Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just saw this at the Mazda dealership....

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 08:46 PM
pavster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People who discount the Miata should really go drive a well sorted one for a bit. I still miss the super direct feel of the NA Miata I owned for 7 years (which I turboed half way into its tenure in my garage). For me the Miata set a benchmark in terms of steering feel, shifter, brakes, and overall directness. My 997 is the closest car that I was able to find to that benchmark without actually getting a Miata again.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:53 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Sigs993
I understand the Miata is not about a lot of power, but the new ones are around 175whp with tune and exhaust. It is still a high compression (14:1) 2.0L engine.
My point is that it's the same 2.0 displacement that easily made 240hp in Honda cars. Stock, without any tuning. 17 tears ago.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:02 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by M. Schneider
Mazda's 2 seat soft top at introduction held my interest big time, if for nothing else because of 3 years history with a MY76 Triumph TR6 as a daily driver; Maroon ext. over blk int. complete with optional hard top. (Big sister's are nice when they bequeath their TR6 to little brother whilst at school)

As if it were yesterday I recall the Denver dealership sales geek going wayyy-out on a limb, needlessly, down playing the 4cyl's anemic HP figures.
Here's me the customer schooling the sales guy what the Miata was all about. "Dude,,, its dynamic's ... Lightweight, reliable/Jap quality, 4 season, 5sp, top down, rear wheel drive, affordable.."

Fast forward to 2017 and my sales primer would read the same.
"Dude,,, its dynamic's ... Lightweight, reliable/Jap quality, 4 season, 5sp, top down, rear wheel drive, affordable.." What's not to like.

2 neighbor couples here in Vail having recently started retirement both have 5 or 6yo Miata models that they drive for extended cross continent/Canada road trips.. With a trunk lid mounted luggage rack,, their in the wind for weeks at a time....
That;s exactly why I understand ND Miata and don't quite understand FR Miata. I own two, a race NB and street NC and at some point will probably own ND as well, whether as a race or street car.

PS. Calling TR6 a daily driver is a bit of exaggeration, no? I mean, did it really start and run every day?

PPS. A funny actual story. In 1998, before buying the first convertible, I told my future former wife that I want one. Her edict was" "No more two sitters in a family". I said, if she lets me but an MGB, or a Miata, I'll get two matching British checkered hats and drive around with my son, wearing the hats with roof down. If she makes me buy a German 4-seat convertible, I'll have to buy a pair of Keizer helmets instead. Needless to say, I'm still looking for the matching Keizer helmets.

Quick Reply: Just saw this at the Mazda dealership....