Sponsored by:

Trunk items - what are they?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2003, 09:41 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 443 Likes on 242 Posts
Question Trunk items - what are they?

I continue to unravel mysteries left behind by previous owners. This picture is taken from the driver's side of the trunk.

RED: I have a feeling that this is a fuel switch, and that it's not factory. Can anyone confirm?

BLUE: what goes through this pipe (and spilled on my paint )?

GREEN: This cable attaches to the bonnet release at one end, goes through this hole in the trunk and ends up as a wire loop hidden behind the wheel mudguard. You would have to pull it very hard to get it to release the bonnet, not to mention jacking the car up, removing the wheel and removing the mudguard first! Is this factory? What's the point?
Attached Images  
Old 10-31-2003, 09:46 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Red looks like a master cut off switch (battery)
Blue vent tube for battery
Green emergency cable trunk release in case the trunk release cable breaks
Old 10-31-2003, 10:04 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Thanks Robin. So the battery vent goes all the way up, through the wall and all the way down again? strange

emergency trunk release makes sense now

Red switch is connected to what looks like two pipes so I assumed it was fuel, but maybe they are just well wrapped electric cables. EDIT: I just went out and had a closer look. By golly you're right! Once again, what purpose does it serve (when you can so easily pop the battery terminal off)?
Old 10-31-2003, 10:23 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Yes, the battery vent just goes to the inside of the fender, as long as the hydrogen is trapped inside the trunk.

The emergency cut off switch may be required for cars participating track events in UK? The purpose of the emergency master cut off switch is to quickly completely cut off power in case of a wreck to prevent spark in igniting any spilled fuel.
Old 10-31-2003, 10:32 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Robin, your assistance is, as always, appreciated. I can only offer you a virtual beer at this stage but it would be my pleasure to make it a real one some day
Old 10-31-2003, 10:38 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cut Off switches for track events are supposed to be on the outside of the car so they can be accessed by track workers. A switch mounted inside the trunk like that is more than likely a theft preventative measure.
Old 10-31-2003, 10:42 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Originally posted by viperbob
A switch mounted inside the trunk like that is more than likely a theft preventative measure.
With the convenient side effect of upsetting the time on the car clock every time, and resetting the navigation system settings! Hmm....
Old 10-31-2003, 10:43 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Grahham & Robin, Thanks for posting this. I didn't know that that trunk release cable has to be routed into the fender. Mine had been laying just inside the trunk.
Old 10-31-2003, 10:45 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Best of all about that battery kill switch - it disables the alarm too! I don't think I will ever use it. I feel a small weight loss project coming on
Old 10-31-2003, 11:12 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

I would be careful using that type, particularily that brand of master cut-off switch(I think its Hella) They tend to vibrate themselves (where you will experience the car running strange and intermittantly) apart internally and create an open-circuit, even though in the 'on' position.

Looks at though the PO did a really clean install!
Old 10-31-2003, 01:19 PM
jorisg
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks to me the perfect way of disconnecting the battery for a sound and quiet winter sleep of your car for when the snow really starts to fall and the roads are covered with salt
Old 10-31-2003, 04:13 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally posted by viperbob
Cut Off switches for track events are supposed to be on the outside of the car so they can be accessed by track workers. A switch mounted inside the trunk like that is more than likely a theft preventative measure.
Actually they don't have to be. All you need is a string with a loop that's tied to the kill switch inside the trunk and with the other end hanging outside of the hood.

And you just use duct tape to secure the string in place.

Below is a not so good picture of that string in front of the driver's side windshield. (Picture taken during 1999 PCA club race at Road Atlanta, Hank Cohn's 96 993)

Quick Reply: Trunk items - what are they?