Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

I got a speeding ticket in MI on my WA license. Should I worry?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2002, 05:39 AM
bimmer
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post I got a speeding ticket in MI on my WA license. Should I worry?

Traveling through MI, I got a speeding ticket for of all things, going 10MPH over. My license is in WA and my record is otherwise clean.

Does anyone know if MI shares info with WA? I know some states do and some don't. How do I find out? I am so worried about my insurance going up....
Old 11-30-2002, 11:19 AM
Luis A.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts
I'd also like to know the definitive answer to this. I recall once hitting a website that had information on which states had reciprocity of driving record information. I also recall that, in theory, there was or is a national database where such information could be shared but is not widely adopted.

Luis
Old 11-30-2002, 11:27 AM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If someone has the site, please share. I'd also like to check it out.

Another thing to keep in mind is that most states and insurance companies have a time period over which a ticket disappears. If you've not had one in a while your insurance company shouldn't ding you for just this one.

Also, I think most states drop tickets off your record in 3 or 5 years.
Old 11-30-2002, 08:52 PM
Todd
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Where were when caught speeding?
Old 11-30-2002, 09:12 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bimmer,

Many years ago, I received a ticket in Tennessee and chose not to pay it because a little research showed that Tennessee did not relay this sort of information to my home state of Texas. However, from what I've heard, it's more difficult to get away with this than it used to be, due to <a href="http://www.dui.com/dmvinformation/nonresident.html" target="_blank">the Non Resident Violator Compact</a> , which covers moving violations.

Check out the <a href="http://www.dui.com/DLC/driver_license_compact.html" target="_blank">individual state participation</a> . Interestingly, it appears that Michigan may not participate in the NRVC, but I would certainly research this further. The above information appears to be relatively current (2002), but then again, this is the internet and I'm not an attorney.

Good luck.
Old 11-30-2002, 09:33 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Anir:
[QB]
Many years ago, I received a ticket in Tennessee and chose not to pay it because a little research showed that Tennessee did not relay this sort of information to my home state of Texas. QB]<hr></blockquote>

Anir,
Remind me that you are a wanted man in TN! Seriously I would never encourage you not to pay a ticket in a state that you might happen across again. The way is see the DLC, is that record of a ticket doesn't cross state lines, so it shouldn't affect your insurance rates, not that you are absolved of the fine.

I wouldn't want to risk getting thrown in jail over such a small issue on your way to Florida or South Carolina, that would be a bad way to start or end a vacation to say the least!
Old 11-30-2002, 10:33 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Greg,

Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving. I wholeheartedly agree with you about just paying the ticket. In fact, I recently paid a speeding ticket that I received in Indiana when returning from Putnam.

I received the Tennessee ticket when I was 18 years old, and I took different risks back then. I was just providing some information that pertained to Bimmer's question, since I had some shady experience in this area.

BTW, I have been stopped in Tennessee in recent years, and was let go with a warning. It would appear that my "lapse in judgement" is no longer on my record in that state. I wonder how long they keep records before purging.
Old 11-30-2002, 10:55 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Anir,
I hope you had a great Thanksgiving as well.
Excuse me, but didn't you get that ticket last year, 2001? And you are just now paying it!
I didn't realize the ticket in TN was that long ago. What was it, three decades since you were a teenager ?!
I would guess the time frame is around 5 years but is purely speculation on my part.
Old 12-11-2002, 09:22 AM
A.J. - 95 993
Racer

Yeah, I'm a bit behind on my reading...

I was passing through North Carolina on vacation with a buddy while I was in college. I got pulled over, got a $75 ticket. I didn't pay it - my roommate was a criminal justice major, and didn't think that North Carolina shared info. A few months later, I got a letter in the mail saying that my license was suspended in N.C. Oh well, no big deal, I won't drive when we go through there again. Then a few months later, I got a letter from Ohio (where I was living) saying that my Ohio license was suspended due to violations in N.C. There was a deadline for getting this cleared up, and they needed confirmation from North Carolina before I was off the hook. I contacted N.C., paid a $50 late fine, and waited. And waited. One day while driving co-workers to lunch (just before Christmas, no less), I got pulled over for not having a front license plate, and for window tint too dark (not speeding!). The trooper brought me back to her car, and had me sit in the front seat. I disagreed with her non-scientific method for checking light transmission % of my tint, but it was futile. I was nervous, but no mention of my license. Til I heard the voice over the radio say "no driving privileges" or something like that. My heard sank into my shoes. I said I could explain, she said tell it to the judge. Luckily, she let me go, and allowed a co-worker to drive the car back to work.

I had to settle the issue with N.C. first - it turns out there was an extra late fee that the county or someone charged that I wasn't told about. So they just let my request sit in a stack of paperwork, rather than tell me. Luckily, they cashed the check I did send, so I could prove when they received it. And it was well before the dealdine. I got a lawyer, sent the money for the extra fine in, and had that portion cleared up before going to court.

The judge threw out the charge for no license plate since there is not a bracket on the car for one (from the sounds of it, that won't fly in California). The lawyer said he went out and looked at the windows, and they weren't overly dark (law says 50%, I had 35%, and it was reasonable, not "limo tint". The judge said ok, threw that out too.

Total cost to try to get out of paying a $75 ticket:

fines $50
lawyer $250
court cost $80
$380

It ain't worth it.
Old 12-11-2002, 12:04 PM
SteveL1
Instructor

Just for reference: I received a ticket in MI a few years ago and it did end up showing on my MO record. Not sure if Missouri is diff that WA though.
Old 12-11-2002, 01:17 PM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bimmer,

Call your state DMV, and make sure you get connected to someone knowledgeable (and don't give your name). The DMV should be able to tell you about reciprocity. Last time I checked in my state (NY), "reciprocity" was almost universal, BUT that didn't mean that an out-of-state ticket went on a NY license. The rule in NY was, and may still be, that an out-of-state ticket did NOT go on a NY license IF the driver paid it on time. If he didn't pay, his license got the points.

Quick Reply: I got a speeding ticket in MI on my WA license. Should I worry?