993 Forum 1995-1998

Drive your Porsche ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2002, 03:47 PM
greg1234
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's an interesting question. I think the following:

1. The less you drive it, the more special it is. Like lots of other things in life. Bit of a bummer.

2. Compared with investments - a nice car gives you a guaranteed return, every day, whether you drive it or just sneak out and look at it.

3. The major problem in buying a rare care, or a perfect one, is that you become too scared to take it anywhere. I've got to the stage where I end up driving round and round parking lots trying to find a "safe" space. One time I got out, looked at the car, decided to fold the mirrors back, then thought that folding the mirrors back might give neighbours the impression there was more room than there actually was, so folded the mirrors back out again... Sheesh... Every time I come back to it I look for damage. And then there's the fact that my car's paintwork is so good, I hate to leave it outside all day, so I don't use it for commuting. Plus every mile I drive I start to worry about hurting the resale value.

When you get to this stage, it's no fun. The negatives, the fear and the stress outweigh the positives.

If I had the choice again, I'd go for a high-mileage 993, preferably without perfect paint. Then I'd use it a lot more and not worry so much. I still wouldn't use it *every day* though - I'd get more fun alternating with the Alpina...

Quick Reply: Drive your Porsche ?