993 GT2 look

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 05:48 PM
MD355
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 GT2 look

Hi to all !!

I recently heard about the sale of a Porsche 993 GT2 at RM auctions for more than GBP 1.8 million !!! This is crazy money !!

I've always liked the look of the 993 GT2 (a little extreme for street use) but was afraid to modify my car for loss of originality and damage to fenders. My Porsche 993 C2 is 100% original and in top condition. So cutting the fenders is out the question.

So here comes my idea :

There are a couple of affordable GT2 bodykits (I found one that is selling for $2600).
On top of that I need the GT2 18'' speedline rims (I bet I can find good replicas for about $1600-$1800)
I also need the rear bumper from the Turbo widebody model, in order to fit properly with the flare extensions.

And now the critical bit : (please be kind...)

If I raise the suspension is there a way to fit the wider 18'' rims in the existing rear fenders (in order to avoid cutting the fenders and keep the car original in case I get bored of the GT2 look) ???

Also, it there a way to fit the flares with some adhesive in order to avoid drilling the front and rear fenders ???

I know what I am asking is difficult... It is like asking for a boob-job without any scars !!! Hahaha

Any car-plastic-surgeons here to make any suggestions ???
Old 09-19-2016, 06:34 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

All roads lead to...RWB.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:53 PM
fsa
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 89 Posts
Default GT2

Maybe, instead of a plastic surgeon a psychiatrist?
Old 09-19-2016, 07:06 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by MD355
Hi to all !!

I recently heard about the sale of a Porsche 993 GT2 at RM auctions for more than GBP 1.8 million !!! This is crazy money !!

I've always liked the look of the 993 GT2 (a little extreme for street use) but was afraid to modify my car for loss of originality and damage to fenders. My Porsche 993 C2 is 100% original and in top condition. So cutting the fenders is out the question.

So here comes my idea :

There are a couple of affordable GT2 bodykits (I found one that is selling for $2600).
On top of that I need the GT2 18'' speedline rims (I bet I can find good replicas for about $1600-$1800)
I also need the rear bumper from the Turbo widebody model, in order to fit properly with the flare extensions.

And now the critical bit : (please be kind...)

If I raise the suspension is there a way to fit the wider 18'' rims in the existing rear fenders (in order to avoid cutting the fenders and keep the car original in case I get bored of the GT2 look) ???

Also, it there a way to fit the flares with some adhesive in order to avoid drilling the front and rear fenders ???

I know what I am asking is difficult... It is like asking for a boob-job without any scars !!! Hahaha

Any car-plastic-surgeons here to make any suggestions ???
It took you 11 years and 3 posts to come up with this crazy idea?

GT2 look cars are OK, but as you know, a clone is a clone. Conventional wisdom holds that you won't get back the money you spend on the conversion.

Good luck anyway
Old 09-19-2016, 07:11 PM
Holytin
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Your car will be heavier, drag will increase and performance will decrease. You have messed up a perfectly fine car and value will be decreased as well. You will find new friends driving rice burners, and they ask you to become one of their chief advisors. Shortly after the damage is done you are going to feel like a jacka.. and you are looking for someone to kick your hind end...

Really?!
Old 09-19-2016, 07:13 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Your lap times, assuming this is a track car, which I rather doubt, will drop with the wider tires and aero.
Old 09-19-2016, 07:21 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by MD355

The point of cutting the fenders is so that the tire doesn't rub. Once the tire sits 2" further out, the lip of the fender is going to cut into the tread, hence cutting out the lip and riveting on the extensions.

But yes, if the raise the suspension high enough so that when the shocks are bottomed out the tire still clears the fender lip, then it would be fine. Would look awfully strange though.

If you're set on a wilder look, an alternative (and without cutting up the fenders) is to mimic the RS or RS CS.

RS:

RS CS/Supercup:

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
All roads lead to...RWB.
Factory look is better than RWB, IMO. While I appreciate the work and craft, there's a point where you have to draw the line. Especially when it's just cosmetic. Otherwise, why not just put four-foot flare extensions on.

I mean when does it stop? Do you extend the flares so wide to the point that you need to account for the curvature of the earth?

Last edited by FrenchToast; 09-19-2016 at 07:47 PM.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:24 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 492 Likes on 364 Posts

I'm with French Toast. An RS conversion would be better suited for a NB and retains the factory look IMHO. I think the GT2 look works better on a WB unless you're planning on hacking up your fenders. It's not just form but function. The wing and front splitter add tremendous downforce and added stability at speed.

Old 09-19-2016, 10:08 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
All roads lead to...RWB.
the ultimate 'show' over 'go' makeover
Old 09-20-2016, 12:26 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Sarcasm, gentlemen, sarcasm.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:58 AM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 734 Likes on 522 Posts

Why ? another one bites the dust..... somehow I hear RWB in your future....... .. . . . .
Old 09-20-2016, 10:54 AM
MD355
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys are funny !!! Thanks for the comments !!!

Don't take me wrong, I love my car... And I wish I could keep both the 993 C2 and buy a project car to make it look 993 GT2 (since original 993 GT2 is out of most people's budget !!)

The main conclusion is this : it is easier to make the car look RSR with rear wing and front spoiler plus rims.

Everything else is more complicated...

Furthermore, I understand the the big GT2 spoiler messes up the aerodynamics and the downforce...

So either go the whole 9 yards (suspension geometry etc etc) or just forget it, as it will become dangerous at high speed and unstable...

So, I guess I will keep the 993 C2 stock and just buy the poster of the GT2 !!!! Hahaha It saves a lot of money and keeps me safe too... Maybe I change my mind and revisit this thread in the future !!!
Old 09-20-2016, 11:26 AM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 734 Likes on 522 Posts

Good idea
Old 09-20-2016, 01:16 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

To build a GT2 replica you need to start with a widebody car not a NB C2, you could cut off the rear fenders in their entirety and then weld in a set of turbo /c4s fenders and then start the process of building a GT2.

You cannot get away with doing this without cutting the fenders, you could not get the ride height high enough to get the clearance you want and it would look just plain dumb....

The Pics above are 993 RS or 993 RSCS, these are not wide body cars, and they have no fender extensions etc., you can create those visuals by buying front and rear spoilers and the side skirts (Like my car).

The RSR is a different beast again. The RSR is built on a NB car, with what is essentially GT2 front fender additions with a specific read fender extension designed for the narrow body car. The RSR rear width is the same as a standard Turbo or C4S.

Interested in your thoughts re the GT2 body work messing up aerodynamics and body work and becoming dangerous at high speed and unstable. The exact opposite is the case, the extra downforce will help stabilize the car at speed and make it better at teh track. The issue bsing on a high speed track the stock motor will be the biggest downside, with downforce comes drag, which can only be overcome by HP, of which the GT2 had plenty!

The 993 RSCS body work is very effective on the track as will be confirmed by Bill V and others...
Old 09-20-2016, 01:20 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This is a 993 RS

This is a 993 RSCS

THis is a 993 RSR (Front)

993 RSR Rear

Quick Reply: 993 GT2 look