98993c2s
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield replacement

Has anyone used these guys?

http://www.89glass.com/index.html

Online quote with local install, $616.

Big rock hit the passenger side of the windshield, now it's expanding...

I have heard issues with the radio antenna on 993 replacements.

Two local quotes so far, including Porsche dealer, about $1000 for glass and labor.

Recommendations?

TIA,
Robert
Old 10-30-2003, 01:25 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Do a search on Safelite and you'll find lots of info. I went thru heck with them several weeks ago, but in the end I paid $500 and they did a fine job.

My advice: ask around and find out where the dealer sends their Porsches to get replacement windshields. The radio antenna is a non-issue for an experienced guy, and they won't need to remove the dash or do any other disassembly. They just reach thru the trunk.
Old 10-30-2003, 02:05 PM
PramTT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield replacement

I just had my windshield replaced (broken due to flying object).

The safelite replacement windshield which also currently stocked by the Porsche dealer is about $700. However if you insist on using the made in Germany "Sigla" OEM glass the cost is about $1700. In my case since I have insurance, I requested to use the Sigla glass and the insurance company does not have any problwm with it.

Either way, you should not have any problem with the windshield antenna.

HTH
Old 10-30-2003, 02:17 PM
User 4621
Race Director

Received 614 Likes on 326 Posts

I had a cracked windshield replaced not long ago. The cracked one was an aftermarket one installed by a nationwide chain, and I decided to go back to an OEM windshield. The aftermarket one was NOT installed in exactly the same way as the factory one. The rubber surround was slightly wider than OEM and curled up away from the paint a bit at the top 2 corners after a few years. The glass was also very firmly glued in place, and was very difficult to remove.

This is not necessarily worse than the OEM method, but just be aware that it's difficult to go back to factory once you install aftermarket. I would at least talk to the installers and make sure they use Porsche factory rubber and installation method.

I also made sure they used the Sigla glass and the total cost was $1000, so you might want to shop around a bit.

Quick Reply: Windshield replacement