Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fastest 993 N/A version for AutoX?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 12:36 AM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Fastest 993 N/A version for AutoX?

I'm looking for the fastest Porsche you can run in SCCA Solo2 A-Stock (Autocross).
So far, top of the list is the Boxster S, but it is way down on power on the C4 Vettes or the S54 engined BMWs (MCoupe and M3). The 996 is not an option for A-Stock but the 993 is. I'm trying to figure out if there's a killer version that can put to rest the Corvette domination of the class (or an alternative to the Boxster S, which BTW I think the Boxster S in the right hands can win).

Key features to determine the better Autox version are (in that order):
1- Better handling (ligther versions, stiffer and lower suspension, negative camber)
2- Wider front wheels (Any versions with wider than avg. fronts to fit bigger tires?)
3- More Power (more is better as long as you can use it and the car handles well!)

Would the 993 C2S be the killer AutoX version by being the best among the 993s in the above characteristics?

Any help or advice is appreciated
Old 11-04-2003, 02:06 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi:

Although I'm not current on Solo 2 rules, a well prepared 993 (built to RS spec, if possible) with Moton Clubsport shocks and RS bars would be VERY good.

With all the right suspension goodies, everything setup by competant personnel, and a good driver,...its very hard to beat.
Old 11-04-2003, 02:06 AM
rcwelch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO the 993 is not competitive in SCCA Solo II A-Stock class...Look at the results of the Nationals and you will not see any at the top of the class.
Old 11-04-2003, 02:54 AM
Stuttgart
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts

If you are really good, the AWD cars can be really quick. My Father and I occasionally autocross his TT. It runs in ASP in stock form (to give you an idea of how much SCCA LOVES Porsches). The whole key is to drift (and i mean really hang it out) around as many of the corners as possible. The reason is that the AWD doesn't really do much until the rear tires start spinning A LOT.

-Phil
Old 11-04-2003, 09:04 AM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Hi:

Although I'm not current on Solo 2 rules, a well prepared 993 (built to RS spec, if possible) with Moton Clubsport shocks and RS bars would be VERY good.

With all the right suspension goodies, everything setup by competant personnel, and a good driver,...its very hard to beat.
For SCCA Stock classes the car needs to be Stock as it came from the factory and no mods are allowed other than tear and wear items (shocks-but no springs, pads, etc.)
Was the 993 RS a model sold in the US?
If so, where can I find the specs of it?
Thanks
Old 11-04-2003, 09:10 AM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by rcwelch
IMHO the 993 is not competitive in SCCA Solo II A-Stock class...Look at the results of the Nationals and you will not see any at the top of the class.
A-Stock is kind of a new class where after last year's restructuring everyone is still trying to figure out what might work other than a C4 Vette. That's probably why no one is running a 993 competitively.
However, the Kozlaks (very succesful Autocross couple) apparently are preparing a 993 for next season. They are very wise in what they choose to run, so i'm really curious to understand why they chose the 993 over the Boxster S.

Hopefully this year we will see more P-cars around in the top spots
Old 11-04-2003, 12:34 PM
rcwelch
Addict
Rennlist Member

cgomez...I am aware of the Kozlaks and have seen them run at Nationals. You are right...they may be on to something. It would be nice to see a Porsche back as a Stock Champion like Epaul in the old days.
Old 11-04-2003, 02:02 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 35 Posts

I've been away from the autocrossing scene for a while now, but my close friend competes very well at the regional & national level. According to him, the Boxster S is the best Porsche to have in A Stock.
Old 11-05-2003, 11:58 AM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by 911
I've been away from the autocrossing scene for a while now, but my close friend competes very well at the regional & national level. According to him, the Boxster S is the best Porsche to have in A Stock.
Is the general consensus that no stock Us spec 993 can be faster than a Boxster S at an Autocross? :confused

What's the fastest, lightest 993 N/A version sold in the US?:
Old 11-05-2003, 12:18 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cgomez - all stock 993s are basically the same spec. The 1995 versions have 270 HP vs. the 1996 - 1998 cars which have 282 HP. Many people claim the 95 is actually quicker to 60 (and there are several magazine tests that show this as well - as well as many that say the 96-98 car is quicker - we are talking .1 second here). The C4 version is claimed by the factory to be .1 second quicker to 60 due to better traction. The S cars are actually a tad slower as they are heavier. So, it seems that the quickest stock 993 car for your purposes would be a plain C4 - or if you do not like AWD, then a plain C2. Also, you would want one with the least amount of options to get it as light as possible - are you allowed to strip the car for weight savings?

