initally queried about the ISV adjustment thread and then found it in the FAQ admin post.

Last edited by Nol, 95 993 C4; 11-06-2003 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-06-2003 | 04:18 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Default Re: LWF on a '95: yes or no?

Originally posted by Nol, 95 993 C4

PS Interestingly the complete RS package is less expensive compared to the stock set-up. Mostly because the MSRP for The DMF is a cool 1000$. There it is, my first mod to save $$.
I like your thinking! A great way to save money

I too have wanted to ask others with OBD1 cars about stalling issues. I am sure Steve Weiner will chime in here as he is a great resource re: these issues.

There is the Andial version which is the RS f/w with some weight added back in. Not sure how much? How much lighter is the RS f/w vs. the dual mass, or factory installed one?
Old 11-06-2003 | 04:30 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Re: Re: LWF on a '95: yes or no?

Originally posted by chris walrod

There is the Andial version which is the RS f/w with some weight added back in.
I Paid $1850 for the Andial Midwight flywheel and RS clutch combo. Very nice improvement over stock and no stalling on my 95 whatsoever. I did not clean up the ISV valve either...
Highly recommended mod after the G50/21 box conversion...
Old 11-06-2003 | 04:32 PM
djmc
Advanced

Did the lwf install to my car about a month ago no stalling
I did have stalling problems once with the old flywheel and solved it by
removing the hard plastic putty covering the 3 allen key bolts on the back of the back of the ISV valve with a small pointy screw driver
loosen the 3 small bolts or screws wit the right size allen key and while
holding the ISV valve turn the back part a very slight bit and then tighten
up the 3 screws again
I cant remember which dircetion is which but I did this final part with the ISV valve back on the car and the car running so I could hear the car rev up or die down as I adjusted it dont adjust it up two much mine idles around 1000 rpm
On the LWF note the car revs up a lot quicker and seems faster through the gears
Old 11-06-2003 | 04:34 PM
Nol, 95 993 C4
Racer

Hi Chris, The Andial "M"WF is not on my list I'm shopping with my local importer/dealer for this. Warranty is one issue and their price is fair.

BTW I found the thread on ISV adjustment.... in the FAQ admin thread on top of the board . I'll erase that query in an edit.

Enjoy

Nol
Old 11-06-2003 | 04:37 PM
djmc
Advanced

Damit I wrote all that for nothing
Old 11-06-2003 | 04:46 PM
Nol, 95 993 C4
Racer

DJMC Thanks for your effort, I really appreciate you trying to help. My posts on this thread seem to cross with several contributions. And you are yet another LWF convert if I read between the lines. I wonder if we'll get any posts with regrets.

Enjoy

Nol
Old 11-06-2003 | 06:16 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've had the LWF for about 1.8 years. I did have some regrets initially due to stalling (and complaining from my wife). I did the ISV fix posted and have had next to no issues since. I do not regret the change (I also have shorter gearing). It makes for a car that's great fun to drive.

You turn the ISV counter-clockwise. Don't forget to mark the starting point so you can return there if you have any issues.

Nol, feel free to PM me or send an email if you have ore questions or want to discuss it off-line.
Old 11-08-2003 | 03:12 PM
Nol, 95 993 C4
Racer

Thanks Tom, I sent you a PM. It appears that most LWF converts are happy also with the benefit of hindsight. I also remember reading something like

"... the benefits of the LWF though worthwile are small compared to the impact of the gearing".

Since I have the G64/21 gears already I wonder if I am not just on the slippery slope for the sake of it, "I must resist" right? or "resistance is futile" I did end up with PSS-9s also Choices choices...
Meanwhile my car is up the lift with the engine out, can't stay undecided for much longer.

Enjoy

Nol

Quick Reply: LWF on a '95: yes or no?