Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2003, 01:51 AM
AlgaeHater
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Goodies for my C2S! - Part II

Want to read Part I? Check it out:

click here!

Well the nice UPS man made another delivery today! I wonder what could be inside this time...

As I mentioned before, my main gripe with my 993 is the wimpy exhaust note. My Honda S2000 sounds like a screaming banshee / F1 race car compared to my Porsche. After much deliberation, I narrowed my choices down to the following:

1. Fabspeed Maxflo. Pros: Nice sound (obvious) - not too loud, but more importantly, not too quiet . Cons: Minor resonance at ~3k?

2. Fabspeed Supercups. Pros: Sounds like a stadium full of harleys during a rock concert during a thunderstorm. Cons: What was that? I seem to have lost my hearing.

4. B&B. Pros: Aggressive exhaust note. Cons: RESONANCE!! ARRGGHH!!!! I can't hear my stereo cruising the highway!

3. RSR. Pros: Cheap! and no resonance. Cons: Will I go from a wimper to a whisper?

After scouring Rennlist for advice, I decided to go with Robin's RSRs!

After removing the wrapping, I marvelled at the nice welding job. Robin's got skills!

Side by side with my stock Gillets (pretty decent shape after 50K miles!...

Rule number 1 when working on your Porsche. Make sure you have plenty of space! :

After slapping all the bits and pieces together and slipping on all the pools of WD40,
I fired her up with much anticipation....

...uuhhh, did I accidently install my stock mufflers? Honestly, at first, I was disappointed. I could not tell the difference between the RSRs and my stock exhaust (non motorsound exhausts). After driving for ~15 minutes on the highway, I noticed that the exhaust note got a little bit louder. I would say that overall, the RSRs are maybe 10% louder than stock. Cabin noise is virtually unchanged (which might be a good thing). The good news is that there's absolutely zero resonance. The best way to describe the sound is that it's exactly the same "tone" as stock, just a wee bit louder. Although they do sound waaayy better than stock, I don't think I'm going to keep them at this point since I crave a more aggressive exhaust note.

Stay tuned for Part III!

On a side note, I want to thank Robin for all of his help. Great service and he answered all of my stupid questions!
Old 09-26-2004, 04:39 AM
trunglemill
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
Are you interested in selling you exhausts?
I am looking for a set of RSR's
Regards
Elizabeth
Old 09-26-2004, 04:42 AM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 161 Likes on 82 Posts

I like her already
Old 09-26-2004, 04:50 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

The RSR's will gain some nice tone after a few hundred miles, or several heat cycles. Keep them on for some time and I think you'll fall in love with them.. I did..
Old 09-26-2004, 12:50 PM
98993c2s
Addict
Rennlist Member

RSRs have just the right volume, and keep the original note. Not obnoxiously loud, but when at full song, they're perfect...for me anyway.
Old 09-26-2004, 01:00 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

That Premio Computer box looked familiar. Those of us who have bought RSR's stateside have seen it before. Congrats on the exhaust! Unless you like resonance, stick with the RSR's.
Old 09-26-2004, 02:09 PM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

i was driving through a tunnel in my wife's car (mbz wagon) as i got passed by something that certainly sounded like a harley - after regaining my witts, i look over it is a 993 with supercups. hmmm, i thought that was really really loud (i'm sure the tunnel didn't help) and then i thought - glad i went with the RSRs.

Cheers,
Boris
Old 09-26-2004, 05:26 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I am struggling with this same decision.... stock is definitely too quiet. RSR vs OEM Motorsound vs Fabspeed, etc. Definitely dont want resonance. Have searched and read archives several times....

It would be awesome if there were comparison audio clips out there somewhere...the guys on the E46 M3 board did this once, and has served for hundreds of people since. Kind of hard to make happen though....you basically need to find 4-5 fellow 993 owners in same area with different exhausts, and have them show up for a video/audio taping. I think the E46 one lasted about 5minutes in total, with each car at idle, then revving, then driving off, etc.

Anyways, I am leaning toward the RSR option...but this post concerns me a little, as it sounds like not much different than stock....for this guy anways.
Old 09-26-2004, 05:48 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 321 Posts

mrsullivan,

Fear not. There is plenty of great sound from the RSR's. New mufflers was the first mod I ever made, the decision having been made within thirty minutes of owning the car. Sound like ride quality and handling, are very subjective, but if you've gone through the archives, you've seen that there's a general consensus on Robin's mufflers. I noticed a big difference when I swapped the old ones out. Anything else that's non-OEM is going to give you resonance.

Quick Reply: New Goodies for my C2S! - Part II