Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

LED High beam mod.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 10:53 PM
palladio
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

I just completed this installation. Thank you flyingchappy for the excellent instructions!

I accidentally ordered the wrong kind of tamper proof bit to remove that one bolt. My kit had a TS20 bit that looks nearly identical but didn't quite fit. I was able to remove the bolt, but just barely. The PL20 bit is the tool really needed to do this properly. I used a small vice to hold the plastic bracket, and a Dremel hand drill with a #194 1/8" high speed cutter bit to modify it. That was an easy 10 min job, thanks to the photos flyingchappy posted showing the shape to cut out.

A few other thoughts on the installation. The white plastic bracket was a tight fit on my car. After removing all three screws I had to give it a pretty solid tug to get it out. I was a bit worried something else was holding it and I might break it, but it was just the tension provided by the red bumper thingie that sits under the lobe/torx screw at the top. The hardest part of the installation IMO is sliding the new light into place while getting the spring retainer clip into proper position under the fan to hold down the bulb. There's not much room in the enclosure to get your hands in to maneuver the whole unit and some care was needed so as not to damage the LED/bulb base while sliding it in. I ended up using an 8" long locking hemostat with a curved tip. They can be had for under $10 on Amazon and I highly recommend one, especially with the curved tip, for working in tight spaces on the 993. It's saved me several times when dropping something in the engine bay that I couldn't pick up with a grabber, and it is also great for removing the clips that hold in the front hood and rear deck struts (which inevitably need to be replaced on these cars). I used it on this job to pull the retaining clip into the proper position, and then to grab the looped part at the end and clip it back in. Trying to do that with a flat bladed screwdriver would have been a royal pain I think.

Two questions to those who have done this installation. Did you heat wrap the one connector that is bare? I used some electrical tape, but wasn't sure if it was necessary. Also, did you attempt to mount the LED converter box to the inside of the headlight housing? It fits perfectly up in the corner as a previous poster pointed out, but it is just sort of flopping around. I thought of using some of that padded double sided tape stuff, but not sure how hot that box gets, if at all.

Overall, it's a nearly "plug and play" setup, and not difficult if you have the tools needed. The resulting improvement in the high beams is night and day over the OEM halogens, and a great addition to Tore's low beam HID setup which I had already installed. Easily one the best mods I've ever done on a 993, and a no brainer with the parts only costing $130.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:02 PM
Endoman
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

I had leds on main with the braided heatsinks but changed them for the cyclops, much neater. Very happy now with Tore's hids in Morimotos.It's a bit tight in Row cars with the levelling motor to contend with. I used some eletrical tape over the connectors and some small cable ties to keep them in place.
A great inspirational write up.

Quick Reply: LED High beam mod.