Dirty rear end

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 02:38 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Dirty rear end

The rear of my car is constantly covered in soot from my exhaust. Is this normal? Anyone else notice this?

I thought a white car was going to be easy to take care of, but I'm having to clean its rear more often than a newborn.

Greg H.
Old 10-29-2003, 02:56 PM
95 GPW 993
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Greg - From what you've described, I don't think your problem is normal. My '95 993 is also white (59K miles), but I don't have the soot problem you're mentioning. Have you really revved it on a long drive recently?
Old 10-29-2003, 03:07 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Greg,

I are you sure it is soot from the exhaust? The entire rear bumper (from back of rear wheel to the other side) of my car gets dirty rather quickly with very fine blackish dirt (could be called soot I guess). I have always just assumed it was road grim being kicked up from the really wide rear wheels on to the really short low to the ground rear end. I just wash it when it gets unbearable to me. BTW I really rev my every time I drive it. I rarely shift prior to 4500k and will cruise at 4000k. Gas mileage be damned is my philosophy, I want fun to drive
Old 10-29-2003, 03:31 PM
PK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greg,
I agree with Brian here. If dirt/soot is evenly spread over the entire rear then you're OK. If just over the top of exhausts then you might have to worry about the eventual yellowing of your white rear bumper cover.

....and BTW that's what you get for having the "S" car so you would have a BIGGER butt to wipe.
Old 10-29-2003, 03:31 PM
Brent Spinks
Instructor

I don't have that problem with my white P-car.
Old 10-29-2003, 05:29 PM
///alpinepower
Advanced

greg, you are not driving fast enough to escape the contaminants.
Old 10-29-2003, 08:01 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Dang i thought this was a girlie picture thread.
Like on ferrari chat!
Old 10-29-2003, 08:13 PM
DKP 97 C2 Coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Greg,

I've always had the rear bumper/wheel flare area covered with fine black dust after any drive of more than a few miles. IMHO it's the rubber from the rear tires being ground off the tires. This explains (to me at least) why we only get a few K's out of the rear set. I've never considered it to be an exhaust issue. Cheers
Old 10-29-2003, 11:12 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I posted a similar observation the other day.

Whatever it is, and since it happens after just a few miles of driving, is it OK to clean the affected area of the car with something like Griot's Speed Shine or some other product between washings? Is this OK for the paint? Or should the car just be washed again?

And I guess a third alternative is to leave the s**t on the car and just drive it!

Thanks,
chuck
Old 10-30-2003, 12:32 AM
PDX Tim
Instructor

Greg,

I've noticed the exact problem you are talking about. I've always had this problem(owned the car for a year). My car is also white, so I think we notice the problem more that owners with darker colors.

I also think it is from the exhaust. I have no idea if it is normal. For my car it seems to be. I just had it in for its annual inspection/oil change and everything looked good. I have not noticed any other problems with the car.

I've found that washing and or Griot's speed shine gets most of it off. However, some of the particles are so stuck on the paint. I clay barred the whole thing. The clay really works on the stubborn particles.

By the way, what type of muffler do you have? I've got RSRs on mine. Just curious if they have anything to do with it. No offense to Robin. I love the way they sound. Just trying to get to the bottom of the soot issue.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:00 AM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If the rear flare and bumper are covered it is highly unlikely an exhaust issue. Just rubber and road grim.
Old 10-30-2003, 12:32 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

I took another look last night and I'm coming around to Brian and David's opinion that it's road and/or tire dust. It is spread pretty evenly across the entire rear of the car. I would think everyone has this "problem", maybe is just more noticable on a white car.

Alpinepower might be on to something - I haven't gotten a ticket in this car yet, so maybe I'm not going fast enough, although I only got 16 mpg at my last fill up, so I think I'm revving the engine enough.

I'm using quick detailer almost every other day I drive the car and it takes the stuff off pretty easily. My wife is pissed off because I constantly have a pile of microfiber towels in the laundry. I was using a California Duster, but it kind of got trashed from all the black stuff (how do you clean those things?).

Thanks for the input guys, I'll assume it is a non-issue for now.

Greg H.

Quick Reply: Dirty rear end