Relocated from UK to CA - looking for 993 cab - advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 01:38 PM
superpat
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Relocated from UK to CA - looking for 993 cab - advice needed

Hi all,

Well, I finally made it across the pond, and now I'm looking to replace the '95 993 Coupe I had in the UK:

This being California , I thought I'd sample the delights of al fresco motoring, and look for a cabriolet. I'm lining up a couple to look at (hopefully) later today. What should I be looking for specifically in a cab - any areas to examine over and above the standard coupe?

I know of a local place to get a PPI (CT Automotive in Campbell) - what other checks should I do? Is there some sort of check on the VIN to ensure that it has no outstanding finance, is not a repaired wreck etc?

Any and all advice gladly accepted!

Cheers,

Pat
Old 10-28-2003, 02:04 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Pat,

Welcome to the Bay Area. Hopefully you will join us on our monthly rides on Sunday rides around the area.

You will want to check with www.carfax.com This will tell you as best as anything the locations throughout the country where the car has been titled over its lifetime.

Can't help you on the cab thing, but the guy at CT will be able to go over the car and give you a good review.

Good luck...
Old 10-28-2003, 06:59 PM
jerrykrug
Advanced

http://www.craigslist.org/nby/car/18418707.html dont know anything about this but 18K for a 95 cab. Looks like a deal...............169,000 miles
Old 10-28-2003, 08:16 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pat,

If you are looking for a nicely equipped, low mileage Arctic Silver with Blue top and Blue interior Cab, contact me.

I'm in San Jose, CA.

Matt
mconnolly@corp.address.com
Old 10-28-2003, 10:17 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Matt: Why are we seeing a post like this?

Next thing we know Kim will be selling of his cars and all the spare parts (which will cause a total collapse of the market).

Pat (the ex-pat?): I also think an iris blue cab is about as good as it gets.
Old 10-29-2003, 12:11 AM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tom,

I'm willing to sell the car to an "enthusiast" who will appreciate it for what it is and how it's been treated. Bay Area Rennlister's know my car well and would likely vouch for it's pristine condition and exceptional maintenance.

When the time is right, I'll find a replacement. For now, I'd be willing to part with it for a fair price to the right buyer. I just founded a new company with a few other entreprenuers and could use the capital to help things along. In the interim, I might buy a beater for a track car.

Details are posted at www.pmmotors.com

The picture is pre PSS-9, so the ride height is a bit tall! Also, the posted prices are very negotiable.

Regards,

Matt
Old 10-29-2003, 07:32 PM
superpat
Advanced

Originally posted by H20NOO
Also, the posted prices are very negotiable.
Great looking car, however, it's a little too expensive for my budget and I'm not too sure the posted price would be as negotiable as I'd like it to be.

Thanks for the heads-up, though.

Pat
Old 10-29-2003, 07:55 PM
J-McDonald
Pro

For cabs, obviously you'll want to be sure that the fabric is intact - part of the top mechanism is known for wearing out the fabric (from the inside) near the top rear corner of the side windows. New fabric is around $2k. If the rear window is mildly hazy, Meguiar's makes a cleaner/polish that will help clear it up. You'll also want to be sure that the top raises and lowers smoothly - if it sticks, do not under any circumstances force it - expensive things will break. If it's jerky, the top motors and/or transmissions may need to be replaced - the motors are around $400 each. Also, be sure that you get the snap-on boot cover from the seller - they're surprisingly expensive ($400-500). Good luck!
Old 10-30-2003, 12:09 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a retaining strap that secures a bar that helps the top fold properly. If the strap is worn or broken, the bar may not work properly. If this happens, two holes will be punched through the top (one on each side) by a nasty spike that you will see as the top opens and closes. The bar can be set in place by hand as the top goes back if the strap breaks (easy to repair) so it is not really a deal killer. Just somthing to be aware of.
Old 10-30-2003, 01:01 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't think you can do any thing with the bars as they are fixed. You can move the fabric out of the way from the bars as the top goes down (from outside of the car). The strap (elastic) is supposed to to this if it still functions.
Old 10-30-2003, 03:03 PM
MelissaM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pat,

Welcome to the Bay Area! The Porsche Club of America has two great local regions that you may be interested in. (They also have classified ads for cars on your web site.)

Golden Gate Region
Loma Prieta Region

There's also a '97 convertible at California Motorsport (local consignment shop) listed for $43,800: Blue '97 Cab

Standard disclaimer: I have no affiliation with California Motorsport, but I am a member of the GGR PCA and have done an event with the LPR region.

Happy hunting!

-- Melissa

Quick Reply: Relocated from UK to CA - looking for 993 cab - advice needed