Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Canadian/US conversion, would you buy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2002, 11:48 AM
Craig Chase
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Canadian/US conversion, would you buy?

How many of you (U.S.) would be suspicious of a car that had been converted to a US odometer (after about 10K miles). I've got documentation of the odometer swap, including the number of Km on the car before the change (the new US-spec odometer was installed apparently with 0 miles and so does not indicate the true mileage on the car).

Thanks,

Craig
Old 10-19-2002, 11:52 AM
neunelf
Racer

I would dig deeper and try and locate all the possible records from the previous owner. Also running a Carfax would be worthwhile.
Old 10-19-2002, 12:53 PM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yearn,
Why bother? Many Many Many US cars for sale
Old 10-19-2002, 01:52 PM
Craig Chase
Track Day

The car I'm considering is a US car (at least, it is now). It started life as a Canadian car, and is at my friendly neighborhood Porsche dealer.

It's a 993TT with sport seats in Slate Grey, not exactly a commodity car. And it might be available at a reasonable price (don't know, I haven't really started negotiating). I'm just trying to understand what sort of "discount" would be in order for an odometer change.

What'cha think?
1. It wouldn't bother me, as long as the true mileage was documented, I don't see how this matters, the US/Canadian cars are the same except for that KPH/MPH thing.

2. I'd try to use it as leverage against the dealer and argue for 5% off the price

or,

3. I wouldn't buy it unless they gave it away, and even then I'd think seriously about it. There's plenty of TTs available now, keep looking.
Old 10-19-2002, 02:16 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 311 Likes on 217 Posts
Craig;

I went up to Canada to purchase my 98 C4S, it turned out to be a great deal for me. You might want to think about having the speedo re-adjusted to match the true miles that are on the car if y8ou are concerned about the difference.
Old 10-19-2002, 09:55 PM
laurence '97 C4S
Racer

Unless I was planning on keeping the car for a very long time--in other words keeping the car until it has depreciated substantially-- I would not buy it. I think you will be penalized on the resale (equal to or greater than you might save up front).

Quick Reply: Canadian/US conversion, would you buy?