Sponsored by:

Porsche Classic- Oil Any 1 using it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2016, 12:50 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by vincer77
Is this sufficient evidence against the Porsche Classic oil being repackaged Castrol?
No...and none intended. George is usually spot on with his info. I was more interested in what was available stateside and what the specs are.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:51 PM
Rockit
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a Castrol Motorsport vs Castrol Professional comparison I found on the Beemer forms.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=926080
Old 03-21-2017, 07:31 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts

Here is a Blackstone for Porsche Classic 10w-60
Name:  Porsche%2010W60_zps65z0mve6.jpg
Views: 790
Size:  148.3 KB

and the 2 Castrol 10w-60
[img]https://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b173/stuntman71/1TWSMOTORSPTPublic.jpg[/img

Notice any similarities?
Old 03-30-2017, 04:02 PM
Rockit
Racer

I'm the original poster of this thread. When I found out Porsche now recommends 10w60w I wanted to see how many people used the Porsche Classic oil and wanted feedback. This was a good thread because I found out the Castrol TWS and Edge were almost identical I did not know. I did not think Porsche had a oil refinery.

So I went to order some TWS here in the USA to find its now Professional TWS and according to tests the same. So I called Castrol and they told me dealers get the most lubricants in there oil or what came from the factory. (I know the TWS is the same)

So with that info I ordered the BMW M oil with the part number listed on previous posts hoping to get the TWS. I come to find out from searches on the M boards "Shell" now makes the oil for BMW M cars, I think its called Shell Helix Ultra Racing 10w 60w.

So I've owned my car for almost a year now and when first got my car the shop used Mobile One 0w-40w.

My 95 came with Shell Oil from the factory so I had my oil changed with the BMW M oil and I know the 10w-60w is thicker but here is what I noticed on my 1995 with 150k: The oil comes up to temperature very fast. While the temp gauge does fluctuate slightly on stops it now mostly runs one line cooler, the thickness of the needle. The biggest difference is on my car the engine is MUCH quieter. My engine is in perfect tune and does not burn a drop but at higher revs the engine was normally loud like a sewing machine-not abnormal- you cant here that now.

That's what I found. Thought I'd share

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-shell-pa...ZFgaAj3F8P8HAQ

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...r/83212365944/
Old 03-31-2017, 01:16 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg

Notice any similarities?
Pretty close, but not identical. The tests were 3 years apart, some could be variation over time. Viscosity and Ti and Moly are the differences. But I do not read these often, so maybe these are not significant differences.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:42 PM
Rockit
Racer

Originally Posted by Windsurfer
i dunno, with experts like steve and others recommending 20-50 in our region for ages, more importantly having the right zddp, im not sure why you'd want to deviate from that...
Go to the first post and watch the video put out by Porsche.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:07 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockit
Go to the first post and watch the video put out by Porsche.
If you don't think Porsche is trying to make some money and/or that they are capable of being wrong in anything, you've got some studying to do.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:58 PM
Rockit
Racer

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
If you don't think Porsche is trying to make some money and/or that they are capable of being wrong in anything, you've got some studying to do.
So the car you love and drive you think Porsche engineers make a lot of mistakes and you want me personally to study mistakes made by the Porsche company throughout there history? WOW

With the advances made in oil technology annually, you think Porsche is just flat out lying, let alone the changes in 20 years that were made in engineering...

No Thanks Mr. ED, I'll stay in my dream world.

Last edited by Rockit; 04-01-2017 at 06:04 AM.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:08 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

Whatever. You read somewhere Porsche is recommending 10-60 when they come out with the same product. Knock yourself out.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:09 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I would trust the guys currently rebuilding air cooled 911 engines long before the marketing department at Porsche. How many air cooled motors has the factory torn down in the last 10 years?
Old 03-31-2017, 11:23 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 263 Posts

So the car you love and drive you think Porsche engineers make a lot of mistakes and you want me personally to study mistakes made by the Porsche company throughout there history? WOW

With the advices made in oil technology annually, you think Porsche is just flat out lying, let alone the changes in 20 years that were made in engineering...

No Thanks Mr. ED, I'll stay in my dream world.
Obviously, as Ed pointed out, you have lots to learn. There is a reason for aftermarket support.
Old 04-01-2017, 02:12 AM
Dick in TN
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If mistakes weren't allowed then all the engineers would become risk averse and the competitiveness of Porsche in international competition would plummet.
And if that happened their street cars would suffer.
The following users liked this post:
ruf911 (11-01-2021)
Old 04-01-2017, 05:59 AM
Rockit
Racer

Originally Posted by KNS
I would trust the guys currently rebuilding air cooled 911 engines long before the marketing department at Porsche. How many air cooled motors has the factory torn down in the last 10 years?
Porsche factory in there classics dept restores more air cooled cars I would say than any shop.
http://www.porsche.com/international...n/restoration/

If you YouTube Porsche classic you will be amazed on the cars they are restoring and what they are doing. You have to look beyond this board and have a world view of all aspects Porsche does in its operations.

I know Porsche is not perfect and sometimes contradicts itself sometimes but I do think it's because they grow and learn from advancement of the technology in the industry.

We are told by the science community eggs are bad for us, now eggs are good. Coffee is bad now coffee is good for us.

Last edited by Rockit; 04-01-2017 at 06:22 AM.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:09 AM
Holytin
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Porsche factory in there classics dept restores more air cooled cars I would say than any shop.
http://www.porsche.com/international...n/restoration/

If you YouTube Porsche classic you will be amazed on the cars they are restoring and what they are doing. You have to look beyond this board and have a world view of all aspects Porsche does in its operations.

I know Porsche is not perfect and sometimes contradicts itself sometimes but I do think it's because they grow and learn from advancement of the technology in the industry.

We are told by the science community eggs are bad for us, now eggs are good. Coffee is bad now coffee is good for us.

The fact remains that Porsche still runs a business. It's all about money and business has no morale. It never had and never will, plain and simple. Good marketing is one of the keys to success and their marketing experts just found another opportunity by advertising their "especially formulated oil for air cooled 911's".

Sure, you are entitled to your own opinion but, and I'm only speaking for myself, I prefer to listen to those that have the experience to make recommendations. Experience comes with time and Porsche's oil has been on the market for about 7 years give or take. For my part this stuff won't see the inside of my engine. I stick to Brad Penn as recommended by a 45 year Porsche veteran racing and repairing air cooled 911's...
Old 04-01-2017, 08:02 AM
Rockit
Racer

Originally Posted by Holytin
I stick to Brad Penn as recommended by a 45 year Porsche veteran racing and repairing air cooled 911's...
Brad Penn is some of the best oil I've used, I run that in an air cooled motorcycle I have with a dry clutch and big bore kit. Only oil that keeps it running cool.

I buy that oil from a race shop near me but they don't make 10w60w that I know of.

Quick Reply: Porsche Classic- Oil Any 1 using it?