Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WET SAND... black 993?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 12:19 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jebia, forget your bike tanks; who selects your wall art?

A little paint history. When cars were painted with lacquer, they used a high speed (fast drying solvent). It was so fast, the paint spray would dry 3' away from the nozzle. This resulted in "overspray" - cured droplets of pigment the air deposited on the painted surface. You had to sand lightly between coats of paint to remove that and allow some bite on the next coat.

A good sprayer could spray wet (gloss) without having paint run.

Environmental protection laws don't allow those solvents anymore (ozone layer). Todays paints are acrylic based (softer - less cracking than w lacquer) and use either water or some other slow solvent. Cars are painted with robots and they do a really good job, just not the best.

Your small shops with good technicians can give you the best work.

Jebia, am I missing anything?
Old 11-04-2003, 03:18 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default clear coat???

re: clearcoat... i'm gonna assume there is minimal thickness there as even polishes that we use to remove scratches, i'm sure takes it's toll (over time).

now i realize why some people prefer their car not have a clearcoat finish.. would enable you to polish & wax a virgin surface... i remember my old (red) vette did not have a clearcoat & i recall after rubbing it out & waxing, having red/pink towels to launder but the finish on the car was "show" quality (& it was a daily driver).

i know i am being overly picky but i've found a better finish is also a lot easier to wash & care for in the long run... more rewarding after a wax. --(guess i'm also trying to put the p_car into the kind of condition it would have been if i was the orig. owner too).
so after i've spoken to several quality paint/body shops & have a little "down time" to do it... i'm going to go for it. & like jebia mentioned... i'll hit the inside door jamb area first... & hell if it's too much of a b!t¢h to do i'll hire someone to do it (@ a "a-1" shop).
gotta try it diy-style first!

another thought::::::: wonder if sanding removes the clearcoat altogether??? & is that a bad thing? if you mantain the finish?

rich

ps- yeah... who does choose your wall art jebia?
Old 11-04-2003, 03:31 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sanding can remove clearcoat and bring you down to bare metal.

Removing part of clear coat can result in blotches like mentioned earlier in thread.

Try to experiment on a larger panel than the inside door. The structural bends in the inside door panel will sand down quicker.

If you use 2000 paper, you have to go a long way to screw up.

Less is more and good luck........

Quick Reply: WET SAND... black 993?