Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FD Motorsports short shifter versus Rothsport short shifter

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 06:31 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Thanks for the input, guys! I'm probably just going to go with the Golden Rod and FDM short shifter. Will check with Darin to be sure, but the Rothsport short shifter with the stock shift **** sounds like far too much money for zero gain.

Originally Posted by fsa
Rothsport v. FD ssk.
Ditto the above comments.
Rothsport's kit is for 2-wheel drive, not 4. FD's is for 4-wheel drive, which is my car, and what Rothsport installed. I just got clarification from Earle, parts manager at Rothsport.
To repeat, while the ssk doesn't make things too much shorter, only about an inch, its presence along with the GR crisps things nicely.
I notice no increased vibration, noise, or notchiness.
Fred, Portland, OR
Fred, thanks! The FD shifter is made for RWD, too.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:34 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 195 Posts

Mark,
I have the same setup GR & FDM SS. You'll be really happy with it I'm sure.
Plus Darin is a pleasure to work with. Great customer service!
Old 01-04-2017, 06:40 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Thanks! Yeah, it's the current industry standard for street cars.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:49 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

+1 This is the route I've decided to follow. FD SSK, stock gator boot and either the GT3 alcantara or Cayman leather shift **** for better ergos.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:41 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 122 Posts

I installed the RS shifter in a C4S. I did not install the longer RS fork based on advice I received at the time. Can someone clear up that for me? Does the C4S not need the longer fork?

I got a longer RS fork and RS shift rod waiting to go in. After seeing Bill's post about the longer RS shifter I need to check that too. Would love to have it a bit taller.

So far no major wow factor. That may change after replacing above parts.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:15 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by CorrdoBrit
+1 This is the route I've decided to follow. FD SSK, stock gator boot and either the GT3 alcantara or Cayman leather shift **** for better ergos.
I thought about putting on a GT3 alcantara ****. Any pics of that setup?
Old 01-04-2017, 10:17 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 911F1
I thought about putting on a GT3 alcantara ****. Any pics of that setup?
Not in a 993. I haven't got around to this mod yet. This would be the best match for the gray interior and would look pretty good paired with the Momo/Porsche Cup steering wheel.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:23 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by MarinS4
I installed the RS shifter in a C4S. I did not install the longer RS fork based on advice I received at the time. Can someone clear up that for me? Does the C4S not need the longer fork?

I got a longer RS fork and RS shift rod waiting to go in. After seeing Bill's post about the longer RS shifter I need to check that too. Would love to have it a bit taller.

So far no major wow factor. That may change after replacing above parts.
No need for the fork on a 4WD car, just the the shift lever. Due to the propshaft you cant get the rod in the same position as a 2WD car.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:53 AM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by 911PERVY
No need for the fork on a 4WD car, just the the shift lever. Due to the propshaft you cant get the rod in the same position as a 2WD car.
Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
revolve40 (01-26-2021)
Old 04-10-2018, 02:43 PM
g60pops
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
Just to make things more interesting there are 2 RS shifters

Both are RS shifters, the taller one has a 964 part #

tall Rs shifter
By any chance do you know the part number for the shorter rs shift lever?
Old 04-10-2018, 03:09 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by CorrdoBrit
This is a timely thread for me as I'm about to make the same purchase decision. However I want to get away from the stock 'mushroom' shifter which I dislike for its ergonomics and reach. I have a spare stock shifter boot which I can modify to accept the Rothsport shift lever.

In addition for those that have DIY'ed the modification themselves, how straightforward was the installation of the SS kit (including the GR mod) for someone with basic tools and jack stands?
I did not purchase or install the SSK, but I followed the FD installation instructions for the Goldenrod, and it was very straightforward and was so simple, almost anyone could DIY the install.

While installing the GR, I would always recommend replacing the nylon cups in the forward shift linkage.
Old 04-10-2018, 04:18 PM
Mr.Woolery
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Achtung964
I went with the rothsport rod with function first ****, forward rod and golden rod from fd. It's definitely an improvement from stock but I'm not fully satisfied. Not close to the precision and short action of miatas. Occasionally, I have issues shifting to third under load. In low rpms, all is good. By the way, I also have wevo black motor mounts and ff yellow transmission mounts installed. Not sure if there is any fine tuning possible but from by understanding, its plug and play. My mechanic installed it.
The closest I've been able to get to the direct feel and precision of a Miata shifter in my 993 is with the CAE ultrashifter. The Miata's shifter is a direct connection to the transmission, so it's nigh impossible to get that in a 993, but the CAE gets close in terms of direct feel, throw, and ergonomics (at least for me). The biggest difference is that the shifter feel is heavier in the CAE due to its tensioning spring. It might be adjustable enough to meet your feel requirements, though. I consider the CAE shifter to be one of the best upgrades I've done to the car.

Quick Reply: FD Motorsports short shifter versus Rothsport short shifter