Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My precious won't start!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2003 | 06:24 AM
jaapie
8th Gear

Post My precious won't start!!!

Please, I need as much help as possible. Here is the story, I washed my '95 993, went for a drive and parked her back in her place...two days later cranked her up and...nothing. checked the forums, got a new DME, checked the immobiliser...nothing, who sdtole the breath from my precious! Went to Porsche Portugal and was pleasantly surprised to know they have booked her in for a new wiring harness (any advice on what i should have done to her while they drop her engine?). Had the AA come last night to check the car...after disconnecting the fuel pipe we came to the conclusion there is no fuel being pumped into the engine. Do fuel pumps break? what is their lifespan...car has 60k miles. I so desperately want to get her sideways round the city centre again!
Old 06-12-2003 | 06:43 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

While you are having the wiring harness replaced, you should get all new belts (assuming that they have not been done recently). They are very cheap, and the old ones are removed anyway while the wiring harness is replaced, so you should not pay any labour, only around 12 euros a belt, or thereabouts.

Yes, fuel pumps break, but perhaps someone with better technical knowledge can chime in here. There may be a relay or other electrical items to check too.
Old 06-12-2003 | 06:50 AM
jaapie
8th Gear

Thankyou for the advice Graham, I'll add that to my list along with the valve cover gasgets.
Old 06-12-2003 | 07:33 AM
Jim Carmichael
Advanced

Prior to replacing my wiring harness a car wash would elicit all sorts of strange behaviour and dash lights coming on, etc. Would not be surprised if this was the issue.
Old 06-12-2003 | 09:06 AM
Surj-993C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

No fuel being pumped into the engine is probably because your DME relay is either still faulty or not fitted properly. The relay has two coils in it, one of which provides power for the fuel pump.

A number of UK 993 owners have had more than one faulty DME relays, I seem to remember one instance where the replacement DME relay that was faulty was made in Hungary, whereas the second replacement was made in Germany. I keep a spare in the car at all times (German made) - better to get the dealership to try that first.
Old 06-12-2003 | 09:59 AM
jaapie
8th Gear

that's interesting surj, the new relay I picked up at the dealer as made in Hungary! the DME I replaced was tested on a 964 in the shop and the car started without a glitch! checked the fitting of the DME several times, with the key in the ignition I took out the dme and put it back in and i can hear the coils springing to life and the pump working...my car has just been picked up as we speak! no raving mad weekend for me I'm afraid.
Old 06-12-2003 | 04:06 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

AFAIK, they don't "DROP the engine" for the wiring harness. I asked because I was doing the clutch at the same time. They said no, we don't... Belts are a good idea though, they did mine for free (part cost only) because they were "in there" !
Old 06-13-2003 | 08:54 AM
jaapie
8th Gear

Belts are definitely a cracking idea! I am also hoping that the reason the car doesn't start is the harness! DME is definitely not the problem! wondering if it is the immobiliser which cuts off the fuel supply!

Quick Reply: My precious won't start!!!