Due to the 50/50 weight distribution of the Boxster, they seem to do very well at the PCA autocrosses I have been at. They certainly seem to allow novice drivers to do better than similarly skilled drivers in 993s. That being said, I have seen some very quick 993 AutoX'ers (H20NO on this board - Matt - comes to mind). The Boxster S is 250 HP in a 2750 pound car vs. the 993 at around 280 HP in a 3100 pound car - almost an identical power to weight ratio.
Old 11-05-2003, 03:47 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by ZCAT3
Cgomez - all stock 993s are basically the same spec. The 1995 versions have 270 HP vs. the 1996 - 1998 cars which have 282 HP. Many people claim the 95 is actually quicker to 60 (and there are several magazine tests that show this as well - as well as many that say the 96-98 car is quicker - we are talking .1 second here). The C4 version is claimed by the factory to be .1 second quicker to 60 due to better traction. The S cars are actually a tad slower as they are heavier. So, it seems that the quickest stock 993 car for your purposes would be a plain C4 - or if you do not like AWD, then a plain C2. Also, you would want one with the least amount of options to get it as light as possible - are you allowed to strip the car for weight savings?

Due to the 50/50 weight distribution of the Boxster, they seem to do very well at the PCA autocrosses I have been at. They certainly seem to allow novice drivers to do better than similarly skilled drivers in 993s. That being said, I have seen some very quick 993 AutoX'ers (H20NO on this board - Matt - comes to mind). The Boxster S is 250 HP in a 2750 pound car vs. the 993 at around 280 HP in a 3100 pound car - almost an identical power to weight ratio.
Thanks ZCAT. I would not go for a C4 version as launch time is not a factor in normal AutoX, other than for Pro-Solos. I rather have the lower weight of the C2.
In SCCA Stock you are not allowed to strip down the car, but you can run it in a configuration that could have been ordered from the factory (i.e. lower weight = sunroof delete, low on options)
You are saying a C2S is heavier than a regular C2? What can be the advantages of a C2S that can't be obtained from options on a C2?

I think your 2750 for a Boxster S is too low (regular Boxster?) and 3100 for a 993 C2 is too high. I believe both are around mid2900.. maybe with a 50-100lbs advantage at for the Boxster S. The 993 C2 accelerates much faster than a Boxster S.

On driving either car, you are right; the Boxster S is the easiest fastest car to drive around and AutoX course.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:09 PM
AStocker
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 Autocrosser

Figured I better quit lurking and join in..Thanks for the kind words but the truth of the matter is that both Lynne and I always wanted a 911. We don't like the 996, and no matter how much we tried to convince ourselves the Boxster S was the way to go, the beauty and desire of the 993 pulled us in. I've always kept an eye out for one, and found a 1997 C2 near us with 17,000 miles and minimal options (LSD/ABD and a few others).

Will it beat C4's and Boxster S's? Who knows, but we're sure going to try! Mike Solomon ran one fairly successfully not to long ago, and he wasn't on 18-inchers and Hoosiers.

Currently looking for all M030 parts, rear Koni's, and 18-inch hollow spoke tech wheels. Also, any and all advice from those who autocross/race/modify would be greatly appreciated.

We're looking forward to this Porsche experience and all the great people we'll meet. 2004 here we come! Watch out A Stock!
Old 11-05-2003, 08:31 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't remember the exact SCCA rules, but if allowed the RS-sway bars will help. My biased opinion is that a stock 993 understeers like a pig. The Bigger and adjustable bars allow the understeer to be dialed out and really allow the car to rotate.
Old 11-05-2003, 11:54 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Default Re: 993 Autocrosser

Originally posted by AStocker
Figured I better quit lurking and join in..Thanks for the kind words but the truth of the matter is that both Lynne and I always wanted a 911. We don't like the 996, and no matter how much we tried to convince ourselves the Boxster S was the way to go, the beauty and desire of the 993 pulled us in. I've always kept an eye out for one, and found a 1997 C2 near us with 17,000 miles and minimal options (LSD/ABD and a few others).

Will it beat C4's and Boxster S's? Who knows, but we're sure going to try! Mike Solomon ran one fairly successfully not to long ago, and he wasn't on 18-inchers and Hoosiers.

Currently looking for all M030 parts, rear Koni's, and 18-inch hollow spoke tech wheels. Also, any and all advice from those who autocross/race/modify would be greatly appreciated.

We're looking forward to this Porsche experience and all the great people we'll meet. 2004 here we come! Watch out A Stock!
Good to hear from you directly Paul!
...and looking forward to see you giving those Vettes a run for their money.
See you in A-Stock. I might run my E46 M3 for a couple of events, but I'm really looking for a ride in a Boxster S.
Keep us posted on your progress and how you manage to dial out the understeer. What's the size on the 18" fronts for that car?
Old 11-06-2003, 05:23 AM
Leeds Gulick
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I've autocrossed since 1981 and normally run a white 914-6 in F Prepared, but I've also owned and autocrossed a 1995 993 C2 M030 non-sunroof and a 2003 Boxster S M030.

The Boxster S is a much better car for autocross, with less weight, better balance and handling, better gearing and not that much less power now. The down sides to the Boxster S are wheel hop on launch and PSM that interferes under braking, even when turned off.

Quick Reply: Fastest 993 N/A version for AutoX?