993 Forum 1995-1998

Gong keeps going after key off and removed

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 10:35 PM
captain satellite
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gong keeps going after key off and removed

The "gong" noise to warn you about the key left in the ignition keeps going when the doors are opened even if the key is removed from the ignition.

Did I do something wrong or is this happening to warn of (check engine) codes, etc. Even if not sitting in the car, the gong starts or keeps going. It stops when the door is closed.

Thanks.
Old 09-28-2016, 11:18 PM
squidge
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 45 Posts

Your parking/headlights are turned off fully?
Old 09-28-2016, 11:36 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by squidge
Your parking/headlights are turned off fully?
+1...Also, it will chime if you leave your turn signal stalk in the left or right turn position and remove the key.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:16 AM
captain satellite
Advanced

Lights off and turn signal stalk in neutral. Still the gong.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:37 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Interesting, I have never found my car to make any sounds when the key is left in or the lights are left on when I purchased it. That'a not broken, that's a feature! Years ago I found the feature on the wiring diagram but never found the actual components. I assumed my car simply did not have this feature. In a flash of ADD I even went ahead an added an aftermarket chirping buzzer for this function.

Where is the relay, that in my case is probably non-functional for this, located??

Last edited by pp000830; 09-29-2016 at 09:13 AM.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:55 AM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 733 Likes on 522 Posts

Mine makes zero sounds like that.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:30 AM
captain satellite
Advanced

I used to be able to pull the key out a bit to stop the the gong, if I was just repositioning the car or knew that I'd be right back into into the drivers seat or wanted to sit in the car with the door open. I might just look for the gong fuse and pull it if its isolated.

Somebody must of experienced this before.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:27 PM
davesnothere
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My first thought is a bad connection and/or dirty contacts to the ignition switch / cylinder, so that there's still continuity to the gong even though the key is removed.

I would look at lubricating / cleaning the ignition switch and see if that helps.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:06 PM
fullbooker
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car does the same thing, sometimes. I believe that the problem may be in the immobilizer system, but not sure which component.
When you exit car and try to lock doors with remote, do the door leds just flash? Are you unable to arm immobilizer with remote? Can you lock/unlock doors using switch on console?
Those are the symptions I'm dealing with.
Phil
Old 09-29-2016, 02:13 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by davesnothere
My first thought is a bad connection and/or dirty contacts to the ignition switch / cylinder, so that there's still continuity to the gong even though the key is removed.

I would look at lubricating / cleaning the ignition switch and see if that helps.
+1...

My gong sounds when:
  • The key is fully inserted in the ignition and either door is open.
  • The parking lights or headlights switches are in the "on" position (With or without the fog lamp switch on) and either door is open with key not in the ignition.
  • The turn signal stalk is in either the left or right turn position and either door is open with the key not in the ignition.

That said, like davesnothere, I would begin with the ignition switch. Use dry graphite and then turn the key back and forth several times to work it into the pins in the switch. If that doesn't eliminate the problem, then I'd start pulling fuses on the turn signal and parking lights to see if something was going on in one of those circuits. I'm betting it's the ignition switch though.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:00 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by davesnothere

...My thought as well. I was kinda surprised you're not having an immobilizer issue too; but as previously indicated, the ignition mechanism must be stuck in the "on" position and therefor not enabling the immobilizer to become active. Lucky you!
Old 09-29-2016, 10:25 PM
NoRush993/951
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had this issue and it was the spring failing in the ignition column. I did a write up on this. Search my posts from two years ago on the ignition column / locking/ alarm issues. More common problem than we give credit to.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:47 PM
NoRush993/951
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...sn-t-work.html

Read this. Might help. The sticking gong was the clue that helped me finally solve other locking issues.
Old 09-30-2016, 03:58 AM
akrca4
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by pp000830
Where is the relay, that in my case is probably non-functional for this, located??
The "gong" relay is behind the fuel gauge (the empty spot). I actually removed mine so I don't hear the gong anymore...
Attached Images  
Old 10-03-2016, 02:01 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by akrca4
The "gong" relay is behind the fuel gauge (the empty spot). I actually removed mine so I don't hear the gong anymore...
Thanks! Looks like a standard VW relay socket.
I like you fix too, I bet the previous owner applied your fix long before I owned the car.

Years ago my dad's 1972 Buick Electra had a door buzzer that wouldn't quit. I applied the 15 year old's fix. I put a screwdriver against it and hit the screwdriver with a hammer. With each strike its buzz became more shrill and emphatic like it was reacting to my killing it. After four or five blows it gave up the ghost! Now that was an odd beast of a car. I used it when it was way past its prime to store my kid's tricycles. When it was very old it tended to eat batteries so I began cutting wires under the dash after cutting six or seven wires the car no longer ran the battery down. Funny thing is I never found anything in the car that seemed to have stopped working for having its wires cut, go figure??

Quick Reply: Gong keeps going after key off and removed