Difference in N1 and N2 ratings??

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003 | 03:16 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Default Difference in N1 and N2 ratings??

Just noticed the front and rear tires are different in regards to a N1 and N2 markings. They are Pirelli Assimetrico's with the front being N1's and rear N2's? What does this N rating mean?

I did look at tirerack's site, but could not find anything.

The rear tires were new april 2001, while the fronts were a bit older as this was the point where I bought the car.

Also curious if there is a compound difference?

Thanks!
Old 11-05-2003 | 03:59 PM
ApexL8
Burning Brakes

I'm speaking for Bridgestone tires, but in their case the N number is a specification from the car maker, Porsche in this case. I talked to a rep at tire rack and he said they don't even know what the exact specification is, Porsche doesn't make the info public.

I'm not sure if Pirelli uses the same kind of system, but it sure sounds like it.
Old 11-05-2003 | 04:15 PM
laurence '97 C4S
Racer

Main thing I know is that, generally speaking, you don't want to mix different N series tires. The numbers relate to development of the tire--so an N2 is a newer tire design than N1.
Old 11-05-2003 | 04:24 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Default Re: Difference in N1 and N2 ratings??

Originally posted by chris walrod
I did look at tirerack's site, but could not find anything.
Although I think it's prudent not to mix different N ratings on the same axle, IMO there's no problem mixing N ratings on otherwise compatable tires front to rear, e.g., front N-1 & rear N-2 P-Zeros. In fact, since they are different sizes a manufacturer may not make the different sizes in the same N series. If you really want to go "by the book," match all 4 to the same N rating.

Tire Rack: Porsche N-Specification Tire Approvals
Old 11-05-2003 | 04:42 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by ApexL8
I'm speaking for Bridgestone tires, but in their case the N number is a specification from the car maker, Porsche in this case. I talked to a rep at tire rack and he said they don't even know what the exact specification is, Porsche doesn't make the info public.
There is nothing to be made public. Porsche does extensive testing and approves certain tires for use on their cars. These tires get an "N" number on the sidewal. N0 is first generation, N1 second and so on.

I'm not sure if Pirelli uses the same kind of system, but it sure sounds like it.
Every factory installed Porsche tire has an "N" number.
Old 11-05-2003 | 04:48 PM
Rolo
Rhymes With Polo
Rennlist Member

All you ever wanted to know about tires. From Robin's site.

P Car
Old 11-05-2003 | 05:12 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

thanks all for the info--guess I didnt spend enough time at tire racks site. I swear I looked!!!

While looking at my car prior to purchase, when told the "rears are new", all I did was verify they were the same brand and type. Never noticed the N1 and N2 markings.... I also noticed these tires have absolutely NO treadwear or temp ratings... I have looked while the wheels were off the car for cleaning etc. Nothing stating specs.... Is this normal for Pirelli?
Old 11-05-2003 | 05:21 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by chris walrod
While looking at my car prior to purchase, when told the "rears are new", all I did was verify they were the same brand and type. Never noticed the N1 and N2 markings.... I also noticed these tires have absolutely NO treadwear or temp ratings... I have looked while the wheels were off the car for cleaning etc. Nothing stating specs.... Is this normal for Pirelli?
Chris,

You must look closer. DOT requires all tire manufacturers to show this information on the sidewall. I have never seen a modern day tire without them. Pirelli's PZero Asimmetrico is 140 - A - A.
Old 11-05-2003 | 05:55 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Viken, thats exactly what I have always known, but I swear I have examined both the front and rear tires and there is no treadwear/temp info on the inner or outer sidewall of the tire....

Very strange....
Old 11-05-2003 | 09:43 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Army

Count another "strange" Pirelli's PZero Asimmetrico operator here. I can't find it, on the outside anyway. Great tire, though, even without it.
Old 11-06-2003 | 08:49 AM
Cuppie
Racer

Michelin here in UK advize NOT to mix N ratings front to rear unless you have 'checked with the manufacturer'.

Some mixes have, apparently, been tested and approved.

Mel

Quick Reply: Difference in N1 and N2 ratings??