Sponsored by:

Alarm. immobilizer issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 10:15 PM
EHS
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm. immobilizer issues

Hi all, I have had my 993 at my cabin for a few months now. Its been on a CTEK tender the entire time.

Went to start it, and fob won't unlock door. Used the key, and it sets off the alarm. Probably a dumb move, but it's done. Alarm goes off, insert the key and alarm will stop but engine does not turn over.

Take key out and alarm goes on again. Look at tender and it is on the on position, but not for cars. When I turn it to "car" position, alarm sounds again. What is the move here? Is there some sort of reset? Do I just need a new battery? Thanks for your help. Best, EHS
Old 11-05-2016, 12:46 AM
KM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would try the simplest thing first... replace the battery in the fob.
Old 11-05-2016, 01:15 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Remember too, that if the car's battery is not fully charged (12.66 VDC at the battery terminals) and in good condition, many things in the car do not work properly nor consistently.

Further, if that battery is 5 or more years old, its instantly suspect.
Old 11-05-2016, 06:02 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by EHS
Hi all, I have had my 993 at my cabin for a few months now. Its been on a CTEK tender the entire time.

Went to start it, and fob won't unlock door. Used the key, and it sets off the alarm. Probably a dumb move, but it's done. Alarm goes off, insert the key and alarm will stop but engine does not turn over.
AS IT SHOULD

Take key out and alarm goes on again. Look at tender and it is on the on position, but not for cars. When I turn it to "car" position, alarm sounds again. What is the move here? Is there some sort of reset? Do I just need a new battery? Thanks for your help. Best, EHS
As mentioned, fob battery first, assuring fob battery contacts are clean and free of any type of corrosion. Even bend them in slightly for a more snug contact with the battery terminals.
A small dab of diaelectric grease on the tabs and battery ends, help prevent corrosion.
Old 11-11-2016, 09:58 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,554 Likes on 1,097 Posts

Order of checking alarm/immobilizer:
  • Check fob battery & clean contacts, make sure clip holds battery firmly (don't assume a new battery is good, could be aged stock, use a volt meter from Harbor Freight, less than $10 to check its voltage.
  • Light on fob illuminates when pressing button
  • Diconnect the car battery clean and reconnect. Inspect wires for corrosion. This may reset any controller issues and battery contact issues.
  • Check car battery, with engine running should be at 13.5 or more volts, with engine off just after running 12.5 volts and after sitting for a few days >12 volts.
  • If alarm active door lights flashing in single flashes, not couplets. If couplets check the following:
  • Glove box light, frunk light, engine light all illuminate when open and go out when closed.
  • The dome (cabin) lights when set in the proper position illuminate with a door open and go out when the doors are closed or the doors are locked with the fob.
Above are just the basics before considering more invasive analysis.

Andy
Old 12-20-2016, 09:54 AM
EHS
Track Day

Hello all,

Thanks for your replies. And Nine9six that prodded me into following up. I dislike it when people solicit my advice and then never get back to me.

Ultimately, I wound up switching the battery tender onto "car" charge mode. This made the alarm go off, but I figured that maybe it would start to recharge it properly. After about 5 minutes, I was able to hold the fob up to the glass and disarm the alarm. I then was able to lock the car, and unfortunately had to leave.

Thanks for all your help,

EHS
Old 12-21-2016, 10:01 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by EHS
Hello all,

Thanks for your replies. And Nine9six that prodded me into following up. I dislike it when people solicit my advice and then never get back to me.

Ultimately, I wound up switching the battery tender onto "car" charge mode. This made the alarm go off, but I figured that maybe it would start to recharge it properly. After about 5 minutes, I was able to hold the fob up to the glass and disarm the alarm. I then was able to lock the car, and unfortunately had to leave.

Thanks for all your help,

EHS
...And thanks to Steve Weiner for hitting the nail on the head!
Old 01-17-2017, 03:44 PM
EHS
Track Day

And... to close the loop. I finally got the tender to stay on the correct setting, and the next time I started the car it worked perfectly.

Thanks again,

EHS
Old 01-17-2017, 06:37 PM
WhiteCab
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

FWIW - Also, in addition to the above:
1. Ground cable may need replacement
2. Sometimes a hung-up immobilizer can be "reset" by locking/unlocking from the console switch
3. If battery gets too low, tender will not charge the battery

Quick Reply: Alarm. immobilizer issues